Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,062,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And God please...put some restrictions on how many the average person can buy. We don't need ANOTHER hoarding situation.
The hoarders seem to have an endless supply of money. Point me in the direction to that money tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 08:08 PM

1,517 posts, read 983,566 times
Well, I've worn (leather) gloves and tied bandanas around my face for years when en bike, especially when I'm out riding with my buddies, but that's because I'm a badass.

Gee, never thought I'd see the day come when I actually blended in with the masses. Sad and pathetic what this country's coming to, it is.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:58 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,062,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Well, I've worn (leather) gloves and tied bandanas around my face for years when en bike, especially when I'm out riding with my buddies, but that's because I'm a badass.

Gee, never thought I'd see the day come when I actually blended in with the masses. Sad and pathetic what this country's coming to, it is.
Sorry dude.

I remember wearing bandanas when I mowed our lawn in the 70's because I had allegies and we were too poor to afford masks.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 7,638,556 times
I heard the Surgeon General say today that the homemade or cheaper masks would be fine for the public, but to please not us the N95's and save those for the healthcare workers.

And we do want to protect them the most, so I agree.

My niece works at a NY hospital and says that the virus can also get in your eyes even if you're wearing a mask.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 814,178 times
Does anyone else think they'd feel self conscious wearing a face mask to the grocery store?

It's not just about vanity, I just have never worn a big white face mask out in public.

When I first saw a few people wearing them out, I thought to myself that they were the ones that had the corona virus.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:02 PM

972 posts, read 538,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've been making my own; here's a pattern:
https://www.nytimes.com/article/how-...ronavirus.html
I was looking forward to seeing the pattern, but the article is behind their paywall. I'm sure there are other patterns online.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:10 PM

972 posts, read 538,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Does anyone else think they'd feel self conscious wearing a face mask to the grocery store?

It's not just about vanity, I just have never worn a big white face mask out in public.

When I first saw a few people wearing them out, I thought to myself that they were the ones that had the corona virus.
People with coronavirus, or even with undiagnosed symptoms, shouldn't be going out at all. They should have groceries delivered. Granted, there are a lot of people making their own rules.

I'm guessing that many people would think you're taking the extra step to wear the mask because you don't believe the advice against wearing one.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:19 PM

5,680 posts, read 4,221,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Do you think healthcare workers are all clamoring for masks because they all have coronavirus?

Health care workers are in constant close contact with sick, infected persons shedding a lot of virus. The average person going to the store or walking in the park is not.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:42 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,059,204 times
Last week of February I took my 16 year old to the ER because urgent care was closed & I found out from his teacher very late in the day that strep was going around. He had a fever, sore throat & cough. I made him wear a mask & I wore one as well.

I got yelled at because they were surgical masks not N95 so "why would you wear a mask when we haven't said to". Lol. I'm here for a strep test & if I want a mask on I'm not waiting for permission.

I simply told them it was because my son doesn't cover his mouth when he coughs (autism) & that "we are doing this to protect YOU" & then they were okay. The strep test was negative.

Come to find out last night that the entire group one of my daughters traveled to Italy with in January came down with difficulty breathing & fevers. The first one to get sick had even been in an Italian hospital before they returned January 11th. After she returned we all got sick but Italy lists January 29 as their first confirmed case. My dad got sick & was hospitalized for fainting spells.

I got sick after my son, a few days after that ER visit with a fever & cough that took my breath away. My legs & hips ached so bad & I still have eczema on my legs which only happens after a viral infection. I would bet money that if we were to take an antibody test today that it would be positive. We did not connect all the dots until last night & part of what threw me off was the 'first case reported' issue.

And I bet if the ER staff knew what I know now they would be glad we wore masks that day we came in.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:02 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,059,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post

If people know they have COVID they should not be out period. I have been wearing them for weeks & yes I feel self-conscious but I know I am doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness