Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 07:21 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

My kids school just closed the schools for the rest of the school year. My son is in 8th grade. We have no idea what to do now. My husband and I have to work still so the kids are home by themself. We have no other family.
Let's see, some of you suggest staying home until there is a vaccine..lol. ok. We would cancel schools for another year then. And all other businesses.
Death of a virus would be nothing in comparison so the destruction the alternative would be. Nothing!
I suggest employers give their workers the options to self quarantine and work from home after economy opens up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 07:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My kids school just closed the schools for the rest of the school year. My son is in 8th grade. We have no idea what to do now. My husband and I have to work still so the kids are home by themself. We have no other family.
Let's see, some of you suggest staying home until there is a vaccine..lol. ok. We would cancel schools for another year then. And all other businesses.
Death of a virus would be nothing in comparison so the destruction the alternative would be. Nothing!
I suggest employers give their workers the options to self quarantine and work from home after economy opens up.
The number of people who would die from other diseases and malnutrition would be 10x that of those dying from coronavirus. But let's push thee country into the next Great Depression ... great idea. /faceplant/

And parents who leave kids alone would be brought up on charges from CPS. So they either work and lose their kids, or don't work and have no food and lose their house.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:58 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
The only reason there was ever a quarantine was to give the hospitals a chance to deal with it. It's not going away and more will get it until we have Herd Antibodies which is already starting to happen. We shouldn't forget that 63,510 as of today have recovered and with 700,000 cases, many of them will soon be recovered as well. There are likely untold millions of Americans who also already had a mild case and will no longer be vulnerable to a life threatening new infection. Although they may get it again they now have antibodies since they already beat it once.

That said, it's still too early to start reopening. The hospitals are still overwhelmed and will likely be until after May. Best guess would be that we shouldn't look at reopening until June 1st.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:13 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
The only reason there was ever a quarantine was to give the hospitals a chance to deal with it. It's not going away and more will get it until we have Herd Antibodies which is already starting to happen.

Its called herd immunity. The problem is we don't even know if having the disease confers immunity, or for how long. Common cold doesn't confer immunity.

Quote:

We shouldn't forget that 63,510 as of today have recovered and with 700,000 cases, many of them will soon be recovered as well. There are likely untold millions of Americans who also already had a mild case and will no longer be vulnerable to a life threatening new infection.

See above. We DO NOT KNOW THAT.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:17 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
Sorry bout your school - but most places closed a month ago. THOSE parents have been figuring out what to do since the beginning of March.

What did you do with your kids in the summer?

Old 04-18-2020, 08:21 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
That said, it's still too early to start reopening. The hospitals are still overwhelmed and will likely be until after May. Best guess would be that we shouldn't look at reopening until June 1st.
I agree that it is too early to start "re-opening" and my guess too is that June 1st may be a good starting point for many places especially with relatively dense populations (maybe less densely populated areas can begin earlier).

However, I question whether "hospitals are still overwhelmed".

I live in Dade County (Miami), the densest in Florida, State which is number three in population in the US, and according to one website which tracks hospitalizations throughout the State, no hospitals - zero - are or have been overwhelmed (100% capacity filled and people waiting in halls, reception areas, on the street, or in tents) and the Dade County hospital system consistently has had around 35% excess capacity so far, and that despite some 9,000 cumulative cases and some 800 cumulative hospitalizations (not everyone is in hospital at the same time, which is exactly what mitigation measures are designed to achieve).

How do you define "overwhelmed"? Is it number of beds filled, number of swabs available? Some other measure or set of measures?

Please list exact hospitals that are overwhelmed by some exact measure (maybe some in NYC area were overwhelmed) and their percentage of total hospitals in their respective county systems and their States and the entire US.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:38 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My kids school just closed the schools for the rest of the school year.
Nah, your kid's school closed for the rest of the school year the day they shut down the school. It's only today that they officially let you know that.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:23 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Things better start opening up. Just heard again last night from a former NY Times reporter on the cure for all this is far worse than the damage done. People are struggling worse than ever and many had tough times before all this Hype. And that STRESS is the #1 killer of our immune systems.

Just this morning an investigative reporter I follow sent thru a long article on the "protests against all the lockdowns"...
It's a delicate balancing act. The economy is destroyed and we go into a major depression if this lock down continues too much longer. If we don't go into mitigation lock down, every state looks like New York with hundreds of thousands infected and tens of thousands dead and health care systems broken all over the country. Do you think that scenario is good for the economy? Probably not. Lets say we open up too early without proper testing and tracking in place and cases surge again. The stock market gets jittery and crashes again? People do not go out anyway because they see the refrigerator trucks parked in their neighborhood housing dead bodies because the morticians can't keep up? Is consumer confidence destroyed and restaurants still remain empty? Sure there are still Darwin award recipients out there that believe the propaganda that this is just a cold. What do you do with stubborn and stupid? Maybe fine them for not staying home.

None of us wants to be where we are in this country now, but this isn't the time to be selfish. We have to do our part and starve this virus out. This is all we have. Like it or not. Staying home is the bottom line, not more deaths and placing a heath care system in jeopardy of a major failure in every state.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:27 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
It's a delicate balancing act. The economy is destroyed and we go into a major depression if this lock down continues too much longer. If we don't go into mitigation lock down, every state looks like New York with hundreds of thousands infected and tens of thousands dead and health care systems broken all over the country. Do you think that scenario is good for the economy? Probably not. Lets say we open up too early without proper testing and tracking in place and cases surge again. The stock market gets jittery and crashes again? People do not go out anyway because they see the refrigerator trucks parked in their neighborhood housing dead bodies because the morticians can't keep up? Is consumer confidence destroyed and restaurants still remain empty? Sure there are still Darwin award recipients out there that believe the propaganda that this is just a cold. What do you do with stubborn and stupid? Maybe fine them for not staying home.

None of us wants to be where we are in this country now, but this isn't the time to be selfish. We have to do our part and starve this virus out. This is all we have. Like it or not. Staying home is the bottom line, not more deaths and placing a heath care system in jeopardy of a major failure in every state.
No state will ever look like New York.

Know any other states that have that population density?

Trying to compare NYC to the entire country is beyond foolish and begs misinformation.

My entire county has 430,000. NYC? has EIGHT and a HALF MILLION people. 8,500,000.

Not even close to being the same. At all. So we should do exactly as NYC? How does that make sense in ANY context?

How do people not understand this????

Old 04-18-2020, 09:29 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Sorry bout your school - but most places closed a month ago. THOSE parents have been figuring out what to do since the beginning of March.

What did you do with your kids in the summer?
My kids have been out of school since early March...this isn't something that happened yesterday...so they were home alone. I'm lucky because my son is 14 and my husband works in the afternoon so the time they are alone is only a couple of hours.
Anyways, the argument about " what do with your kids in the summer" makes no sense to me at all.
I'm not sure where you live or work with. However, my family usually plan for summer vacations. Last year we sent kids to summer camps. Is that an option now? Or summer school, is that an option? Sending kids to grandparents 3000 miles away? Maybe..
Probably not because of social distancing.

Now, my kids will probably be fine..they will live. Cant say that for many other kids. Especially those who have school as their safety net.
So that is what I'm talking about..its worse things to.worry about than a virus.

Oh..not to mention..the teachers were on strike for a month just a few weeks before all this...
I might as well have them redo the whole grade

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 04-18-2020 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness