U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2020, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Central IL
16,961 posts, read 10,126,420 times
Reputation: 40174

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Don't believe everything you read. Many of the deaths really are not from COPID, they are from underling causes and they just happen to have the virus as well. anyone can do anything with stats they want. Plus one has to take into consideration the % of people who are likely to get one disease over another. The only thing I will believe is the virus does spread and travel faster than similar illnesses.

If we are going to start this comparison, how about the Asian flu in 1056 that killed over a million people? Were you alive at that time? We did not shut things down and eventually it disappeared after almost 2 years.
Golly gee whiz! Maybe things SHOULD have been shut down to avoid at least some of those 1 million deaths? Are you/we PROUD of those deaths - did it show how tough we were? And now I suppose we're just wimps because we don't want as many to die? You must also enjoy cutting off your nose to cut your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2020, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,576 posts, read 4,707,432 times
Reputation: 14679
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Golly gee whiz! Maybe things SHOULD have been shut down to avoid at least some of those 1 million deaths? Are you/we PROUD of those deaths - did it show how tough we were? And now I suppose we're just wimps because we don't want as many to die? You must also enjoy cutting off your nose to cut your face.
People like this don't fully get it until they contract the virus themselves or know someone who does. Just like we were told in the beginning that it's just a hoax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
16,389 posts, read 13,161,596 times
Reputation: 12356
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Currently at 95k U.S deaths in 2 months time, definitely NOT like the Flu!
There is one thing that bothers me about the reported cases of corona virus deaths; they are getting paid: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/3000638001/. Granted they are all 'professionals' and nobody ever cheats the system. Well maybe I should never say "nobody". If there is more money in reporting a corona virus death, you have some conflicting information and you are not 100% sure, do you go for the bucks or say I'm not sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 07:42 AM
 
1,181 posts, read 269,460 times
Reputation: 2172
First - that applies to medicare patients only. So not everyone. Next, there has always been additional money for certain types of illnesses. Do you think they fake those too, on a regular basis? Also - it's fraud - plain and simple. A crime. Medicare will be doing an audit sooner or later - and when they find you cheated the system, your hospital will be losing lots more from Medicare than they ever gained by cheating. Finally - that article is slightly misleading - they get about a 20% bonus - that 13K / 39K were already coming, COVID or not -based on the illness type.



So of the 94K that are dead - how many were on Medicare (lots to be sure)? And of those - how many are at a hospital with criminal administrators? And of those dead, that are on Medicare, that are at shady hospitals, how many had COVID symptoms, during a COVID pandemic - but actually died of something unrelated?



A few, yep. Some. Half of the 95K? Nope. 10%? Doubtful.


Lots of people were riding this "fraud" train when 50K were dead. Now we have almost 100K dead. I think it's safe to say that at least 50K are ACTUALLY dead of COVID at this point - and that is enough for me.


One more - ya think Italy / France / Spain / UK are all playing the Medicare game too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
26,660 posts, read 30,916,404 times
Reputation: 33245
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is one thing that bothers me about the reported cases of corona virus deaths; they are getting paid: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/3000638001/. Granted they are all 'professionals' and nobody ever cheats the system. Well maybe I should never say "nobody". If there is more money in reporting a corona virus death, you have some conflicting information and you are not 100% sure, do you go for the bucks or say I'm not sure?
They are not paid for the number of deaths. They are paid for care provided to patients, whether they survive or not. Hospitals have been given extra money (about 20% more) for Medicare patients with COVID-19, but that amount probably will not cover the heavy expenses associated with the prolonged duration of ICU treatment for a significant number of cases. Hospitals will be lucky to break even on COVID-19 care while revenue is down for not doing elective surgery.

Also, as roodd279 points out, Medicare fraud is not taken lightly and has severe penalties. No hospital wants to risk getting kicked out of Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
16,389 posts, read 13,161,596 times
Reputation: 12356
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
They are not paid for the number of deaths. They are paid for care provided to patients, whether they survive or not. Hospitals have been given extra money (about 20% more) for Medicare patients with COVID-19, but that amount probably will not cover the heavy expenses associated with the prolonged duration of ICU treatment for a significant number of cases. Hospitals will be lucky to break even on COVID-19 care while revenue is down for not doing elective surgery.

Also, as roodd279 points out, Medicare fraud is not taken lightly and has severe penalties. No hospital wants to risk getting kicked out of Medicare.
I presumed that it would not be widespread. And, yes, I understand that it cost more for a corona case in treatment cost.

I was looking at the 1969 pandemic numbers and thinking that we are experiencing a pandemic of similar proportions. What I mean is that our US population was only 200,000,000 in 1969 or about 60% of today's population. So the percetage of people that died then will be very similar to what we might be experiencing now? Of course only time will tell and hopefully we will get a vaccine in record time.

I hope you are staying well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
26,660 posts, read 30,916,404 times
Reputation: 33245
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I presumed that it would not be widespread. And, yes, I understand that it cost more for a corona case in treatment cost.

I was looking at the 1969 pandemic numbers and thinking that we are experiencing a pandemic of similar proportions. What I mean is that our US population was only 200,000,000 in 1969 or about 60% of today's population. So the percetage of people that died then will be very similar to what we might be experiencing now? Of course only time will tell and hopefully we will get a vaccine in record time.

I hope you are staying well!
No one knows what the numbers are. The statisticians are trying to provide guidance to the politicians, and everyone needs to realize that they can only crunch the numbers they are given. It will take mass testing of representative populations from around the country when the epidemic winds down to see how many people have antibodies to the virus. Until then, because so many have few or no symptoms, it is impossible to know how many cases there are, and even then it will be an estimate because it would be impossible to test everyone. That means that the same folks who whine about flu estimates will be whining about SARS-CoV-2 estimates and wanting to know why there was not a precise count down to the last infected person.

I remain optimistic about a vaccine. The best minds worldwide are working on it.

My family and I are well, and I hope the same for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2020, 07:32 PM
 
1,411 posts, read 752,326 times
Reputation: 3658
We are now over double the deaths of 2014/2015 (not sure what recent day we actually hit that number)

2014/2015............Flu deaths 51000...... X 2 = 102000

2020 (4 months) Covid Deaths........................105246

There is 1 more year in the last decade that Covid deaths haven't doubled the flu deaths: 2017/2018 (double is 122000)

Interesting to note that for the past decade, ALL flu deaths totaled were 337200.

Thus, we are nearly a third of the way to having the same number of Covid deaths that a full decade of the flu had.

In 4 months.

Where will we be before the end of this year?

Last edited by crusinsusan; 05-31-2020 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2020, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Inland FL
1,459 posts, read 900,869 times
Reputation: 2619
But it's all a hoax to upend Trump's re-election they cried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2020, 05:45 PM
 
1,411 posts, read 752,326 times
Reputation: 3658
We have now doubled, tripled and quintupled every flu death season for the past decade. In under 4 months (typo in my post above). The last year/season left was:

2017/2018........Flu deaths 61000...... X 2 = 122000

2020 .............Covid Deaths.................... 122085 (=36% of total flu deaths of the last decade - within 4 months)

Total flu deaths for the last decade: ..........337200

This thing is not playing.

It's summer, and people are still getting it and dying. Fall will be here before we know it, and winter. Please, keep safe, stay home, if you have to go out, wear your mask, gloves too. Don't forget them at the gas pump either. So many are relaxing and it's dangerous. Keep your guard up.

It does seem the "it's just a flu" people have changed their minds. Well, most anyway. Though now, no one is saying it will magically disappear. The experts seem to agree that this is still the first wave, and we're a long way from done.

Cuz, it ain't the flu. And we have little idea about the long term heath consequences of this viscous virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top