U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 01:15 PM

1,750 posts, read 933,961 times

Advertisements

Re: emotiioo: poppycock. The grim reaper is much better with a pandemic than he is with finances.

We've had more covid deaths in the past 2.5 months than in any flu season for the past decade. Moreover, Covid has double the number of deaths than the flu for over half of those years, and we're not done yet.

It's not just a bad flu year. Jeeze. I thought this nonsensical idea dropped away.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-09-2020, 01:28 PM
Status: "Pulse Amplitude Modulation is after meh!" (set 10 days ago)

2,700 posts, read 1,015,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We are actually doing fine personally but many many others are not. Im sure my husband and I both had this before it was discussed as a threat. I truthfully could care less if im exposed.

I don't believe in ghosts. I do believe in facts. Depression era levels of unemployment versus a bad flu season number of dead....when most of those were not in good shape to start? Those facts seem pretty obvious to me.i guess some of us care more about the well-being of our nation's economic, mental and emotional health more than we care about our own individual health.

Greatest good for the greatest number....lots more suffering financially than from an infection.
You are talking like you live in your own little bubble, and only care about what you perceive reality to be, rather than what it really is.

How will your mental and emotional health fare when you start seeing the facts for what they really are?

Even Kylie Jenner is more in tune with reality than what you just said. She is 22, worth $300 million dollars, and therefore I would envision her to be more likely to live in a bubble than you. Just goes to show how personal perceptions can be wrong.

Sure, pinches in income can be painful - but the dead have no real use for money either.

Speaking of the Depression - my mother-in-law, a child who grew up in the Depression, could save money when there was none to be saved. Now is a good time for us all to catch up with her skills.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:29 PM

14,803 posts, read 7,633,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Really? You mean to tell me none of those 20.6 million had any savings at all? I have
read so many allegedly 'rich' posts on these very forums. Fortunately, in a lot places evictions and mortgage debts are on hold.

Actually, one of the first things I noticed about my own 'emergency preparedness plan' (put forth in training from my job) was it was missing economics. Sure, I had 40 bucks stashed somewhere, but it would not be enough to keep me alive for a few months. That and PPE was missing. I now plan to save up enough to keep me going if I have to miss work for a few months. I also plan to build up some PPE in the future. Ive learned the hard way that both of those things are important too.

Do they have any other ways to make money do you think? Delivery is big where I am. There are many forms of delivery from foot messaging to bikes to vehicles and even filling in for UPS drivers who have fallen ill. One of the first things I noticed was people I used to see delivering pizzas in my neighborhood were now delivering packages for UPS.

How many of them are looking for other ways to generate income? And how many of them are hoping that the Democratic stimulus of $2000 a month per person including any kids will bail them out if it happens?

Okay, I have to say, if the Democrats get that put across many families will be getting more from the stimulus than they ever got while fully employed. A husband wife and 2 kids - that's $ 8K a month for doing nothing. Ive seen plenty of corporate and bank bailouts in the past, so hey! Why not families for once?

But, how much do you really want to do nothing? Even if you aren't a social butterfly, one of the hardest things about this virus is that it forces us to be antisocial. It's in everyone's best interest to be antisocial right now, but its difficult.
i am sure some people have savings but many do not, for example those working in the service industry. The negative economic impact of the shut down could last years and will hit many people. Businesses will disappear, jobs will disappear. Have some empathy.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
i am sure some people have savings but many do not, for example those working in the service industry. The negative economic impact of the shut down could last years and will hit many people. Businesses will disappear, jobs will disappear. Have some empathy.
Yeah, you too. Have some empathy. Seems money is more important to some than life.

There is no reason to feel jobs will disappear. As long as their is a man, and he remains adaptable, he will find a way to survive.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you too. Have some empathy. Seems money is more important to some than life.

There is no reason to feel jobs will disappear. As long as their is a man, and he remains adaptable, he will find a way to survive.
Life is tied to the economy. Suicides are known to rise in times of economic downturns, domestic violence and child abuse are up from people being locked up together. People with addictions can only access meetings online which is not enough for many who will slip back into using. Food banks are seeing double and triple the amount of people in need. If you care about life, you may be able to recognize that both the virus as well as the shut down will lead to loss.

Feel free to shelter in place forever to stay safe from the virus but don’t expect the whole world to shut down to accommodate you. People need to work so that they can live.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:55 PM

1,750 posts, read 933,961 times
FWIW, I defiantly have empathy for those suffering financially. I think the government has completely screwed up by not making it easier to get food stamps, unemployment benefits, healthcare, etc. I was in a bad financial situation once for about 2 years and it was horrid and terrifying. I do know what it is to be there - to the point of picking up receipts in the parking lot of the Dollar Store that had $5 off coupons printed on them so I could buy groceries. Moreover, during that time (for about a week) my area was under evacuation orders and the weight of putting more onto my credit card for a hotel and meals was crushing. But it was life/death vs money.

The scales didn't balance at all.

Lastly, I don't think that our way of life is going to be permanently changed. I think people on all sides are freaking out, and shouldn't. Take precautions. Wear masks, gloves, use sanitizer, etc. This too shall pass. Bear it. Cuz really, what else are you going to do? Scream/yell/threaten those underpaid "essential" workers at grocery stores asking you to obey the rules?

All this backlash for nothing but a mask.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Life is tied to the economy. Suicides are known to rise in times of economic downturns, domestic violence and child abuse are up from people being locked up together. People with addictions can only access meetings online which is not enough for many who will slip back into using. Food banks are seeing double and triple the amount of people in need. If you care about life, you may be able to recognize that both the virus as well as the shut down will lead to loss.

Feel free to shelter in place forever to stay safe from the virus but don’t expect the whole world to shut down to accommodate you. People need to work so that they can live.
As for your first paragraph, same stuff, different day.

I don't have the luxury of sheltering in place.

I am an essential employee in a hospital and it is mandatory that I show up for work everyday. I cant even take a 'mental health day' until this crisis is over.

Although I am not feeling the economic crunch (aside from at the grocery store on certain items), I am feeling the natural fear that comes from being forced to get on public transportation with numerous other people because there is no way all of us can get 6 feet, or even a couple of feet, between us. I don't know where all these allegedly unemployed people are going every morning, but there is more and more of them each day.

Then I hear the calls for respiratory therapists and other doctors all day long. There is a code name -all day long its called. We all know why its being called, and sometimes just as fast - its cancelled. We all know why it was cancelled. At that job I am packed on the elevator with people in hazmat suits. I know why they are wearing hazmat suits.

I see people I have known for almost two decades become ill and die. Some of those I work side by side with, yet still don't have the antibody for this virus. Im not sick. How am I not sick? Every moment at work is a source of anxiety.

I guess the grass is always perceived to be greener on the other side, but at least someone sheltering in place can take a nap whenever they feel like it, to escape their anxiety.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:19 PM

9,454 posts, read 8,033,786 times
Quote:

I am an essential employee in a hospital and it is mandatory that I show up for work everyday. I cant even take a 'mental health day' until this crisis is over.

Although I am not feeling the economic crunch (aside from at the grocery store on certain items), I am feeling the natural fear that comes from being forced to get on public transportation with numerous other people because there is no way all of us can get 6 feet, or even a couple of feet, between us. I don't know where all these allegedly unemployed people are going every morning, but there is more and more of them each day.

Then I hear the calls for respiratory therapists and other doctors all day long. There is a code name -all day long its called. We all know why its being called, and sometimes just as fast - its cancelled. We all know why it was cancelled. At that job I am packed on the elevator with people in hazmat suits. I know why they are wearing hazmat suits.

I see people I have known for almost two decades become ill and die. Some of those I work side by side with, yet still don't have the antibody for this virus. Im not sick. How am I not sick? Every moment at work is a source of anxiety.

I guess the grass is always perceived to be greener on the other side, but at least someone sheltering in place can take a nap whenever they feel like it, to escape their anxiety.
So sorry you have to work under these conditions. I and many, many others appreciate what you are doing.

God bless you and keep you safe and well.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:20 PM

11,948 posts, read 11,762,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We are actually doing fine personally but many many others are not. Im sure my husband and I both had this before it was discussed as a threat. I truthfully could care less if im exposed.

I don't believe in ghosts. I do believe in facts. Depression era levels of unemployment versus a bad flu season number of dead....when most of those were not in good shape to start? Those facts seem pretty obvious to me.i guess some of us care more about the well-being of our nation's economic, mental and emotional health more than we care about our own individual health.

Greatest good for the greatest number....lots more suffering financially than from an infection.
You sure love to talk out of your ass. That's a real talent there.

After looking at the pictures of all of the profiled dead, it amazes me that such drivel would come out of your mouth. Many of those were in "good shape to begin with".

I, for one, give a **** about individual health, and not necessarily just my own. And you can also care about the nation's economy as well. they're not mutually exclusive.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:

You’re still earning a paycheck so I guess it makes it hard to understand.

What city are you working in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.