Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 09:41 PM

17 posts, read 10,567 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Im from the US but outside the US the last x amount of months. Here, when the corona virus was happening in the US, there was not much of an issue where im located now. Thus zero social distancing at all whatsoever. But in the last few weeks, things are much different now and people wear masks and people are told to stay inside. I do not have a mask and need to get one. I have to order it online since no stores seem to have it here. My questions are

Do I need a n95 mask or i could buy surgical masks? The surgical masks are blue color and seem very thin. I see these online on mercado libre... its similar to like ebay in the US.

These are the ones that are available... its about fifteen dollars in USD each. The second link is like a blue surgical mask. Thats about forty dollars for a pack of 80. I would probably go half on that with a neighbor here so we each pay twenty dollars each for a pack of forty.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...5-2684b1e6dde5

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...e-13da31c0bcbd

Can you reuse n95 mask or any of those surgical mask? How much does a n95 mask cost now in the US if you were to buy say one or a few of them only? I can get them for about fifteen dollars here online on mercadolibre. But the thing is i need to buy many? I only will go out when grocery shopping and thats all. So basically i would not be out for more than one hour thirty minutes at the absolute max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 09:46 PM

Also what about gloves? I know people say you should wear gloves. I can order these online. The first one seem to be vinyl gloves which is half the price of the second link which is latex gloves. Is latex much better than vinyl? Its double the price. Again here... i probably buy one of them and split the cost with a neighbor here... so which one should i get? Also... i assume buying cleaning gloves like the gloves you use when cleaning your house... you shouldn't wear those when going outside right? Or can you? Because those you can reuse it... but if you use one of these, use it once and dump it right? Again i only go out once or twice a week at the most and that is solely getting groceries and nothing else.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...JjNDkwZDI1YzIz

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...EwZTE1OWFlZTQw

I basically have no mask or gloves at the moment. The only gloves i can buy locally are cleaning gloves that you use to clean the kitchen sink and house etc at walmart. Everything else i need to order online. Can someone here give me suggestion? I mean seeing an n95 mask cost fifteen dollars is pretty expensive if say you need to throw it out after one week. But can you clean it and reuse it? I mean i would use it at the most one hour thirty minutes a week. Could it last a month or more etc if that is the case? And what i need to clean it? I cant buy lysol at the store... would need to order online as well as these products are not available.

But gloves are very important right? I see lot of ppl wearing gloves especially when grocery shopping.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:29 AM

This is the other mask im looking at. So when you look at all these three masks, which would you recommend? These one seem to be washable and cheap... note its around 9 dollars only including shipping. So i would probably buy a couple of them if i choose this one?

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...e-d69b65aef96d

Old 04-18-2020, 09:52 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Use whatever mask you can get. Not everyone can get a hospital mask that the nurses and docs where. Some protection is good. Social distancing is still important.

When you take the mask off, don't touch the dirty outer side, just touch it by the strap or corner. Put dirty side down and put away. I put mine in a closet on a box and leave it there till next time. Then, wash your hands. Don't touch your mouth, nose and eyes anymore than you have to and wash your hands first.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:40 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
CDC advise on masks.

http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-...coverings.html

Old 04-18-2020, 02:41 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocosam View Post
Also what about gloves? But gloves are very important right? I see lot of ppl wearing gloves especially when grocery shopping.
I always use gloves when working on my motorcycles, it saves washing those greasy hands. When all this started, I went to Pep Boys and picked up 200 surgical gloves. $ 16.00 for 100. Probably any auto parts store should have them.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:33 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Most medical surgical masks are good enough, that's what has been used in the field for a long time even during heavy flu seasons. However with COVID19, if you are stuck indoors and close quarters with infected individuals than you will need N95 and face shields. I think face masks are mandatory wherever you are but if you are stuck in an office or room with strangers that could be infected. You will need a face mask and face shield. A lot of stores have now implemented a plastic or glass shield at checkouts and kiosks, which is great. You should never have a direct face to face talk with anyone without a mask and a shield if less than 6 ' away.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:24 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocosam View Post
Also what about gloves? I know people say you should wear gloves. I can order these online. The first one seem to be vinyl gloves which is half the price of the second link which is latex gloves. Is latex much better than vinyl? Its double the price. Again here... i probably buy one of them and split the cost with a neighbor here... so which one should i get? Also... i assume buying cleaning gloves like the gloves you use when cleaning your house... you shouldn't wear those when going outside right? Or can you? Because those you can reuse it... but if you use one of these, use it once and dump it right? Again i only go out once or twice a week at the most and that is solely getting groceries and nothing else.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...JjNDkwZDI1YzIz

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...EwZTE1OWFlZTQw

I basically have no mask or gloves at the moment. The only gloves i can buy locally are cleaning gloves that you use to clean the kitchen sink and house etc at walmart. Everything else i need to order online. Can someone here give me suggestion? I mean seeing an n95 mask cost fifteen dollars is pretty expensive if say you need to throw it out after one week. But can you clean it and reuse it? I mean i would use it at the most one hour thirty minutes a week. Could it last a month or more etc if that is the case? And what i need to clean it? I cant buy lysol at the store... would need to order online as well as these products are not available.

But gloves are very important right? I see lot of ppl wearing gloves especially when grocery shopping.
Gloves can be helpful. The kind you're showing appear to be disposable. They're good for one use. It appears a box contain 100 gloves. If you wear one on each hand, then you have 50 pair. Most medical style gloves cannot be reused. Check first to be sure of the size to be sure they'll fit. In medical facilities, sizes are Small, Medium, Large, or Extra Large.

Where are you located? USA or Mexico? You mention Walmart. Walmart online has some listed, but most of the gloves are completely out of stock, except for Extra Large (XL). If the Walmart store near you has any in stock, check the size first. If you don't know, then you'll have to guess what size would fit you. If the size is Small, but your hands are large, then small size will probably rip when you try to put them on. Also, if your hands are small, you can still buy a larger size because it's not going to rip when you try to put them on. If the size is the right fit for you, then buy them while you can. Here's an example of vinyl gloves (Extra Large/200 gloves per box). I haven't checked all the gloves listed, and I don't know how many of these are still available. If you're in the USA, shipping is free.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dispenser...xtra/979804384

Go online for information on the correct way to remove disposable gloves from your hands. Here's one from YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTYioOo__6U

Old 04-18-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I always use gloves when working on my motorcycles, it saves washing those greasy hands. When all this started, I went to Pep Boys and picked up 200 surgical gloves. $ 16.00 for 100. Probably any auto parts store should have them.

Does it matter if its vinyl gloves or latex gloves? In my link, you can see how one of them the vinyl gloves cost less than half the latex gloves.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Gloves can be helpful. The kind you're showing appear to be disposable. They're good for one use. It appears a box contain 100 gloves. If you wear one on each hand, then you have 50 pair. Most medical style gloves cannot be reused. Check first to be sure of the size to be sure they'll fit. In medical facilities, sizes are Small, Medium, Large, or Extra Large.

Where are you located? USA or Mexico? You mention Walmart. Walmart online has some listed, but most of the gloves are completely out of stock, except for Extra Large (XL). If the Walmart store near you has any in stock, check the size first. If you don't know, then you'll have to guess what size would fit you. If the size is Small, but your hands are large, then small size will probably rip when you try to put them on. Also, if your hands are small, you can still buy a larger size because it's not going to rip when you try to put them on. If the size is the right fit for you, then buy them while you can. Here's an example of vinyl gloves (Extra Large/200 gloves per box). I haven't checked all the gloves listed, and I don't know how many of these are still available. If you're in the USA, shipping is free.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dispenser...xtra/979804384

Go online for information on the correct way to remove disposable gloves from your hands. Here's one from YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTYioOo__6U

Hi. Located in Mexico. I will have to order it online though that mercadolibre site though. But is there big difference between vinyl gloves vs latex gloves? Its basically ten dollars for a pack of hundred if vinyl and twenty dollars for a pack off one hundred if latex non sterile.

I'm pretty sure im a medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness