Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 04:31 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times

Advertisements

The media needs to stop dismissing treatments as ineffective when they are administered properly.

https://thepostmillennial.com/anothe...virus-patients
L.A. dcotor says successful with treatment.

https://abc7.com/health/doctors-say-...id-19/6082485/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 08:29 PM

820 posts, read 972,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Exactly. Here in New York it's particularly bad, the big government lovers shame you for not wanting a super long quarantine as if you're a fascist or something.
Even worse in New Jersey, if possible. I’ve been called a ton of names on Reddit for daring to suggest that we need to find a balance.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:39 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
In a bad year 50K die on the roads, lets close the hiway system down.

11 people were killed by coca cola machines, how long must we suffer until we create the coca cola police.

Martin Luther king said "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for he isn't fit for living".

Old 04-21-2020, 01:11 AM

230 posts, read 114,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRunner View Post
There is never not going to be a case. Just like there are always cases of the flu and tens of thousands of people in this country die of the flu every year, even with vaccines.

People need to accept this, make peace with it, and start getting back to normal living. Doesn't have to happen over night, but the alternative is hundreds of thousands of more deaths from a variety of causes if we don't.
Get back to normal? There would be over 2 million deaths if we just ignored what's happening and buried our heads in the sand all in the name of freedom. You aren't free if you are dead.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:55 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
jonesg - I promise if three million people died on the roads every year - we WOULD shut the roads down.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
As far as I know, this virus came from just one person in Wuhan. So even if we are on the downside due to social distancing, isn’t it true that once we calm the virus down that it can be spread like wildfire again from just one person?

I’ve always wondered this. I mean you look at how many deaths there were 2 weeks ago compared to now and it’s unbelievable. What this tells me is that the virus can’t be stopped. Unless every person in the world quarantines for a month, I don’t see how the virus can stop. 1 turns into 2, then 4, etc... Exponential growth doesn’t just stop.

That’s why it amazes me how Florida can just open. We have more deaths than ever now. All it takes is one person and we have hundreds of thousands that are spreading.

I guess it’s over once everyone has had it, but then the virus mutates.

Am I wrong here? Are we doomed?
Going back to the OP's post - it does indeed just stop, and we are not doomed.

Spanish Flu in the early 20th century indeed did "just stopped", without a vaccine, as well as all the numerous plagues and viruses in history. The reasons are not entirely known except that the virus takes away the most vulnerable, humans build up immunity, and also the virus evolves to a less harmful form as it moves from person to person. It's also less contagious in warm weather. This is the trend for all viruses by the way - they evolve to less harmfull variants. It takes time, but that's what happens.

Are we all doomed? Of course not - the death rate has been revised, and found to be less deadly as original thought - the death rate per those infected has ranged from 2% to .15%. The lower number is more likely because we don't know how many have been infected really. Many have been infected and not even knows. We know only how many have been tested or hospitalized. Also, in the US anyone that has died of a heart attack, stroke, etc....if they had coronovirus they are counted as a coronavirus death. I think that inflated the death count to unrealistic numbers.

Will it resurface once things reopen? Maybe but there are stop gaps in the opening plans, it will open in stages and a degree of distancing will still remain. Your "one person" theory is wrong as we would still see exponential growth regardless of social distancing, because it's not a 100% effective approach (how could it be, people aren't guarded 24 hours a day like prisoners) - and we are actually seeing exponential DECLINE. But if one state reopens and there is a resurgance, they go back to closing and social distancing. Simple as that. But clearly, things need to open as the cure is beginning to be worse than the virus itself.

And then eventually, a vaccine will be developed. Mankind adapts and endures, what we don't so is bury our head in the sand.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:41 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
those who live in fear & hysteria allow it to perpetuate and control their movements. It should not control others and will not.

- The Pine Street Inn homeless shelter responded to a cluster of coronavirus cases by testing 397 people and discovered that 146 were positive were ALL asymptomatic.

Doctors were stunned!!. I guess they were..... you guessed it "wrong" in their assumptions.

At least they were tested. People with a home who want to be tested can't get it.
There's something like 330 million people in the USA. That would mean that we would have to test 165 million people every year for two years. Doable? No. So there goes your simpleton argument that everyone who wants a test can get a test. Yet another Trump lie.

Here's the thing about asymptomatic carriers. It makes this disease even more insidious and dangerous. It's great if you're one of the lucky ones. Ever hear of an outlier? That's the 17 year old and 5 year old that just died in our state from Covid. That's the 36 year old without underlying conditions that died from H1N1 on a ventilator. That's the 100 year old nursing home patient that survived Covid. How do you know if you're an outlier either way? You don't. Want to play Russian Roulette with your life? A loved ones life?

I've had a unique advantage over the low information crowd preferring to drink the koolaid vs researching. I've watched many people die from some really strange things. One was a young man that died from eating raw oysters infected with red tide. I saw H1N1 up close and personal when I had to terminate life support on that young man. Clinically, I know that Covid is way worse than anything I saw with H1N1. It was bad, but it was doable. Covid unmitigated is not.

(And nope, I never ate another raw oyster again. It wasn't worth the risk.)
It wasn't hysteria that that changed my mind about eating raw oysters. It was knowledge. Just like it isn't hysteria that makes me give Covid a wide berth. It's knowledge.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Here's the thing about asymptomatic carriers. It makes this disease even more insidious and dangerous. It's great if you're one of the lucky ones. Ever hear of an outlier? That's the 17 year old and 5 year old that just died in our state from Covid. That's the 36 year old without underlying conditions that died from H1N1 on a ventilator. That's the 100 year old nursing home patient that survived Covid. How do you know if you're an outlier either way? You don't. Want to play Russian Roulette with your life? A loved ones life?

The outlier exception exists for every disease all of the time. How do you know you're not going to die of a common cold or the flu? Mankind simply does not have the capability to ensure that infectious people aren't walking around or to ensure that no one is an outlier to such an infection.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:59 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,025 times
Reopening will depend on how comfortable or safe, people feel about going to restaurants, theaters, gyms etc. If they don't feel comfortable or safe, the places can reopen, they just wont have customers.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:20 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Reopening will depend on how comfortable or safe, people feel about going to restaurants, theaters, gyms etc. If they don't feel comfortable or safe, the places can reopen, they just wont have customers.
At least around here, I'd say it's 50-50 (those terrified and those unconcerned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness