Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 05:55 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,369,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
We don't need to interpret; we need to listen to the specifics, not paraphrase them inaccurately. At no time does Fauci claim or predict that 200,000 people will die as claimed a few pages ago. Incorrect alarmist rhetoric does nothing to further the truth.
Not really correct, you are kind of mincing the truth. Fauchi said the models predict 100,000 to 200,000 people will die in the US IF we do things almost perfectly such as practicing social distancing. They are not his models, he is only stating what best guess is. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...0000-americans

Quote:
Dr Anthony Fauci, the leading US government infectious disease expert, offered a grim prediction on Sunday: the coronavirus could kill as many as 200,000 Americans.

“I mean, looking at what we’re seeing now, I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 … deaths,” Fauci told CNN’s State of the Union, though he added: “I just don’t think that we really need to make a projection, when it’s such a moving target that you can so easily be wrong and mislead people.”
From https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...we-do-n1171876

Quote:
Birx said the projections by Dr. Anthony Fauci that U.S. deaths could range from 1.6 million to 2.2 million is a worst case scenario if the country did "nothing" to contain the outbreak, but said even "if we do things almost perfectly," she still predicts up to 200,000 U.S. deaths.

Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, reiterated Monday on CNN that "I don't want to see it, I'd like to avoid it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 100,000 deaths."

Birx said the best case scenario would be for "100 percent of Americans doing precisely what is required, but we're not sure that all of America is responding in a uniform way to protect one another," referencing images circulating online of people still congregating in big groups and ignoring guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
You are the one that is paraphrasing inaccurate information. He certainly did say the models predicted this could kill as many as 200,000. The models also said 1.6-2.2 million if did nothing.

Last edited by ddeemo; 03-31-2020 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The question I have is are those spreading such misinformation doing it out of basic ignorance or a desire to deceive?
So which is it, ignorance or desire to deceive - seems like you are spreading misinformation.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:42 PM

13,637 posts, read 9,696,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
So which is it, ignorance or desire to deceive - seems like you are spreading misinformation.
We shouldn't be quick to judge. One analogy is a confrontational situation in traffic. If another driver cuts me off, what's the reason? Is this driver actively trying to cause me harm? Is the driver simply so arrogant as to disregard the interests of anyone besides himself, while not necessarily wishing any harm? Or was the driver simply distracted for a moment? Finally, the driver might have been actively paying attention, but simply didn't see me.

In other words, we can't always distinguish between stupidity and outright ill-intent.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:45 PM

6,335 posts, read 2,888,197 times
Quote:
China is also notorious for its misinformation, secrecy, and censorship, which raises the chances that new diseases will fester and spread. Back in early January, Chinese government officials told the public that the new infection's spread had been effectively halted. This was not true. At the same time, the authoritarian regime bullied health experts who attempted to sound alarm. The young doctor Li Wenliang attempted to warn others about the new coronavirus. He was 'rewarded' with a threatening reprimand by police. Li subsequently caught COVID-19 and succumbed to the disease the first week of February.
https://www.realclearscience.com/blo..._in_china.html

Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Not really correct, you are kind of mincing the truth. Fauchi said the models predict 100,000 to 200,000 people will die in the US IF we do things almost perfectly such as practicing social distancing. They are not his models, he is only stating what best guess is. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...0000-americans

From https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...we-do-n1171876

You are the one that is paraphrasing inaccurate information. He certainly did say the models predicted this could kill as many as 200,000. The models also said 1.6-2.2 million if did nothing.

I am supporting the truth, not mincing it. There is precision in language and as a scientist Fauci understands and appreciates that. It is that precision that keeps information accurate and a lack of precision that allows the spread of erroneous information. It is his candor that has earned him such respect. That should not be undermined by people putting false words in his mouth.

A claim was made by Jamin that Fauci predicted 200,000 deaths. Once again, for at least the third time, Fauci did not predict 200,000 deaths. Her claim was wrong! Saying what the models predicted does not make any of them his prediction.

I have paraphrased nothing, I attached a video of Fauci's interview in which he discusses statistical modeling and his characterizations of its benefits. He did this very precisely. For someone to make the claim that he predicted any certain quantity of fatalities is flat out wrong. 200,000 was the highest acme of the models he cited; it was the extreme - he did not endorse it. His exact words were "I just don't think that we really need to make a projection when it's such a moving target that you could so easily be wrong and mislead people." (You can find that at 4:49 of the video attached above.) You have even included the quote above, why ignore it?

Why are you so anxious to support an inaccurate characterization of his words? Why make it any easier for people to be misled?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:23 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Precisely what "misinformation" am I spreading? Show the quote or withdraw your claim.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:17 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,256 times
Aren't we getting away from what matters at this point? A fair observation was made about a real possibility. Calling it horseshoes or hand grenades at this point is counter productive.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:00 PM

17,525 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What does everyone think about this one:

We probably can't avoid 5G, take some extra magnesium and walk barefoot on the ground/beach may help.
Vitamin C has been mistreated by conventional medicine for over 60 years, just how much longer can we avoid facing the impact of electrical technology on life? Without life, technology or money has no purpose.

2003 - 3G introduced to the world
2003 - SARS outbreak

2009 - 4G introduced to the world
2009 - Swine flu outbreak

2020 - 5G introduced to the world
2020 - Coronavirus outbreak
So viruses are caused by electro-magnetic waves??

I doubt that seriously

China is the hotbed because of the wet markets being near the bio labe and the animals are sold to the markets by underpaid workers (Instead of euthanizing and incinerating them per protocol)

Old 03-31-2020, 11:04 PM

17,525 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I'll take Fauci's info over yours 100 days out of 99.
Amen, he's one of the premier immunologists in the world

Old 04-01-2020, 02:31 AM

Quote:
I am supporting the truth, not mincing it. There is precision in language and as a scientist Fauci understands and appreciates that. It is that precision that keeps information accurate and a lack of precision that allows the spread of erroneous information. It is his candor that has earned him such respect. That should not be undermined by people putting false words in his mouth.

A claim was made by Jamin that Fauci predicted 200,000 deaths. Once again, for at least the third time, Fauci did not predict 200,000 deaths. Her claim was wrong! Saying what the models predicted does not make any of them his prediction.

I have paraphrased nothing, I attached a video of Fauci's interview in which he discusses statistical modeling and his characterizations of its benefits. He did this very precisely. For someone to make the claim that he predicted any certain quantity of fatalities is flat out wrong. 200,000 was the highest acme of the models he cited; it was the extreme - he did not endorse it. His exact words were "I just don't think that we really need to make a projection when it's such a moving target that you could so easily be wrong and mislead people." (You can find that at 4:49 of the video attached above.) You have even included the quote above, why ignore it?

Why are you so anxious to support an inaccurate characterization of his words? Why make it any easier for people to be misled?
I quoted him exactly, you quoted only part of his statement. I included that statement in my quote, I did not ignore it but look at what he said just prior "between 100,000 and 200,00 deaths" and what Dr Birx said was similar. It is the top but it is misleading to downplay it as not in the realm of possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness