Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 08:41 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times

Advertisements

A Chinese friend of mine gave me a pack of face masks that she had gotten from friends of hers in China, and the packaging noted that the masks were made in Wuhan. I know, it sounds like a practical joke, but my friend is serious about being helpful, and I know that she would never knowingly put me at risk.

My head is telling me that the masks are safe for me to use, but the irrational part of me is saying "Hmm, these things came from coronavirus Ground Zero. Should I trust them?" So, are they safe to use, or should I discretely toss them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 08:44 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
When in doubt, throw it out. They might be good for use, but if you constantly worrying about it, I say is pointless to use it.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:14 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
A Chinese friend of mine gave me a pack of face masks that she had gotten from friends of hers in China, and the packaging noted that the masks were made in Wuhan. I know, it sounds like a practical joke, but my friend is serious about being helpful, and I know that she would never knowingly put me at risk.

My head is telling me that the masks are safe for me to use, but the irrational part of me is saying "Hmm, these things came from coronavirus Ground Zero. Should I trust them?" So, are they safe to use, or should I discretely toss them out?
As numerous Covid-19 information sources have endlessly tried to clarify, the virus only survives on surfaces for a few hours to a few days. Paper, cloth, what are they made of? The virus is disabled by heat and from contact with antimicrobial chemicals including hydrogen peroxide, ethanol, or bleach. If you are worried about the masks first consider how long it's been since anyone handled them (before enclosing them in a package...could have been weeks). If you are still worried, spray them with a disinfection spray and lay them out in full sun. If you are STILL worried, run them through the dryer.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-23-2020 at 01:58 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 08:22 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
When in doubt, throw it out. They might be good for use, but if you constantly worrying about it, I say is pointless to use it.
Bingo. Exactly the way I treat expiration dates on food.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:33 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
So, are they safe to use, or should I discretely toss them out?
You should throw them out. You should also stop going to Chinese restaurants or eating any Chinese food whatsoever. In fact, you should stop talking to anyone who even looks Chinese. It's probably not even safe to talk to a Chinese person over the phone. I'm sure that there is a way for coronavirus droplets to find their way to you through the telecommunications system.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Seriously?

Old 04-24-2020, 08:06 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Seriously?
Seriously?

Old 04-24-2020, 08:38 AM

185 posts, read 97,049 times
NOPE. NO THANK YOU. I wouldn't use any mask coming from China. It's not about racist, I have a Chinese girlfriend (from Chengdu, I had to use this card, JUST IN CASE) and she wouldn't even use them. Right now, I wouldn't trust it at all. Or at the very least sanitize the ISH out of it and then put them in the dryer.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:46 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Seriously?
Seriously. Even before everyone was told to 'stay at home' this place was crawling with tin-foil hat types willing to believe even dumber crap than that. Since then, the population seems to have quintupled.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:57 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Seriously. Even before everyone was told to 'stay at home' this place was crawling with tin-foil hat types willing to believe even dumber crap than that. Since then, the population seems to have quintupled.
Yes, seriously.

You know, I expect to get truckloads of snark over at P & OC, but I thought I'd do better over here. I am not racist against Chinese people. (Did you miss the part where I said that it was a Chinese friend who gave me the masks?) But I'm also not an expert on the transmission of coronavirus. All I know is that I have a package of face masks that came from Wuhan, the very epicenter of this pandemic. I think that they are safe; but there is a lot that I don't know. So I will repeat my original question. Is there a greater than negligible risk to using these masks, based on their place of origin? Or has enough time gone by since they were likely shipped out of there that the risk of infection is miniscule or less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness