U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 10:58 AM

38,610 posts, read 24,323,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What cases do you know of that occurred as a result of being at the beach or other outdoor places? Have there been a lot?
Spring break.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Rate this post positively

Old 05-08-2020, 11:01 AM

14,912 posts, read 7,663,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Spring break.
Would you say that Spring Breakers partying, drinking, dancing together in large groups at the beach is the same as an average day at the beach or an exception?

Old 05-08-2020, 11:04 AM

38,610 posts, read 24,323,624 times
Quote:
Would you say that Spring Breakers partying, drinking, dancing together in large groups at the beach is the same as an average day at the beach or an exception?
Wouldn't you say with all the kids out of school, this could be viewed as a spring break type situation?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-08-2020, 11:04 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,737,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ummm, they took steps to flee the greater risks, they didn't stay and face that risk thinking that it was a joke, a hoax, or a minimal risk. It just isn't the same thing at all.
Sorry you are way off base.

They could have cowered in their homes, hunkered down and clutched pearls. They went into the fray. As did my Danish relatives who put their Jewish neighbors on boats in the middle of the night so they could flee to safety. As did my grandfather and great grandfather who fought in world wars. They were survivors willing to do whatever they could to feed their families and fight. They didn't sit around waiting for an expert to give them permission. They just went out and did.

We live in a world of delicate snowflakes who run to the doctor with every chill, have pills and syndromes as an excuse for every dysfunctional behavior. Now we're making normal hardworking people suffer because of our obsession with health risks. Its an insult to the generations who risked their lives so that we could have better ones.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wouldn't you say with all the kids out of school, this could be viewed as a spring break type situation?
Honestly, no, I see a big difference between a Spring Break type of party on the beach differently then an average day at the beach. I also think people’s understanding of the situation is a lot different no then it was back when that parting as happening.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:10 AM

About half of the deaths are occurring in nursing homes. I think we should be focusing more attention on how to mitigate the risk in nursing homes then worrying about families going hiking, camping, swimming, etc. or visiting small businesses.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:48 AM

9,466 posts, read 8,040,826 times
Quote:
About half of the deaths are occurring in nursing homes. I think we should be focusing more attention on how to mitigate the risk in nursing homes then worrying about families going hiking, camping, swimming, etc. or visiting small businesses.
The patients in nursing homes are no doubt catching the virus from the staff who are working there. Old people in nursing homes are not out there running around.

Are the nursing home staff doing all the activities you mentioned? Of course, some of them are. If so, the country needs to shut back down and wait longer before those in charge say it is safe. The President and the Governors who opened the country up too soon have made the sacrifices we all have made now worthless.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:55 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,737,303 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Unfortunately thats not been nor ever been the focus. The message was that anyone anywhere could die and you better be ready because this is the most awful threat ever. Not many people managed to dig beyond the headlines to understand that most of us are not at serious risk of anything more than a flu like illness. I know three younger people who had this and all are just fine. One 91 year old relative died of it quite quickly.

Resources should have be allocated to the risk groups
Instead everyone who has ever had a sprained toe or IBS now believes they should live in a bunker until there is a vaccine.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:58 AM

9,969 posts, read 6,106,266 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Some people are pushing a claim that everyone is equally at risk, which is manifestly not true. Everyone may be at some risk, but there needs to be a more logical method of assessing and dealing with it than simply locking everyone down.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The patients in nursing homes are no doubt catching the virus from the staff who are working there. Old people in nursing homes are not out there running around.

Are the nursing home staff doing all the activities you mentioned? Of course, some of them are. If so, the country needs to shut back down and wait longer before those in charge say it is safe. The President and the Governors who opened the country up too soon have made the sacrifices we all have made now worthless.

Or we could offer hazard pay and incentivize the workers to live at the nursing home or at least shelter at home until it is safer.

66% of NY hospitalizations were in people who stayed home so also not promising in terms of our current approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.