U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 12:02 PM

3,178 posts, read 1,733,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Low risk does not mean no risk. Just because you know three (3) that recovered, that does not mean everyone in their circumstances recovers. And please do not refer to this as similar to the flu. It's not! It's a different virus.
Its is a different virus but most people will get a "flu like illness with mild to moderate symptoms " according to the CDC WHO NIH etc. Not my verbiage.

I don't understand why people want this to ge more than it is. Many on this forum seem determined to convince everyone that they will die if they leave the house. The facts don't bear that out.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-09-2020, 12:14 PM
Status: "Pulse Amplitude Modulation is after meh!" (set 8 days ago)

2,687 posts, read 1,013,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
As I keep saying....

I know three people who got this, were tested and confirmed, and recovered. All were healthy and well under 65. All recovered in a week or two. No bigger deal than a seasonal flu. One has very slight symptoms.

My relative, 91, in poor health, died in a few days. The landscape and risk level are DIFFERENT for age groups, weight, immune health etc. Its not that people are going out to party and winding up on ventilators. Most of us who get this will be slightly inconvenienced with an illness for a few weeks. We will not be hospitalized. We will not have huge bills.

Shutting off our economy for months makes no sense. Please let's not blanket everything in z thick layer of panic. Time to sensibly and critically view facts....not fearful conjecture.
Fearful conjecture? Our economy is not shut off. That would be a fearful conjecture. Maybe your personal economy has hit a crunch. But, make no mistake - there are plenty of people making big bucks right now. Businesses going through bankruptcy not because they need to, but because they can, and it will increase their future profits. And there is more but Im not looking to write a book.

Between 5/7 and 5/8/2020, almost 1000 people died in New York State. That is not a fearful conjecture. That is a documented fact. Young perfectly healthy athletes have died - its not all just 90 year old's in nursing homes.

Here is another fact - you are not safe from this virus ever, as far as we currently know. China has been dealing with it since at least September, and they still have people dying from it, just at a much slower rate currently.

When we are young we tend to think we are invincible. That's why young people take risks and do stupid things - the bad is NOT going to happen to them. Sometimes they get real lucky. Most times, they don't.

I don't personally care if a stupid kid feels its okay to thumb their nose at this virus, unless that young stupid can effect me. And if I cant get the medical help I need because the EMS and all other services are overwhelmed, because the young stupid kid selfishly didn't see a reason to try to to slow the rate of infection down - please remember when I die, Im going to come back and haunt your adze. You may never get a good nights sleep again.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 05-09-2020 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikala43 View Post
my husband posted a meme along the lines of "sure go out, party with friends, go shop and dine. But make sure your life insurance is up to date because i ain't gofunding shyte."

i think people are being very limited in their thinking. Death is just the worst option. Then there are 30k dollar hospital bills, and potentially life long health problems.

I don't know what this thing will do - heck it could die out during summer, i don't know. When i don't know something with a high negative impact, i am going to err on the side of caution.

I'll hold your beer, you can jump in.

Am i afraid and hiding? No. But i have done my due diligance in reasearch and it looks like the less socializing the better, for now.
lol!

Old 05-09-2020, 12:43 PM

14,769 posts, read 7,622,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Fearful conjecture? Our economy is not shut off. That would be a fearful conjecture. Maybe your personal economy has hit a crunch. But, make no mistake - there are plenty of people making big bucks right now. Businesses going through bankruptcy not because they need to, but because they can, and it will increase their future profits. And there is more but Im not looking to write a book.

Between 5/7 and 5/8/2020, almost 1000 people died in New York State. That is not a fearful conjecture. That is a documented fact. Young perfectly healthy athletes have died - its not all just 90 year old's in nursing homes.

Here is another fact - you are not safe from this virus ever, as far as we currently know. China has been dealing with it since at least September, and they still have people dying from it, just at a much slower rate currently.

When we are young we tend to think we are invincible. That's why young people take risks and do stupid things - the bad is NOT going to happen to them. Sometimes they get real lucky. Most times, they don't.

I don't personally care if a stupid kid feels its okay to thumb their nose at this virus, unless that young stupid can effect me. And if I cant get the medical help I need because the EMS and all other services are overwhelmed, because the young stupid kid selfishly didn't see a reason to try to to slow the rate of infection down - please remember when I die, Im going to come back and haunt your adze. You may never get a good nights sleep again.
20.5 million unemployed people, 14.7% unemployment. Our economy is in really bad shape.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:50 PM

21,953 posts, read 8,604,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
20.5 million unemployed people, 14.7% unemployment. Our economy is in really bad shape.
Self-inflicted I may add.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:53 PM

14,769 posts, read 7,622,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Self-inflicted I may add.
Inflicted the the government with small business owners and individuals paying the price.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:55 PM

9,449 posts, read 8,030,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So you’re staying home for four years?
I’ll have to move to another country if that’s the case. The USA will go completely to the dogs if he’s still in power after January.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:01 PM

9,449 posts, read 8,030,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
As I keep saying....

I know three people who got this, were tested and confirmed, and recovered. All were healthy and well under 65. All recovered in a week or two. No bigger deal than a seasonal flu. One has very slight symptoms.

My relative, 91, in poor health, died in a few days. The landscape and risk level are DIFFERENT for age groups, weight, immune health etc. Its not that people are going out to party and winding up on ventilators. Most of us who get this will be slightly inconvenienced with an illness for a few weeks. We will not be hospitalized. We will not have huge bills.

Shutting off our economy for months makes no sense. Please let's not blanket everything in z thick layer of panic. Time to sensibly and critically view facts....not fearful conjecture.
One thing nobody knows is what are the long term effects are of Covid. There could be bodily organs that are impacted for a lifetime.

Last edited by staywarm2; 05-09-2020 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 01:06 PM

3,178 posts, read 1,733,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

We are actually doing fine personally but many many others are not. Im sure my husband and I both had this before it was discussed as a threat. I truthfully could care less if im exposed.

I don't believe in ghosts. I do believe in facts. Depression era levels of unemployment versus a bad flu season number of dead....when most of those were not in good shape to start? Those facts seem pretty obvious to me.i guess some of us care more about the well-being of our nation's economic, mental and emotional health more than we care about our own individual health.

Greatest good for the greatest number....lots more suffering financially than from an infection.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Really? You mean to tell me none of those 20.6 million had any savings at all? I have
read so many allegedly 'rich' posts on these very forums. Fortunately, in a lot places evictions and mortgage debts are on hold.

Actually, one of the first things I noticed about my own 'emergency preparedness plan' (put forth in training from my job) was it was missing economics. Sure, I had 40 bucks stashed somewhere, but it would not be enough to keep me alive for a few months. That and PPE was missing. I now plan to save up enough to keep me going if I have to miss work for a few months. I also plan to build up some PPE in the future. Ive learned the hard way that both of those things are important too.

Do they have any other ways to make money do you think? Delivery is big where I am. There are many forms of delivery from foot messaging to bikes to vehicles and even filling in for UPS drivers who have fallen ill. One of the first things I noticed was people I used to see delivering pizzas in my neighborhood were now delivering packages for UPS.

How many of them are looking for other ways to generate income? And how many of them are hoping that the Democratic stimulus of $2000 a month per person including any kids will bail them out if it happens?

Okay, I have to say, if the Democrats get that put across many families will be getting more from the stimulus than they ever got while fully employed. A husband wife and 2 kids - that's $ 8K a month for doing nothing. Ive seen plenty of corporate and bank bailouts in the past, so hey! Why not families for once?

But, how much do you really want to do nothing? Even if you aren't a social butterfly, one of the hardest things about this virus is that it forces us to be antisocial. It's in everyone's best interest to be antisocial right now, but its difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.