Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 07:39 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
When I think of densely packed populations, I think of London, Mumbai, Hong Kong or Singapore. What's so odd to me in the data is that this virus, now over 400,000 people....seems to be hitting the US even as the rest of the nations slow it down. Is it that other nations aren't reporting? What are other nations doing that the US isn't?
IMO, under-reporting is happening all around the world b/c some (many) infected have not shown symptoms and/or have not been tested.

As for the US, it's been a complete disaster and an utter failure.

I watch US news everyday and it's unbelievable how badly this has been handled - at the Fed, state, county, city level and including the citizens.

It's beyond stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 08:22 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
First, you have to look at the cases per million. In that, the US is behind Italy, Spain, etc.

BUT, at the rate we are going we will probably have more cases per million when all is said and done. We have 48 sets of rules and can easily drive back and forth to those different areas. That's not how you contain a pathogen.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2020, 08:34 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Since the beginning, the government response has been poor that people shouldn't use face masks. That decision already caused tens of thousands of people to disregard their safety and get infected.

Right. And there were experts saying "Don't wear masks" because the great majority of Americans are dumb, and we'll infect ourselves with our masks. (I paraphrased a little. LOL)

For a while, I was on the fence if I should or I shouldn't start wearing a mask. Then I heard the rumor that the CDC was going to suggest it, which kind of tipped the scale for me. Plus, someone in the forum, I don't remember who, had said how it was mandatory in China, to wear masks in public, and as populated as China is, but their total infected numbers are low, compared to total population... I was sold. Start wearing a mask.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I started wearing masks in Feb. WHEN I went out, which wasn't much, and I still do. We do not need to go out very often though, we filled up the pantry, and both fridges in Feb. also, when we saw what was happening. We also trade off with neighbors picking stuff up at the store so we can always have fresh food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2020, 11:20 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There weren't any masks to get, the were sold out everywhere almost immediately even though it was recommended we NOT wear them because A) they would do more harm than good and B) healthcare providers needed them. I have some N95's but everyone was saying we should donate them to hospitals because we didn't need them.

But the fact that they were all sold out quickly tells me that plenty of people did buy and wear them, you just didn't know any personally.
They're still pretty easy to order off Amazon & I'm sure some other online retailers NOW & NOW is the time they're just now starting to mk mask-wearing mandatory. So I think more people could have ordered them IF they wanted to back then.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Differential rates and manners of travel. Check out a map of CoViD cases-- highest rates of infection mostly centered on international business/travel hubs.
You beat me to it, not to mention, which someone just did, we have better testing and more accurate reporting.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's a combination of things.

1. Slow to respond to the warnings.
2. Travel related infections, it was transplanted, took too long to restrict travel (see #1)
3. Population density
4. Lack of testing for the general population, you can play the blame game on this one and never get anywhere. Unfortunately we will have to learn from our mistakes.
5. probably the most damaging would be that asymptomatic people can spread it. This could of been prevented as done in South Korea (see #4)

Instead of being proactive we were reactive. It's a balancing act with the economy, you can't shut everything down till you have no choice. In this case, it cost many lives.
Testing is probably better here than in other counties. Maybe speed of results isn't better but the testing probably is.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:54 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
They're still pretty easy to order off Amazon & I'm sure some other online retailers NOW & NOW is the time they're just now starting to mk mask-wearing mandatory. So I think more people could have ordered them IF they wanted to back then.
Not true, Amazon has NO N95 mask for sale, you can buy Anti Dust Mask.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:59 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Right. The masks are protecting ME from YOU. That has never changed.

Old 04-10-2020, 03:49 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Testing is probably better here than in other counties. Maybe speed of results isn't better but the testing probably is.
Show me that testing is better here. I would say it was slower and the first tests the CDC shipped did not work and had to be re-manufactured. The CDC has not detailed of what went wrong with the tests but IMO we lost almost two weeks of testing by not using the German protocol used in tests shipped by WHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness