U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 09:23 AM

14,803 posts, read 7,633,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
People who are staying home are in large part older and retired--which is one reason they can stay home; a lot of us HAVE to go out to work. If you are a younger, healthy person who is able to go out and work, you are in better shape by default than an older, possibly sicker and weaker person who stays home. We've known from the beginning that older people are more vulnerable. The focus should have been on protecting them and not on making absolutely everything shut down.

Plus, fresh air, sunshine and activity are vital to health. One of the worst things governors and mayors have done is close beaches, trails, and parks. There has been no indication that I am aware of, that anyone has caught Covid while recreating outside.

I agree. This would have been a much more balanced approach.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-08-2020, 09:45 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,734,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What scares me is that, from what I’ve read, dying of Covid-19 feels like drowning. The lungs fill with fibrous tissue, and a person can’t breathe. Also, apparently, even if a person doesn’t die, the illness has so many symptoms that are really awful and that it can last even a couple of weeks.

So I am staying home where it’s safe.
Betcha dying in a car crash doesn't feel like drifting asleep on a silken pillowcase either. And dying from a gunshot wound or knife at the hands of a desperate home intruder who has been out of work and was trying to kick a drug habit that all this isolation and lack of services made impossible probably feels worse than drowning, especially if you get to watch loved ones get harmed first.

When did we all get to be such delicate cowards who wear health issues as badges of honor or excuses? That's frightening. Not some virus. We need to look to the Depression and Holocaust survivors, the WW2 vets for some inspiration. Seriously. Because if you sit around worrying that dying might feel bad, you really need to occupy yourself with some more productive activities and a crash course in toughening the hell up.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:03 AM

8,814 posts, read 10,044,980 times
Just because states are reopening, I'm NOT quick to get back out there. Heck, I've completely stopped getting takeout food since 3/26 & I used to get takeout a LOT! I won't feel completely safe to fully be back out there until a cure/vaccine's been invented.

I've stopped going to stores that were always crowded such as Walmart & Costo. I've ordered online instead & I don't have to go to Costo. The only (generally crowded store) I've gone to is Target because my certain location was never that crowded in general. But I've gone to a few other regular grocery stores too.

I have underlying health issues that impact my immunity, so I've been especially careful. I've worn a face shield (on top of a mask) the rare time I've gone to the grocery stores.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 05-08-2020 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-08-2020, 10:14 AM

12,697 posts, read 16,276,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We need to look to the Depression and Holocaust survivors, the WW2 vets for some inspiration.
You think they survived because they embraced the risks and didn't take steps to minimize it?

Old 05-08-2020, 10:29 AM

11,948 posts, read 11,762,101 times
Beaches and parks had to be closed because people congregate into tight groups and the virus is easily spread that way. If you can keep people apart OR IF PEOPLE SENSIBLY DISTANCE THEMSELVES then by all means have the beaches/parks open.

Again, the fault I believe lies with people. Inconsiderate, thoughtless people. There is no reason why people need to be so tightly packed together whether there's a virus present or not.

And I'm young. I'm fit. And I have "underlying health issues", as does my husband. It's not just older people that need this "protection". And I bet you there are many who also have issues but don't even know it yet. Over 60% of the Covid cases in my city were people under 65.

I also think that people don't literally have to stay in their homes. You can get fresh air by walking around the neighborhood if you are able or sitting in your backyard or on your balcony. Just avoid places where there are groups. Go to the more isolated sections of the beach.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:37 AM

9,922 posts, read 6,085,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Beaches and parks had to be closed because people congregate into tight groups and the virus is easily spread that way. If you can keep people apart OR IF PEOPLE SENSIBLY DISTANCE THEMSELVES then by all means have the beaches/parks open.

Again, the fault I believe lies with people. Inconsiderate, thoughtless people. There is no reason why people need to be so tightly packed together whether there's a virus present or not.
People at beaches and parks stay in tight groups only with their family members or friends. Yes, I know they are not supposed to be seeing friends. But if people are determined to see their friends, and beaches and parks aren't available, they won't just decide not to meet--they'll congregate in houses, which is verifiably much worse in terms of contracting a virus.

So, call it inconsiderate or thoughtless or whatever, but if it's going to happen, these groups are better off healthwise outside. The chance of contracting this or any other virus is much, much less in sunshine and fresh air.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:38 AM

14,803 posts, read 7,633,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

And I'm young. I'm fit. And I have "underlying health issues", as does my husband. It's not just older people that need this "protection". And I bet you there are many who also have issues but don't even know it yet. Over 60% of the Covid cases in my city were people under 65.

I also think that people don't literally have to stay in their homes. You can get fresh air by walking around the neighborhood if you are able or sitting in your backyard or on your balcony. Just avoid places where there are groups. Go to the more isolated sections of the beach.

What cases do you know of that occurred as a result of being at the beach or other outdoor places? Have there been a lot?

Old 05-08-2020, 10:40 AM

2,203 posts, read 844,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This is a direct link to the findings of the study.
“In conclusion, both surgical and cotton masks seem to be ineffective in preventing the dissemination of SARS–CoV-2 from the coughs of patients with COVID-19 to the environment and external mask surface.”

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2...led-comparison
I read the article and it was not a clinical study of actual disease prevention. It merely measured viral load counts on inner and outer surfaces of the masks of people who coughed.
That is not the same as the following clinical study which measured the variation in infection rate of surgical masks vs N95 published by JAMA in Sept 3 2019:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2749214

Both masks seemed to work equally well!
It remains to be seen if cloth would actually perform as well, but it might.
At this point so much is still not known, but I'll err on the side of caution thank you.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:40 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,734,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You think they survived because they embraced the risks and didn't take steps to minimize it?
Sure did. I have relatives that worked in coal mines, prostituted themselves and fled the Nazis in the middle of the night to save their family. If those aren't risk taking behaviors i don't know what is.

Time to get real. We need to reopen and stop holding everyone hostage to fear

Old 05-08-2020, 10:58 AM

12,697 posts, read 16,276,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Sure did. I have relatives that worked in coal mines, prostituted themselves and fled the Nazis in the middle of the night to save their family. If those aren't risk taking behaviors i don't know what is.

Time to get real. We need to reopen and stop holding everyone hostage to fear
Ummm, they took steps to flee the greater risks, they didn't stay and face that risk thinking that it was a joke, a hoax, or a minimal risk. It just isn't the same thing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What cases do you know of that occurred as a result of being at the beach or other outdoor places? Have there been a lot?
My understanding is that they do not know where the majority of people contracted the virus. That would make it difficult to determine if or how many cases occurred as a result of any specific activity, although it might be interesting to read up on how many spring breakers ultimately came down with the virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.