Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 04:09 PM

17,379 posts, read 13,130,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is untrue.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html
"CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

CDC also advises the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure."

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/he...d-3fc2349bb25d
"Specifically, in places where social distancing may be hard to maintain, like the grocery.. . . “The cloth masks or any masks appear to at least help reduce exposure,” said professor John Criscione, who teaches at Texas A&M University in the Biomedical Engineering Department.
“Some of the data suggest the amount of exposure of the viral load is important for severity,” he said.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...u-need-to-know

Plus much more.

Please provide evidence.

I presume you are breathing when you go out.

Please provide this "scientific evidence".

I wish that I could rep you again...This is THE PERFECT POST in response to (be polite Mike) someone who just doesn't give a damn for the rest of us, and our health and welfare.

Oh well

Old 05-06-2020, 04:22 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,620,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I acknowledge that everyone's situation is different and I also acknowledge that there are others who are worse off. I do feel for those people. But as small as that pay cut is in comparison to what you listed, it still hurts. It still affects my family. We also have bills and things to pay. And frankly, if the clients continue to not pay their bills, I may not have a job either. I'm in the legal field, a field that would have been considered secure years ago. I recognize that is the world that I live in.

But it doesn't make me a cold hearted person because I don't feel being at home is a prison and contrary to what some on here have posted, I am not just staring at walls, etc etc. Many posters only like to relate the negative effects of staying at home and I'm simply giving another viewpoint. I don't think it's right that I'm made to feel bad because I'm giving another view.

There is a favorite business of ours that was struggling so we purchased stuff online to help. Additionally, with the pay cut, I can't just spend and keep everyone afloat.
No, it definitely doesn’t make you cold for enjoying staying at home and I’m sorry if I misinterpreted your post. This is a hard situation for a lot of people but you’re right, does have some silver linings for many as well.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:09 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,372,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
No, it definitely doesn’t make you cold for enjoying staying at home and I’m sorry if I misinterpreted your post. This is a hard situation for a lot of people but you’re right, does have some silver linings for many as well.
I know and I feel bad about that.

TBH I'm anxious about being laid off too. I've been through 9/11 (worked on Wall Street), yet I never really worried about losing my job. But this is different. I left my job of 10 years to start up a litigation section with my attorney and I've only been at this firm for two years. They've already let people go. They said it was either pay cut or layoff. Both pills were hard to swallow but I'll take the cut, of course. But let's say they don't get back on their feet? We don't bring in enough business? Our clients continue to not pay? My billable hours have gone down.

I try not to dwell on it so I do try and focus on the silver linings - like increased time with my family. I'm valuing things differently now. Can't put a price tag on the happier things that have happened amidst the not so good things. I'm ashamed to admit, but pre COVID-19, I was working long hours and bringing work home with me. I didn't see the kids as much as I'd like. We were always gone. We have this house that we didn't really spend much time in. We all did our own things. But now we've grown closer. We watch movies together. I'm not boasting or anything, just expressing my thoughts on the matter. The situation is horrible but I'm trying to take the good out of it :/

Old 05-06-2020, 05:30 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,620,684 times
Quote:
I know and I feel bad about that.

TBH I'm anxious about being laid off too. I've been through 9/11 (worked on Wall Street), yet I never really worried about losing my job. But this is different. I left my job of 10 years to start up a litigation section with my attorney and I've only been at this firm for two years. They've already let people go. They said it was either pay cut or layoff. Both pills were hard to swallow but I'll take the cut, of course. But let's say they don't get back on their feet? We don't bring in enough business? Our clients continue to not pay? My billable hours have gone down.

I try not to dwell on it so I do try and focus on the silver linings - like increased time with my family. I'm valuing things differently now. Can't put a price tag on the happier things that have happened amidst the not so good things. I'm ashamed to admit, but pre COVID-19, I was working long hours and bringing work home with me. I didn't see the kids as much as I'd like. We were always gone. We have this house that we didn't really spend much time in. We all did our own things. But now we've grown closer. We watch movies together. I'm not boasting or anything, just expressing my thoughts on the matter. The situation is horrible but I'm trying to take the good out of it :/

I can totally relate to the worry. I am glad that some good things have come out of it for you and your family and others as well and do think it’s healthy to recognize and focus on that as much as possible.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:14 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 24 days ago)

34,566 posts, read 16,631,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Quote:
Just like you feel like it's your right to be in public, it's my right not to get sick and considering a pandemic is going on, have an ounce of consideration for your fellow man. Is it that hard?

And re: flu vs. COVID 19:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/healt...ths/index.html
Apparently, the answer is yes for too many.
Panic much? If you're that scared why don't the two of you stay home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Because as many a sign I've seen around these days says, "We're all in this together". Your going out sans mask, breathing all over everyone around you could cause innocent bystanders to get sick or even die. If your actions only affected YOU, I would have no problem with your actions. However, this virus can be spread even if you feel fine. What is right for you, therefore, becomes NOT right for others around you. Your behavior can have serious consequences for me. These are not normal times. Just don't get how that is so hard to comprehend.
We are talking about a disease with an infinitesimal death or serious illness rate. We cannot shut down society for those who are the most vulnerable. Is Santa Claus going to pay everyone's salaries?

Old 05-06-2020, 06:20 PM

48,381 posts, read 34,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Panic much? If you're that scared why don't the two of you stay home?
No one said anything panic driven. This is a pandemic, you are supposed to socially isolate, almost every virologist, scientist, and epidemiologist agrees with this.

Are you able to have opinions without being derogatory to other posters? Or, is that the whole of your arguement? "You skeered."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think there is a lot of fear right now that is leading to some hysterical views in regards to masks. I think the focus on masks is overblown when looking at the scientific evidence.
Part of the purpose of requiring masks is to create a panic-stricken atmosphere.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:26 PM

Default Covid Shredding of Friendships

Quote:
The one thing I miss is family and friends but that’ll come in time. I’m in no rush.
I'm not sure that those are coming back.

Recently one of the lines in my email to several select friends was " Just sad that virtually all the friendships I have built up over the years are shredded." When someone with whom I have been friendly for over 47 years responded, he said "certainly not with us." I promptly picked up the phone and called him to explain myself.

I explained that with getting together personally at restaurants or going to performances being flatly impossible for the foreseeable future and even in-house or apartment two-couple gatherings being of questionable legality, it would realistically be a matter of years, not months, to see friends. Over time things change. And calling people is not a solution. I have another friend that I consider close (aside from that person) recently. He terminated the conversation after five or so minutes, citing the need to return another "long distance" (even though those don't exist any more) call. I didn't challenge it. That friendship, and others, is gone.

Emails typically get monosyllabic responses. It's as if Covid spreads electronically. Reunions, graduations, wedding, and other joyous events, well into the future, gone. Even funerals, gone. Churches and synagogues, the hub of activity for many, are not realistically reopening. Despite mine and others stating that this lockdown is an overreaction, the elected officials just don't care. They are not locked down. In fact, quite the contrary. If suicides spike, you'll get a government program to study and address the issue, and maybe engage a low-paid social worker or two, after years of high-price consultant "studies."

I think that many friendships will be the casualty of Covid-19.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:28 PM

48,381 posts, read 34,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We are talking about a disease with an infinitesimal death or serious illness rate. We cannot shut down society for those who are the most vulnerable. Is Santa Claus going to pay everyone's salaries?
Well, most economists disagree with you. The general opinion is, fix the pandemic and the economy will fix itself.

Okay, we are not going to do that. We are going to let the pandemic do it's thing, and concentrate on the economy. Ok, I understand.

But considering around 60% of the population is more concerned with the pandemic than the economy (if forced to choose), they will not really be going to all those businesses that open up, and an open business has MANY more bills than a closed one.

And if cases shoot up and deaths increase. Even less people.

And if you catch it? Hope you get the mild version, because if you end up in the hospital, you may have a bill for 10s of thousands. Or, god forbid, one of the parents die in the household? You thought unemployment plus $600 a week is bad? Try losing one income earner, for life.

Sure, it's killing mainly the old, but it is hospitalizing a bunch of 30-50 year olds.

I understand wanting to get back to work, but really, you need to look at all sides.

Hopefully it does slow down during summer months, but we don't know that yet. I will not gamble my families life on people that are bigger on slogans than actual plans.

I'm really confused on losing friendships due to this. Such an odd thing. I don't feel any of my friendships are endangered. Is that the problem? Are you feeling depressed and like you will have few friends when this is over? I doubt that is true.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, most economists disagree with you. The general opinion is, fix the pandemic and the economy will fix itself.

Okay, we are not going to do that. We are going to let the pandemic do it's thing, and concentrate on the economy. Ok, I understand.
Even Governor Cuomo admits that the shelter-at-home was and is futile. See Coronavirus survey reveals ‘shocking’ stats about hospitalized New Yorkers (link). Excerpt here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Post
Two-thirds of New Yorkers hospitalized with the coronavirus were admitted from their homes, a “shocking” statistic that defies social-distancing logic, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.

The curious conclusion was reached in a three-day survey of patients hospitalized with the bug conducted this week, and revealed by Cuomo during his daily press briefing.
To be fair, that article just posted now and Cuomo announced it in a mid-day live briefing. No one wants to be heartless but the lockdown has been useless drama.

Quote:
But considering around 60% of the population is more concerned with the pandemic than the economy (if forced to choose), they will not really be going to all those businesses that open up, and an open business has MANY more bills than a closed one. And if cases shoot up and deaths increase. Even less people.
Fewer will feel that way when their businesses go under or they lose their jobs.

Quote:
And if you catch it? Hope you get the mild version, because if you end up in the hospital, you may have a bill for 10s of thousands. Or, god forbid, one of the parents die in the household? You thought unemployment plus $600 a week is bad? Try losing one income earner, for life.
As I've posted over and over again I assume that I have been multiply exposed, though I disclose that my antibody test on April 26, 2020 came back negative.

Quote:
Sure, it's killing mainly the old, but it is hospitalizing a bunch of 30-50 year olds.

I understand wanting to get back to work, but really, you need to look at all sides.
Unfortunately people are gregarious and do not do well isolated and solo, psychologically or financially.

Quote:
I'm really confused on losing friendships due to this. Such an odd thing. I don't feel any of my friendships are endangered. Is that the problem? Are you feeling depressed and like you will have few friends when this is over? I doubt that is true.
I sure hope you are right. I did change that post since I communicated productively with one of the people whose friendship I considered over. However, major events tend to create watersheds in people's lives. An example.

When I was 15, on January 5, 1973 I lost my father from cancer. With one very significant exception all of the friendships that have remained from high school graduation on were either unknown to me in Fall 1972 or were remote acquaintances. Same with my father's widow, my mother. About 80% of her friendships ended, and most of her friends came through her second marriage, about one and one-half years later. So many friends are there for the good times.

I sincerely hope your experience differs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness