Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 01:22 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
As for your first paragraph, same stuff, different day.

I don't have the luxury of sheltering in place.

I am an essential employee in a hospital and it is mandatory that I show up for work everyday. I cant even take a 'mental health day' until this crisis is over.

Although I am not feeling the economic crunch (aside from at the grocery store on certain items), I am feeling the natural fear that comes from being forced to get on public transportation with numerous other people because there is no way all of us can get 6 feet, or even a couple of feet, between us. I don't know where all these allegedly unemployed people are going every morning, but there is more and more of them each day.

Then I hear the calls for respiratory therapists and other doctors all day long. There is a code name -all day long its called. We all know why its being called, and sometimes just as fast - its cancelled. We all know why it was cancelled. At that job I am packed on the elevator with people in hazmat suits. I know why they are wearing hazmat suits.

I see people I have known for almost two decades become ill and die. Some of those I work side by side with, yet still don't have the antibody for this virus. Im not sick. How am I not sick? Every moment at work is a source of anxiety.

I guess the grass is always perceived to be greener on the other side, but at least someone sheltering in place can take a nap whenever they feel like it, to escape their anxiety.
Bless your heart. It's rough up there in NYC (I'm from the Bronx myself). People seem to forget about other states since their state hasn't been affected as much.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:31 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You’re still earning a paycheck so I guess it makes it hard to understand.

What city are you working in?

Really obtuse response to said posters comments concerning what they're going through.

CC: You're one of our heroes...and I'm sorry people you know have died. You struggle on through it all. I thank you.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Really obtuse response to said posters comments concerning what they're going through.

CC: You're one of our heroes...and I'm sorry people you know have died. You struggle on through it all. I thank you.
I am going to assume they work in NYC which is in a very different situation then most parts of the country and hence may need to take a very different approach.

What I find obtuse is the blindness towards the situation many are in in terms of no longer having income. The only thing that matters to so many people is this virus. Nothing else.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:37 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,547 times
Quote:
I am going to assume they work in NYC which is in a very different situation then most parts of the country and hence may need to take a very different approach.

What I find obtuse is the blindness towards the situation many are in in terms of no longer having income.
Clearly, you haven't read my post about that.

Brrrr.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:41 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Quote:
You’re still earning a paycheck so I guess it makes it hard to understand.

What city are you working in?
No, I understand, and if you have been reading my posts you would know that. You seem to ignore the fact that your life does not revolve around a paycheck. That piece of paper does you no good if your health is ravaged, or you die.

As someone else said, death is not the worst outcome for some. The road to recovery will be long and hard, if achievable at all. Would you rather be in their shoes? I would think waiting out a virus, otherwise healthy and happy would be preferable, but, I don't understand, so why don't you try to explain it to me.

I also understand that I can live in a tent if I have too. Key word here is 'live'. I can adapt. I am a normal human being with the natural born skill of adaptability. I can fish, hunt and forage if I have to.

I am in the Epicenter of this virus - NYC. I guess if you don't see people dropping around you then you don't understand. Hopefully, you never do understand, and NYC can hold the line long enough so that blow from the waves that follow will not be so tough.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:45 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
No, I understand, and if you have been reading my posts you would know that. You seem to ignore the fact that your life does not revolve around a paycheck. That piece of paper does you no good if your health is ravaged, or you die.

As someone else said, death is not the worst outcome for some. The road to recovery will be long and hard, if achievable at all. Would you rather be in their shoes? I would think waiting out a virus, otherwise healthy and happy would be preferable, but, I don't understand, so why don't you try to explain it to me.

I also understand that I can live in a tent if I have too. Key word here is 'live'. I can adapt. I am a normal human being with the natural born skill of adaptability. I can fish, hunt and forage if I have to.

I am in the Epicenter of this virus - NYC. I guess if you don't see people dropping around you then you don't understand. Hopefully, you never do understand, and NYC can hold the line long enough so that blow from the waves that follow will not be so tough.
NYC is the epicenter. I don’t know why, but it’s way worse there then almost anywhere in the US. Do you have any thoughts as to why? How it’s handled in NYC does not need to be the same as how it is handled elsewhere. There can be room for some more balance. I don’t think we can hide from the virus indefinitely. It’s not sustainable.

Of course my life doesn’t revolve around a paycheck but I have kids to feed and a mortgage to pay. Food and housing are important to most people.

You can quit your job and join the ranks of the unemployed if you think it’s so easy.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:53 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Step daughter is an RN in AZ, and got called to go to CO. She started in Feb "it's just a bad flu" and now she is on the opposite spectrum "stay home, this is no joke. I am seeing healthy 30 year olds dying."

The more stupid people that go out and get infected the more they endanger our health care workers.

I think it is around 20% of those 20-55 end up hospitalized. Then you get hospital bills AND out of work.
I cant speak for everywhere, but my facility is municipal, and we aren't billing anyone yet if its COVID related. There is speculation that the government may be working on something to cover that as well.

God bless your step daughter.

They don't just endanger healthcare workers - they endanger everyone by clogging up the healthcare system faster than it needs to be. The point is to keep facilities available and not crushed under the weight of too many people getting sick all at the same time.

This virus will probably get a shot at all of us. I mean, you are not going to have antibodies until you are exposed, and you cant hope to be anywhere close to safe until you are exposed, or an effective and proven vaccine comes forth. We need to control that exposure rate so we can keep our facilities open.

Anyone's paycheck is not in everyone's best interests. Keeping medical care available to those that need it IS in everyone's best interest.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

What I find obtuse is the blindness towards the situation many are in in terms of no longer having income. The only thing that matters to so many people is this virus. Nothing else.
Do none of these people qualify for unemployment? This is not like the early days of the Depression, when there were no safety net programs at all in place. I think ours could be better, but we do have them. My own family members have been affected, so I do get it.

What I find obtuse is the blindness towards the fact that low risk is not no risk, and that there is no "recovery" program for the dead.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:35 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Default Governor Cuomo's Role in Nursing Home Covid Carnage

Quote:
NYC is the epicenter. I don’t know why, but it’s way worse there then almost anywhere in the US. Do you have any thoughts as to why? How it’s handled in NYC does not need to be the same as how it is handled elsewhere. There can be room for some more balance. I don’t think we can hide from the virus indefinitely. It’s not sustainable.

Of course my life doesn’t revolve around a paycheck but I have kids to feed and a mortgage to pay. Food and housing are important to most people.

You can quit your job and join the ranks of the unemployed if you think it’s so easy.
It really isn't that bad here. One or two hospitals are bad but that's it. They've added "presumed" cases to the numbers. Also see Cuomo gives seniors in nursing homes a death sentence, and Why did Cuomo force nursing homes to take hunan coronavirus-infected oldsters? Also I consider it possible that Cuomo wanted to "inflate" the number of actual deaths to benefit the Democratic Party (a party of which I am a proud member).

See Cuomo under fire for response to Covid-19 at nursing homes. Excerpt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico
State health officials, he added, also directed nursing homes to accept Covid-19 patients, even after the AMDA – The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine came out against the policy and other states followed suit.

**********“We know that allowing COVID into a nursing home is an invitation for it to spread, and we need to make sure that we take necessary steps to protect residents,” said Senate GOP Leader John Flanagan in a statement issued after newly released data suggested 1,700 more people had died at nursing homes and adult care facilities than previously thought.
I would hate to think that this lethal mistake was deliberate. Who knows?

Old 05-09-2020, 02:58 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:

That is not true. What makes you think that the virus is the only thing that matters and that people are blind to others' plights? How do you know others' financial status? Just because opinions don't align with yours? Why are things black or white and not gray?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness