Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:35 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

I'm a former smoker. I quit about 14 or so years ago, after trying numerous times. I was able to do it by chewing nicotine gum.

I never got colds much when I was a smoker, and still don't. I think it's because I wash my hands a lot (I always have pets), and I still have my tonsils.

I'm not sure tobacco is any worse for society than guns. It makes no sense to address one thing and not the other, since both are killing people. Actually, the argument can be made that guns are worse, since those kill innocent victims, while tobacco kills the person who chooses to use it.

It has been cool to demonize tobacco for years. It's gone overboard, IMO. It's bad, yes. So are processed foods - arguably unhealthier than tobacco (we have a global morbid obesity problem, linked to processed foods & lifestyle). So is the eating of beef - known to cause cancer. So is alcohol - the U S is home to millions of alcoholics, which ruins health & destroys lives not just of the users, but those around him.

We humans are imperfect and love our vices. Always have, always will. We can't legislate vices away. We learned that with prohibition. The current path is the right one, IMO. Making it unpopular & unwelcome & expensive. That seems to be working.

Now it's time to make eating fast food, owning assault weapons, and eating beef unpopular, unwelcome, & expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 12:13 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm a former smoker. I quit about 14 or so years ago, after trying numerous times. I was able to do it by chewing nicotine gum.

I never got colds much when I was a smoker, and still don't. I think it's because I wash my hands a lot (I always have pets), and I still have my tonsils.

I'm not sure tobacco is any worse for society than guns. It makes no sense to address one thing and not the other, since both are killing people. Actually, the argument can be made that guns are worse, since those kill innocent victims, while tobacco kills the person who chooses to use it.

It has been cool to demonize tobacco for years. It's gone overboard, IMO. It's bad, yes. So are processed foods - arguably unhealthier than tobacco (we have a global morbid obesity problem, linked to processed foods & lifestyle). So is the eating of beef - known to cause cancer. So is alcohol - the U S is home to millions of alcoholics, which ruins health & destroys lives not just of the users, but those around him.

We humans are imperfect and love our vices. Always have, always will. We can't legislate vices away. We learned that with prohibition. The current path is the right one, IMO. Making it unpopular & unwelcome & expensive. That seems to be working.

Now it's time to make eating fast food, owning assault weapons, and eating beef unpopular, unwelcome, & expensive.

Except for that 'Shall not be infringed' thingy.

(^^^^^ Yeah, I know that there essentially is infringement. I follow the law, I just think that SCOTUS rulings that have influenced that are wrong).

There's no Constitutional right to smoke.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:27 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

(^^^^^ Yeah, I know that there essentially is infringement. I follow the law, I just think that SCOTUS rulings that have influenced that are wrong).

How 'bout that whole "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" thingy ?

Old 04-12-2020, 02:28 PM

384 posts, read 229,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
How 'bout that whole "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" thingy ?
How about 85% of the population being non-smokers having a right to not have to breathe the smoke of the addicted? How about some fast facts on second hand smoke...

Secondhand smoke is known to cause cancer. It has more than 7,000 chemicals, including at least 70 that can cause cancer. Secondhand smoke causes approximately 7,330 deaths from lung cancer and 33,950 deaths from heart disease each year. There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke and even short-term exposure potentially can increase the risk of heart attacks.

Even cigarette butts are considered a toxic environmental poison...

Littered cigarette butts leach toxic chemicals—such as arsenic (used to kill rats) and lead, to name a few—into the environment and can contaminate water. The toxic exposure can poison fish, as well as animals who eat cigarette butts.

I don't think the poisoning of non-smokers and the planet is a right covered by the constitution.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:31 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
This is NOT the time to go on what is apparently a personal rant against smokers. Lets worry about people who have no or little food, no income, loved ones in harms way, etc.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:43 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeMed View Post
How about 85% of the population being non-smokers having a right to not have to breathe the smoke of the addicted? How about some fast facts on second hand smoke...

Secondhand smoke is known to cause cancer. It has more than 7,000 chemicals, including at least 70 that can cause cancer. Secondhand smoke causes approximately 7,330 deaths from lung cancer and 33,950 deaths from heart disease each year. There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke and even short-term exposure potentially can increase the risk of heart attacks.

Littered cigarette butts leach toxic chemicals—such as arsenic (used to kill rats) and lead, to name a few—into the environment and can contaminate water. The toxic exposure can poison fish, as well as animals who eat cigarette butts.

I don't think the poisoning of non-smokers and the planet is a right covered by the constitution.

Lawd....then dont hang with smokers. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
This is NOT the time to go on what is apparently a personal rant against smokers. Lets worry about people who have no or little food, no income, loved ones in harms way, etc.
This. Amen.

So beyond normal thinking....

Old 04-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

There's no Constitional right to use an assault rifle.

There's no Constitutional right to eat processed foods.

There's no Constitutional right to eat beef.

The Constitution isn't a list of what you may & may not do. It's a living breathing document that contains the broad guidelines; it's up to the Courts to determine the rights as to each particular thing in a particular circumstance at a particular point in time. A right to do something can change with the circumsntace. Do you have freedom of speech? You bet. But not everywhere, saying anything you want. When it conflicts w/someone else's rights, the line is drawn there.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeMed View Post

i have to breathe the smog spewing from the local plants, and the exhaust from gas guzzlers.

You have protections against being forced to breathe tobacco smoke. If you are breathing it, you're doing something wrong. I never have to breathe tobacco smoke. Why would I? Unless I choose to go visit someone who smokes, or eat in a restaurant in the smoking section (if they still have those)...but I never encounter it.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:57 PM

832 posts, read 466,346 times

Old 04-12-2020, 06:11 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
i have to breathe the smog spewing from the local plants, and the exhaust from gas guzzlers.

You have protections against being forced to breathe tobacco smoke. If you are breathing it, you're doing something wrong. I never have to breathe tobacco smoke. Why would I? Unless I choose to go visit someone who smokes, or eat in a restaurant in the smoking section (if they still have those)...but I never encounter it.
Exactly. There's a slight chance of encountering cigarette smoke downwind on a street from someone smoking, but it's not like it's everywhere.
I find the maps of the satelites worldwide smog clearing since the lockdown absolutely fascinating.
So few gas guzzlers too, gas is so cheap but there's no reason to buy it...
The changes happening to the planet right now are wonderful and point to just how horrible we are for the planet. It's able to breathe...!
I don't want millions or billions of us to have to die from any plague. There's something wrong with capitalism when I see these beautiful changes in the environment, there's just too much greed, and too many needy people who have so little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness