Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 10:14 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Actually in my neighborhood I've never seen so many people riding bikes/walking........its like meeting new neighbors every day!

I've actually eaten better, restaurants are closed!
Me too! I've lost 6 lbs.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:03 PM

10,553 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Obesity is what almost killed my sister's husband a few years back when he contracted pneumonia. Pneumonia is bad enough, but add to that his own weight crushing down on his lungs. His O2 levels were in the 30s, he almost died until they got him a bed that would turn him upside down to take the weight off of his lungs...
That's interesting. Has he worked at losing weight since then?

I will resist the temptation to get into discussion about why so many Americans are overweight.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:13 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I don't know how you measure reality to come up with that false conclusion - dangerously misleading, possibly malicious, false conclusion. Please stop.

I come from a long line of frugal, parsimonious, CHEAP people and I measure reality in real numbers, including, but not limited to, dollars and cents, and also including common sense.

By that measure, healthy food is by far and away less expensive than bad food, every single day, every single time.

The problem is that too many people do not know how to measure reality accurately.

In addition to these kinds of posts, it doesn't help when dangerously misleading, possibly malicious advertising also lead people on to unhealthy food.

And we know who pays for that kind of advertising, on both ends of the deal.

Good Luck!
You can throw the thesaurus out there all that you want, it doesn't make you correct. You are grotesquely misinformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
That's interesting. Has he worked at losing weight since then?

I will resist the temptation to get into discussion about why so many Americans are overweight.
Well, they are/were lazy, for starters. My sister does have MS which does make it difficult for her, but she's not as incapable as she would like some to believe.

And they eat a lot. They don't eat all day long, but they eat a lot when they do.

However, after that scare, my sister went to the store and bought up a whole bunch of healthy food. Left them broke, but they had healthy food. And then she started finding recipes to make that food. I think they went vegan or vegetarian. It scared the hell out of her. She also busted out the treadmill that had been sitting in the garage for 3 years. That exercise also helps with her MS.

Still fat, he had a LOT of weight to lose, and that kind of weight doesn't just come off in a year - or even two - and there's going to have to be something done about all the loose skin, but yes, she runs that household, and him almost dying got her to make a lot of changes.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the way that people are describing their sudden shortness of breath coming on with the corona virus, was exactly how it happened with him, and that was a few years ago. He was sitting in the living room perfectly fine, and all of a sudden, he could not breathe. Within 30 minutes, he was at the hospital with the diagnosis of pneumonia, and his oxygen levels were falling fast - mainly because of his weight, as I said in my first post, crushing down on his lungs, making things even worse.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 04-15-2020 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 03:00 PM

10,553 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Edit: Forgot to mention, the way that people are describing their sudden shortness of breath coming on with the corona virus, was exactly how it happened with him, and that was a few years ago. He was sitting in the living room perfectly fine, and all of a sudden, he could not breathe. Within 30 minutes, he was at the hospital with the diagnosis of pneumonia, and his oxygen levels were falling fast - mainly because of his weight, as I said in my first post, crushing down on his lungs, making things even worse.
A former colleague of mine mentioned experiencing something similar a few years back. Upon waking in the AM he "couldn't breathe". Not sick, just quite overweight. He's about Boris Johnson of UK's size, 5'9" 230 lbs, and both of them hide their weight quite well.

Instead of working to lose weight, he's resigned to dying prematurely. At least, that's what he says.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
There are a LOT of people in denial. I can't tell you how many times I've read comments on an obesity article saying "I'm medically obese, but I'm healthy. I just had a complete physical and my doctor hasn't found anything wrong with me at all." I remember Chris Christie sitting on Letterman saying exactly that, and he was morbidly obese.

I also know people who are obese but think they aren't. Obesity is so common that it's becoming normalized, and a surprising number of people with obesity classify themselves as normal, and if they're normal they can't be obese, right?
Well it's become common in the US. I go over to Ireland a couple of times a year, and you don't see many overweight people like you do here. They eat a heavier meal around lunchtime, and drink water and not much soda.

The same for many other European countries.

If you look at old news footage from the 60s and 70s in the USA with crowds and people on the streets, you didn't see many obese people.

Sounds terrible but if you saw very overweight people in Ireland, they were usually American tourists.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:45 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well it's become common in the US. I go over to Ireland a couple of times a year, and you don't see many overweight people like you do here. They eat a heavier meal around lunchtime, and drink water and not much soda.

The same for many other European countries.

If you look at old news footage from the 60s and 70s in the USA with crowds and people on the streets, you didn't see many obese people.

Sounds terrible but if you saw very overweight people in Ireland, they were usually American tourists.
It's disgraceful how many obese people we have. This is the reason our lifespan on average is lower than most developed countries.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
This thread has run its course. It's supposed to be about NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness