Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 07:26 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,033,801 times

Advertisements

When I was first diagnosed with HBP the doc prescribed Lisinopril. The cough started fairly soon after, it was almost constant and it interfered with my ability to do my job and sleep. At first, I didn't know what was causing it. I put up with it for a few weeks, hoping it would go away, but it didn't.

When I ruled out everything else (illness, environmental irritants, etc.) I checked on side-effects and found that it was noted with Lisinopril. I went to the doc, she switched me to Cozar and the cough went away within a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 07:33 AM

19,385 posts, read 27,654,653 times
I'm sort of relieved to hear that others have had this
For me, it started 2-3 weeks after I started taking it. It 2 months before my RN neighbor mentioned that it might be lisinopril. MY BAD for not calling the doctor - I assumed it was allergies.

Now off it for 2 weeks, and cough continues, but seems to be getting better.

Due to covid-19, this is Bad timing on my
part. On those few occasions when I leave the house, I will eventually cough. Mask or not, people look at me like I'm a leper!

Old 04-20-2020, 08:40 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,033,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Due to covid-19, this is Bad timing on my
part. On those few occasions when I leave the house, I will eventually cough. Mask or not, people look at me like I'm a leper!
LOL! I know what you mean. I've been a smoker for more than 50 years, so I have an occasional cough...one good thing though- people tend to give you more space if you cough a little bit .

Old 04-20-2020, 12:50 PM

4,678 posts, read 3,441,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
When I was first diagnosed with HBP the doc prescribed Lisinopril. The cough started fairly soon after, it was almost constant and it interfered with my ability to do my job and sleep. At first, I didn't know what was causing it. I put up with it for a few weeks, hoping it would go away, but it didn't.

When I ruled out everything else (illness, environmental irritants, etc.) I checked on side-effects and found that it was noted with Lisinopril. I went to the doc, she switched me to Cozar and the cough went away within a few days.
This is my story almost to a T. By the time I visited the doctor I was incredibly tired and stressed. I coughed so much I was only getting an hour or two of sleep a night.

She switched me to another medication that also made me cough. Oddly enough I had a short break in coughing while starting the new medication. I can't remember the name of it. She then switched me to atenolol. That has done the trick!

Old 04-20-2020, 03:34 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,334,841 times
Quote:
About 10% of people who are prescribed lisinopril for HBP get a dry hacking cough as a side effect.

I know this because I'm one of them. If you have experienced this:

1. How long were you taking lisinopril before you started coughing?

2. How long were you coughing after you stopped taking it?
Lisinopril caused my uvula to swell up like a golf ball. There are definite side effects for those that are allergic to it.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:45 PM

24,366 posts, read 22,946,540 times
I take Lisinopril along with hydoxychlorothiazide in a lower dosage. I noticed the cough right away but it was never serious, just like an irritation of the throat. It went away after several weeks.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:02 PM

5,858 posts, read 11,868,531 times
Mine didn’t start until 5 months in. I was due for my 6 month checkup and when I told the doc what was happening she immediately switched me to a different drug. I knew about it because it happened to my husband a few years before.

It also happened to a coworker- I could hear her coughing every day so I went and told her it could be her BP meds - turns out I was right and she thanked me profusely!

Old 04-20-2020, 05:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,492,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

My cough was occasional. Wife insisted I try something different. So the doc tried something different. Now I am dizzy with losartan. Let’s see slight cough or acting like I’m a bit drunk.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 741 times
As a side note: lisinopril is derived from the venom of a viper found in South America. No kidding!

Old 04-20-2020, 09:03 PM

18,651 posts, read 7,508,315 times
Quote:
About 10% of people who are prescribed lisinopril for HBP get a dry hacking cough as a side effect.

I know this because I'm one of them. If you have experienced this:

1. How long were you taking lisinopril before you started coughing?

2. How long were you coughing after you stopped taking it?
I did, about ten years ago.

1. Some weeks. Don't really know, because it seemed like just another bothersome cough, no big deal. Until I told my doctor about it during a routine checkup, and he said it might be an allergy to Lisinopril, which he said a lot of people had. He took me off it and switched to Losartan, which he said wasn't a strong but also had fewer side effects.

2. Three weeks. Then the cough finally stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness