Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 03:45 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have seen both on here and Facebook continually say that Covid-19 is just the flu. This is despite all the scientific evidence that says it is true? Is this simply anti-science, anti-MSM or what?
No, just plain old stupidity.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Actually, I have known several. One neighbor, one co-worker, one family member. ALL were admitted to the hospital with horrible chest pain and difficulty breathing. Two of them were in the hospital a week, but my neighbor was put on a ventilator and just got released after 12 days. All are between the ages of 35-5 and none are 100% back to normal. Obviously that is only 3 people, but from what I'm being told they experienced horrible symptoms that came on almost out of no where. All agreed nothing like the flu, much worse. I think some people might have mild symptoms, but just look at the numbers of individuals hospitalized. If they had mild symptoms, they wouldn't have been admitted, right?

And how many do you know had it? Any feedback there?
No, to tell the truth we have been very lucky and have not known anyone who has had it. Even our doctor has not nor have the family members who are in the medical field. Yes you are right about the number hospitalized but that number seems to be dropping pretty quickly which is good news How many cases of the flu have people ending up in the hospital? In our area and among our friends there are some every year.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:16 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Coronavirus (COVID-19) vs. Influenza (Flu)

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

https://www.ynhhs.org/patient-care/u...or-coronavirus

And, for the record, I mistakenly said that influenza was a coronovirus in an earlier post in this thread, I meant to say SARS

Old 04-19-2020, 04:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, technically, or I suppose medically, corona and influenza are different virus.

However, excluding the four strains of corona virus known to cause the common cold in addition to the rhinovirus, all strains of corona virus cause Influenza-like Illnesses.

The virus responsible for Influenza-like Illnesses are corona, influenza, parainfluenza, adenovirus and respiratory synctical virus.

They're called Influenza-like Illnesses because all of them cause the same symptoms, which are flu-like.

If you've had "the flu" 10x in your life, I can almost guarantee 3x were actually corona and one or two times were parainfluenza, adenovirus or RSV.

Your doctor cannot know which virus you actually have, unless they do a test, and they're not going to do a test unless you're hospitalized and not responding to aggressive treatment.

If you actually have influenza, there are drugs that can help, but that's not true for the other virus.

For the other virus, all they can do is give you drugs to help alleviate the symptoms.

If you have flu-like symptoms, you might have COVID-19, or one of the other corona virus or maybe influenza. Unless you get tested, you'll never know for sure.

Whatever you have, it doesn't really matter, because you'll do the same thing regardless, which is drink a lot of cough syrup and TheraFlu and binge-watch Breaking Bad, unless you reach a point where breathing is a problem and then you'll go to hospital.
Sorry but I disagree. Actually the "Common Cold" could have been milder CoronaVirus strains rather than a Rhinovirus. That said, these severe respiratory CoronaViruses are an iceberg. We know some of the top but we don't know what is under the water surface. Covid-19 is the largest case study of these repository CoronaViruses.

Flu like symptoms and the common Cold, even Covid-19 share some similarities.
Quote:
Common Cold symptoms:
  • Cough
  • Fatigue
  • Runny nose (clear and watery)
  • Sneezing
  • Sore throat
Quote:
Flu symptoms:
  • Aches
  • Chills
  • Dry Cough
  • Fatigue
  • Fever
  • Headache
  • Red, watery eyes
  • Runny nose (clear and watery)
  • Sore throat
  • Warm, flushed skin
Quote:
Covid-19 symptoms:
  • Body aches
  • Bluish lips or face
  • Can't wake up
  • Dry Cough
  • Fever
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Lack of appetite
  • New confusion
  • Ongoing chest pain or pressure
  • Runny nose
  • Shortness of breath
  • Sneezing
  • Sore throat
  • Trouble breathing
There simply is a lot more symptoms and often more severe symptoms for an average Covid-19 patient than a Flu or Common Cold patient, despite some similar symptoms.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:59 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
They say you can't fix stupid. Apparently, you can't quarantine it either.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:15 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have seen both on here and Facebook continually say that Covid-19 is just the flu. This is despite all the scientific evidence that says it is true? Is this simply anti-science, anti-MSM or what?
It's anti-"none of the above"; it's common sense! If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then what else could it be? Therefore, Flu-19 is exactly that: a glorified, overhyped flu bug.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:36 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, to tell the truth we have been very lucky and have not known anyone who has had it. Even our doctor has not nor have the family members who are in the medical field. Yes you are right about the number hospitalized but that number seems to be dropping pretty quickly which is good news How many cases of the flu have people ending up in the hospital? In our area and among our friends there are some every year.
I live in the Chicagoland area. The cases here are not going down. We saw the highest rate of deaths in the last 24 hours so far. Big cities are seeing the worst of this right now, but all it takes is one person from that area to travel to another. We have seen this.

Even though I don't know anyone who has died of Covid-19 (Thank the Lord), I know some that have been hospitalized from it as stated earlier. I have never known anyone personally that has been hospitalized by the Flu, even though it is common. I think it has been more than proven that the Coronavirus is much worse than the Flu for many reasons. It is wasn't our Country would not have shut down to begin with.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:47 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If you're asymptomatic it means you are not sick and you have a healthy immune system.

Oh the HORROR of having a healthy immune system. I know that people are terrified of healthy immune systems these days. Those horribly healthy asymptomatic people should be sick and dying ...

Because we have to wait for SuperHero Vaccine Man to save us all. Until then, we need to to stay hunkered down in Metropolis hiding from Big Bad C-Man, who could be lurking around EVERY CORNER. He could be your neighbor ... the cashier ... that guy in the park walking his dog 100 feet away from you ....

BE SCARED!!!! TERROR!!!! STAY HOME!!!!
What the hell are you talking about?

It's already known that asymptomatic people can be silent spreaders of this disease.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
As much as I read many healthy people die of this disease. More science is needed to investigate how a healthy person dies from it. I think a healthy person can die because the person is physically healthy but does not have a strong immune system.

There are people who aren't so healthy but have a very strong immune system. I think a lot of homeless people fits this narrative. We haven't heard many homeless people die from COVID19 because I believe they have a stronger immune system being outside and not in an ultra sanitized environment which weakens a person's immune system.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:57 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, technically, or I suppose medically, corona and influenza are different virus.

However, excluding the four strains of corona virus known to cause the common cold in addition to the rhinovirus, all strains of corona virus cause Influenza-like Illnesses.

The virus responsible for Influenza-like Illnesses are corona, influenza, parainfluenza, adenovirus and respiratory synctical virus.

They're called Influenza-like Illnesses because all of them cause the same symptoms, which are flu-like.

If you've had "the flu" 10x in your life, I can almost guarantee 3x were actually corona and one or two times were parainfluenza, adenovirus or RSV.

Your doctor cannot know which virus you actually have, unless they do a test, and they're not going to do a test unless you're hospitalized and not responding to aggressive treatment.

If you actually have influenza, there are drugs that can help, but that's not true for the other virus.

For the other virus, all they can do is give you drugs to help alleviate the symptoms.

If you have flu-like symptoms, you might have COVID-19, or one of the other corona virus or maybe influenza. Unless you get tested, you'll never know for sure.

Whatever you have, it doesn't really matter, because you'll do the same thing regardless, which is drink a lot of cough syrup and TheraFlu and binge-watch Breaking Bad, unless you reach a point where breathing is a problem and then you'll go to hospital.
They are different viruses, not just "technically".

There is testing available for influenza. It is done in the physician's office. Therefore, someone can get tested and treated with the medication you mentioned for influenza without being hospitalized.

https://www.uwhealth.org/health-well...-illness/51692

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's anti-"none of the above"; it's common sense! If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then what else could it be? Therefore, Flu-19 is exactly that: a glorified, overhyped flu bug.
No dear, they are members of different viral families. Sort of like ducks and geese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness