Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 01:26 PM

749 posts, read 481,643 times

Advertisements

I didn’t know I had it until yesterday. It doesn’t hurt much unless I touch it. The underwear I’ve been wearing has been irritating my skin a little and I’ve been running on treadmill a lot and walking. It doesn’t look serious but is gross. Should I use cortisone? Ice?

I really am hoping not to have to see the doctor right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 01:38 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Can't tell much of anything from your description. Is there a break in the skin? Could be a small abscess (like a pimple). Minor ones usually come to a head and heal on their own. The mild antiseptic effect of tea tree oil often helps with acne and other minor skin infections. Keep the area clean and dry and rub a little into the skin. Don't overdo it...it will either help or it won't fairly quickly. If it doesn't improve or seems to be getting larger, call your doctor.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:43 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
I just had a telemedicine visit with the doctor. I just used my phone and showed her the lump I had on my foot.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:46 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
many doctors are conducting telehealth visits over the phone. Depending on exactly where it's located, you may be able to give them enough of a view of the lump for the to let you know whether or not you need to be seen in person.

Not that anyone here can diagnose it anyway, but you really haven't given enough information to really even hazard a guess. But as Parnassia said, it could be a pimple. Or maybe an ingrown hair? It sounds like you may be referring to the groin area.

Somewhat graphic photo in this link (of a cyst, not of a body part)

https://www.healthline.com/health/be...rown-hair-cyst

Old 04-26-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Can't tell much of anything from your description. Is there a break in the skin? Could be a small abscess (like a pimple). Minor ones usually come to a head and heal on their own. The mild antiseptic effect of tea tree oil often helps with acne and other minor skin infections. Keep the area clean and dry and rub a little into the skin. Don't overdo it...it will either help or it won't fairly quickly. If it doesn't improve or seems to be getting larger, call your doctor.

Yea it’s kinda like a pimple.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Use hot compresses to draw it out.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Yea it’s kinda like a pimple.

Definitely not worthy of even a call to the doc right now.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:52 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
I didn’t know I had it until yesterday. It doesn’t hurt much unless I touch it. The underwear I’ve been wearing has been irritating my skin a little and I’ve been running on treadmill a lot and walking. It doesn’t look serious but is gross. Should I use cortisone? Ice?

Sounds like a common boil. That would be an ingrown hair that gets infected. You can leave it be - and it will either pop on its own, or resolve and go away (though they do tend to get re-infected if the hair is still ingrown). Or you can use hot compresses to help it progress and erupt.

Once it erupts (pops) get a tweezer, sterilized (with rubbing alcohol at least, germicide at most), grab the hair that's stuck in there and gently pull it out. Then gently press around the SIDES of the erupted area, to get some of the infected "stuff" out. Never press ON the erupted area, because that could push the infection further in. Wipe it with an alcohol-saturated cotton ball, then apply some triple-antibiotic ointment to the spot, and cover it with a flexible bandaid. Leave it that way the whole day, and the next day it should be fine again.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Sounds like a common boil. That would be an ingrown hair that gets infected. You can leave it be - and it will either pop on its own, or resolve and go away (though they do tend to get re-infected if the hair is still ingrown). Or you can use hot compresses to help it progress and erupt.

Once it erupts (pops) get a tweezer, sterilized (with rubbing alcohol at least, germicide at most), grab the hair that's stuck in there and gently pull it out. Then gently press around the SIDES of the erupted area, to get some of the infected "stuff" out. Never press ON the erupted area, because that could push the infection further in. Wipe it with an alcohol-saturated cotton ball, then apply some triple-antibiotic ointment to the spot, and cover it with a flexible bandaid. Leave it that way the whole day, and the next day it should be fine again.

Wow I looked up boil pics. That’s exactly what I have. I was worried I had to go to the ER.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:12 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:

That isn't one of the symptoms for Covid-19 so not an essential use of doctor's time. Sorry. </sarcasm>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness