U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 05:56 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,293,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's a lame argument. Unfortunately, the virus doesn't give a crap what anyone wants. So if it's not "right" for me to wear a mask, and I infect someone who doesn't think being infected is "right" for them - who's right?

There's no room for individualism here. By not all pulling together to safeguard not only our own health but the health of everyone around us, we're saying we don't give a flying hang about anyone but ourselves.

Put on a damn mask, and keep six feet away. Don't be a jerk. Surely that's not too difficult?
Personal insults will get you nowhere and your reasoning may be a little over dramatic; did you think about that?
Rate this post positively

Old 05-07-2020, 08:12 AM

11,568 posts, read 8,382,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and we are not staying at home: next week our restaurants will open under strict guidelines: we are planning on our first "happy hour" in about 6 weeks or longer. We have a group that get together every Thurs. We are limiting it to only 8 of us the first week and of course we will be ordering food as well, as they are not open for just drinks, but we are super excited. We will also return to church , Sun the 17th and we are getting our pedicures on Sat and our hair cuts tomorrow. Chancy? maybe as we are over 60, but we are tired of spending day in and day out staring at each other.
I'm with you. We're kind of homebodies anyway, have a great home in a beautiful setting, and we even like each other, so can't say we sacrificed mightily in having to stay home. Yet we're still happy to get out and about and plan to do our part in supporting those people as they get back to their work and every day lives.

We're not in a densely populated area, and snowbird season has come and gone, so not too many places we frequent are crowded. It's no problem to maintain "social distance" guidelines. And the business owners are happy to see their returning customers.

We haven't gotten to that point where we can plan gatherings
with the friends with whom we usually socialize. This "Reopening" is just beginning, though, and we will get there.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:34 AM

12,745 posts, read 16,297,110 times
Quote:
Those of us who choose not to always wear a mask are not trying to tell the rest of you to just stay home if you don't want to get exposed.
Have you been reading some of the threads around the forum? That's exactly what a LOT of posters are saying.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:42 AM

14,915 posts, read 7,663,031 times
Quote:
This is your opinion and that of many others, but not all of us agree. I did not say I do not wear a mask.In fact I do,depending where I am going. That does not mean I expect everyone else to wear one. Speeding is not a good idea either but I don't expect everyone else to follow my driving habits. We can not go through life either shut in or wearing masks everywhere. Here is an example that many states are suggesting: ok, you can eat in restaurants but you must wear a mask until your order, or your water arrives. Then you can remove it for obvious reasons. Now what is the point? You will be in the restaurant without a mask for most o the time you are there. Why wear one at all? This is the same with the hair dresser or barber.

Just because we differ on this does not make either right or wrong. Those of us who choose not to always wear a mask are not trying to tell the rest of you to just stay home if you don't want to get exposed.

I agree. It’s also not recommended to touch the mask so taking it off with your hands to eat and then putting it back on after is a risk.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:02 AM

5,258 posts, read 3,107,670 times
I still have not been going out.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:34 AM

90,377 posts, read 108,903,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I wish that I could rep you again...This is THE PERFECT POST in response to (be polite Mike) someone who just doesn't give a damn for the rest of us, and our health and welfare.

Oh well
Thank you! Your observation has been correct over many issues, again to be polite.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:43 AM

35,273 posts, read 64,596,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My work/life balance has never been better. How you deal with a sucky situation is totally up to you.
Excellent point. I'm working 6-10 hours a day, depending on deadlines, but the burden of commuting has been lifted and that has had an amazing effect on my mood and outlook. Do I miss seeing my co-workers every day? Of course, but seeing them through a Teams meeting makes me appreciate them so much more.

I'm widowed and live alone (with a cat that hides most of the day, so she's lousy company! LOL), but I stay in touch with friends and family daily, so I'm not any more lonely than normal. I have plenty of time for domestic pursuits, especially since I'm not wiped out by a 45-minute commute in the maddening suburban Philadelphia traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
“The cloth masks or any masks appear to at least help reduce exposure,” said professor John Criscione, who teaches at Texas A&M University in the Biomedical Engineering Department.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Part of the purpose of requiring masks is to create a panic-stricken atmosphere.
Don't be ridiculous.

Quote:
I think that many friendships will be the casualty of Covid-19.
If so, those friendships weren't that great in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, most economists disagree with you. The general opinion is, fix the pandemic and the economy will fix itself.
Agreed. If we all get sick, we can't work anyway, and businesses will close.

Quote:
Even Governor Cuomo admits that the shelter-at-home was and is futile. See Coronavirus survey reveals ‘shocking’ stats about hospitalized New Yorkers
You conveniently left out this important excerpt from the article:

Quote:
State officials commissioned the survey to try to better understand how the coronavirus is continuing to spread even as the growth in new cases has slowed dramatically in the weeks after the implementation of social distancing measures.

They also clarified that the source of hospital admissions was simply asking patients where they lived before coming to the hospital — and was not an indicator of their compliance with social distancing guidelines or a potential source of infection.
Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I'm not going to work if they reopen..at least I'm putting my foot down anyway.
We're coming up with plans to reopen now. Do we continue allowing some people to work from home, and if so, every day, or a few days? Do we stagger start and end times to have the fewest people possible in the office at one time? It's hard to know what's best.

Quote:
wearing something over your mouth and nose isn't natural for me..at least not for long periods of time
It's not natural for anyone. I'd rather not wear a mask myself, but I'll do it because it's the right thing, the smart thing to do.

Quote:
Personal insults will get you nowhere and your reasoning may be a little over dramatic; did you think about that?
No, I didn't, because my post was not overly dramatic at all, nor did I insult anyone personally. Try again?

Old 05-07-2020, 10:01 AM

14,915 posts, read 7,663,031 times
Ohiogirl, Clearly, it is easier for people like you who are still working from home and don’t have to worry about finances. At least not yet.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:19 AM

8,522 posts, read 4,989,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
As you know, I'm also in the same metro as you, and I would say I am cautiously optimistic about the way Gov. Abbott is going about this. Texas is opening things up in what I consider to be a reasonable and stepwise fashion, with establishments being required to operate at far less than capacity, and additional businesses (like gyms, salons etc) scheduled to open in Mid May. Whether or not this is the right approach remains to be seen, but all the large Texas metros have had more than adequate hospital resources and availability up to this point, which I think is one of the major factors driving the state's decision.

I am not going to run out and look for things to do, particularly with my kids, just for the sake of doing them for another couple of weeks. OTOH, I am not going to necessarily stay hidden away at home either. My husband has continued to work and interact with the public this entire time, and I have been leaving the house usually every other day running all our errands, so it's not like I've been exactly sequestered here anyway.
There is this pervailing line of thought that the partial shut downs were somehow for the reason of not overtaxing the healthcare system. While that may have been partly a reason, or maybe an added advantage of a partial shutdown, the main reason was always to flatten the curve of the growth rate of the virus. For the country, for the states. By definition, a decrease in the growth would also decrease the burden on care providers.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03...rder-closures/

Old 05-07-2020, 11:49 AM

4,316 posts, read 8,153,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Because as many a sign I've seen around these days says, "We're all in this together". Your going out sans mask, breathing all over everyone around you could cause innocent bystanders to get sick or even die. If your actions only affected YOU, I would have no problem with your actions. However, this virus can be spread even if you feel fine. What is right for you, therefore, becomes NOT right for others around you. Your behavior can have serious consequences for me. These are not normal times. Just don't get how that is so hard to comprehend.

These truly are not normal times. In normal times we don't shut down the country and isolate people, force people into unemployment by intentional government act, . . . almost certainly increasing the suicide rate, addictions, domestic abuse, child molestation, mental illness - all of which have lifelong consequences. All of this while preventing the thing that would get us through this the fastest: a measure of group immunity - that same group immunity that would provide a measure of protection for the vulnerable. (Think of the healthy, immune group as a shield around the more vulnerable.)

In normal times "science" doesn't tell us that masks are bad one day, then good the next.

In normal times, government doesn't betray us by asking for one thing ("flatten the curve"), then demanding another. Oh, wait. This one sort of is normal - but still unacceptable.

In normal times, in the United States, visiting your friend or family member is not forbidden. Earning a living is not forbidden. Gathering for religious purposes is not forbidden.

In normal times, no one expects a disease to be eradicated before life is resumed.

In normal times, we know that people die of something, that the elderly are more likely to die than the young, and that the unhealthy are more likely to die than the healthy. In normal times, we grieve death. We don't forbid life.

In normal times, people look at data, not just at a governor saying, "Data, data, data." OK. Maybe they don't.

In normal times, in this country, the government does not send its army to remove innocent people from their homes for the crime of having only one bathroom.

In normal times, historically, people understand that a meaningful life has risks. They don't lock Grandma up and deprive her of activity, company, affection, . . . to keep her safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.