Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 02:02 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, it's nice that you have a spouse. Many elderly people are widowed or divorced, like my mother-in-law (her husband died in 2018). Many, like her, are retired, so don't have work, and many, like her, have arthritis or some other condition which makes long walks and gardening difficult. I did mention that she is 82, right?

It's easier to deal with "sucky situations" if you are dealt a better hand.
I really feel for the people who are all alone during this time. Or those who have abusive spouses or bad relationships. For some, sheltering at home is great, for others, it’s lonely or even a nightmare. Then there are also those at home who are not allowed to work who are just worried constantly about how to pay the bills.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:03 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Well, it's nice that you have a spouse. Many elderly people are widowed or divorced, like my mother-in-law (her husband died in 2018). Many, like her, are retired, so don't have work, and many, like her, have arthritis or some other condition which makes long walks and gardening difficult. I did mention that she is 82, right?

Of course I know about all of that.
Then again I’m also hard wired to be a lone wolf and being social was never a priority for me.
I’m not the only one who is in a similar situation.
I’m just not one, barring being elderly and infirm, who views being at home a prison. It’s also how you view things. I don’t know about being dealt a good hand or rather that’s just how things go.
And I’m not in the house all day. I’m outside a good chunk of the day.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:08 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Seriously! A few of these posts are about as sympathetic as the ones from people who keep yapping about how great the lockdown is because they LOVE working from home and not having a commute, and they hope they get to keep doing this forever, and what is wrong with people that they are in such a hurry to reopen things?

While those other people have actually been laid off or lost their business or are trying to manage on 25% of the regular income. Everyone's situation is not as great as yours, even though you can throw out bright and cheery phrases like "Make the best of it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I really feel for the people who are all alone during this time. Or those who have abusive spouses or bad relationships. For some, sheltering at home is great, for others, it’s lonely or even a nightmare. Then there are also those at home who are not allowed to work who are just worried constantly about how to pay the bills.
Thanks. You get it. That's exactly what I mean.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:08 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:

I do understand that. I was widowed at 40 (remarried now), aggressive RA, but I also know outlook is VERY important. You don't need to plow a field if she is interested in gardening, she can do some light container gardening, hook her up with video for calls to you guys, see if she has any interest in hobbies or classes. Get her on Youtube for exercise classes geared for the elderly, if she reads, get her setup to get digital books from the libary, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Right?

My yard is looking amazing, vegetable garden is doing better than I could have hoped (knock on wood), I do spend more time on cooking and food management to minimize trips to the store, I've done all kinds of home repairs, husband is outside building patio furniture that was shipped to us, taken on line classes, redone the drip system in the yard, zoom with family and friends, playing xbox (physical type games), starting a new crochet blanket (how old lady-ish ), and still plenty left to do.
Honestly all of this has changed my life more than I’d realize. Made me reevaluate things and what’s important. It’s a shame it took a pandemic to see that I worked too much, etc. we don’t need to go out as a family to have a good time. I don’t need a gym to stay fit.

And before someone accuses me of being sunshine and roses I’ve taken a pay reduction that translates in 500 less dollars per month. That isn’t chump change.

But there’s been some good to go with the bad which has been my point.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:11 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:

While those other people have actually been laid off or lost their business or are trying to manage on 25% of the regular income. Everyone's situation is not as great as yours, even though you can throw out bright and cheery phrases like "Make the best of it!"

What would be the point to not making the best of any situation?

Seriously. If you can't change it, it is what it is. Look for the silver lining, or be miserable. The only person you affect is yourself.

I KNOW it's hard on a lot of people, but that isn't changing right this minute so why not enjoy what you can?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2020, 02:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
There is little to no evidence showing that cloth masks are effective or that they protect anyone. There is some evidence that they can increase risk to the wearer, especially with improper use, something I see every time I go out.

I don’t open my mouth at the grocery store other then saying, “thank you” to the cashier and bagger as I leave nor do I cough or sneeze unless I’m sick so not sure how I personally would be putting anyone in harms way by not wearing a cloth mask while out and about. I also don’t get close enough to anyone in order to breathe all over them.

I think there is a lot of fear right now that is leading to some hysterical views in regards to masks. I think the focus on masks is overblown when looking at the scientific evidence.
That is untrue.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html
"CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

CDC also advises the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure."

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/he...d-3fc2349bb25d
"Specifically, in places where social distancing may be hard to maintain, like the grocery.. . . “The cloth masks or any masks appear to at least help reduce exposure,” said professor John Criscione, who teaches at Texas A&M University in the Biomedical Engineering Department.
“Some of the data suggest the amount of exposure of the viral load is important for severity,” he said.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...u-need-to-know

Plus much more.

Please provide evidence.

I presume you are breathing when you go out.

Please provide this "scientific evidence".

Old 05-06-2020, 02:16 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Honestly all of this has changed my life more than I’d realize. Made me reevaluate things and what’s important. It’s a shame it took a pandemic to see that I worked too much, etc. we don’t need to go out as a family to have a good time. I don’t need a gym to stay fit.

And before someone accuses me of being sunshine and roses I’ve taken a pay reduction that translates in 500 less dollars per month. That isn’t chump change.

But there’s been some good to go with the bad which has been my point.
No offense, but losing $500 per month is not much compared to those who lost their businesses, their jobs, etc. it’s very different to take a small pay cut then it is to lose it all or close to it all and wonder how you’re going to buy food and pay housing costs. This is very rough on many people.

It’s also very different to be locked up with family who enjoy one another’s company then it is for those in difficult family situations.

Our family has always enjoyed spending time at home but we have been hit with some tricky financial consequences due to the shut down and it’s worriesome. I’m not itching to go get my hair done or shop till I drop but would like to support small business owners who I know have also been hard hit and hopefully get the economy moving again.

I think it shows a lot of heart to acknowledge that everyone’s situations are different and some are not great right now.

Last edited by MissTerri; 05-06-2020 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-06-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
No offense, but losing $500 per month is not much compared to those who lost their businesses, their jobs, etc. it’s very different to take a small pay cut then it is to lose it all or close to it all and wonder how you’re going to buy food and pay housing costs. This is very rough on many people.

It’s also very different to be locked up with family who enjoy one another’s company then it is for those in difficult family situations.

Our family has always enjoyed spending time at home but we have been hit with some tricky financial consequences due to the shut down and it’s worriesome. I’m not itching to go get my hair done or shop till I drop but would like to support small business owners who I know have also been hard hit and hopefully get the economy moving again.

I think it shows a lot of heart to acknowledge that everyone’s situations are different and some are not great right now.
I acknowledge that everyone's situation is different and I also acknowledge that there are others who are worse off. I do feel for those people. But as small as that pay cut is in comparison to what you listed, it still hurts. It still affects my family. We also have bills and things to pay. And frankly, if the clients continue to not pay their bills, I may not have a job either. I'm in the legal field, a field that would have been considered secure years ago. I recognize that is the world that I live in.

But it doesn't make me a cold hearted person because I don't feel being at home is a prison and contrary to what some on here have posted, I am not just staring at walls, etc etc. Many posters only like to relate the negative effects of staying at home and I'm simply giving another viewpoint. I don't think it's right that I'm made to feel bad because I'm giving another view.

There is a favorite business of ours that was struggling so we purchased stuff online to help. Additionally, with the pay cut, I can't just spend and keep everyone afloat.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What would be the point to not making the best of any situation?

Seriously. If you can't change it, it is what it is. Look for the silver lining, or be miserable. The only person you affect is yourself.

I KNOW it's hard on a lot of people, but that isn't changing right this minute so why not enjoy what you can?
Exactly.

And my thought process wasn't simply a cliched "make the best of it."

It was giving another side of the coin considering there's all these posts about how miserable being at home is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.