Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 07:21 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Flu vs Covid19 doesn't mean JHs views them the same.
They compared them. They gave data about flu deaths. I was responding to the accusations that rationsl people don't compare the two. JHU is a pretty rational institution last time i checked.

Sorry I think this is overblown. I've known three people who had this, all young and all recovered. My very elderly relative passed away. Protect those at risk, let the rest of us go on with life.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:33 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Hahah you would want a mask in my car too, it stinks! I need to deep clean it.

@ DubbleT But why would it bother you if someone wants to wear a mask? I would wear masks during cedar fever because I have bad allergies and it works for me. What's it to you?
It wouldn't. If someone feels better wearing a mask in their car or outside on a walk then that's fine. They might be overly cautious, or maybe they have a good reason for it. I'd rather people err on the side of caution than otherwise.
I was merely pointing out the error in making an assumption about masks in cars.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
I have not left my house for seven or eight weeks (except for daily walks), as I am higher risk. All my food is delivered, all my medications are delivered and younger, healthier relatives have volunteered to run any other necessary errands for me. I do have at least two upcoming doctor appointments coming up via video conferencing.

I anticipate leaving my house for essential blood work in three or four weeks, but may then continue staying in my house until it is safer.

I don't care what the politicians decide about opening up my state or country, I am following the guidance of the doctors, CDC, WHO, etc. as to doing things in the community.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:04 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
If some of you want to live in fear, do that. Others will carry on and live life. Wear a mask and call it a day. This virus has a 0.18% death rate and most of whom are elderly and/or had pre-existing health issues before the virus. Absolutely ridiculous the economy was shut down for this.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:59 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Deaths may be mostly elderly, but the number of people with transmissible cases of COVID-19 is largely skewed much younger, and those younger people, often asymptomatic, are infecting innocent people, which is horrible. It's as if they are using a loaded weapon on an innocent group of people, like millions of Typhoid Mary's walking amongst us.

The elderly should not be treated as if they are second-class citizens, which is what will happen if every place opens up without safeguards now or soon.

See one state's COVID-19 cases (not deaths), below:

Statistics shared by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health show 53 percent of all confirmed coronavirus cases in the state involve residents under the age of 50.

There were a total of 5,752 confirmed cases across the Commonwealth and 4,142 were people under the age of 50.

There were 1,088 cases in people 50-59 years of age — the highest count of any age range.
There were 1,031 cases in people 30-39 years of age — the second highest case count.

The full case breakdown by age range is as follows:

≤19 years of age – 122
20-29 years of age – 953
30-39 years of age -1031
40-49 years of age – 948
50-59 years of age – 1088
60-69 years of age – 802
≥ 70 years of age -801
Unknown – 7

https://whdh.com/news/more-than-50-o...50-data-shows/

Chart (stats above) you can download:

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-ca...-2020/download

Also, patients are dying younger and younger, including children now.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-01-2020 at 11:11 PM..

Old 05-02-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If some of you want to live in fear, do that. Others will carry on and live life. Wear a mask and call it a day. This virus has a 0.18% death rate and most of whom are elderly and/or had pre-existing health issues before the virus. Absolutely ridiculous the economy was shut down for this.
Amen..

This is a documented psychological phenomenon....this desire for the apocalypse, worst case scenario feargasm:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...he-apocalypse/

I think the isolation and 24 hour news cycle of dire nonsense isn't helping.

The fact remains that many more people recovered than died. That you have probably a5 some point in your life carried an infection to someone else without knowing and maybe even caused serious illness or death in that person. That every time you get in a car you have a higher chance of dying than of this. But there's a (dwindling) contingent of the population that likes to stoke absolute paranoia about this and i fear even after a vaccine they will find a way to keep the fires lit and isolate. This will not help economic recovery.

There are more victims here than the people who died. The really scary part is still to come if we don't get our heads out of our azzez and start reopening.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:01 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Amen..

This is a documented psychological phenomenon....this desire for the apocalypse, worst case scenario feargasm:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...he-apocalypse/

I think the isolation and 24 hour news cycle of dire nonsense isn't helping.

The fact remains that many more people recovered than died. That you have probably a5 some point in your life carried an infection to someone else without knowing and maybe even caused serious illness or death in that person. That every time you get in a car you have a higher chance of dying than of this. But there's a (dwindling) contingent of the population that likes to stoke absolute paranoia about this and i fear even after a vaccine they will find a way to keep the fires lit and isolate. This will not help economic recovery.

There are more victims here than the people who died. The really scary part is still to come if we don't get our heads out of our azzez and start reopening.
“Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous the economy was shut down for this.
Agree completely!

Old 05-02-2020, 08:18 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The elderly should not be treated as if they are second-class citizens, which is what will happen if every place opens up without safeguards now or soon.
The elderly are being treated with tender loving care. It's everyone else who is a second-class citizen. Children can't go to school, workers are being laid off left and right, business owners are losing their businesses, no one can get their medical care, food pantry lines are going around the block.

Meanwhile Granny and Grampa sit comfortably on their couch watching TV, collecting their monthly checks, bringing in their food delivery, and saying "We'll be happy doing this forever!" If anyone should be abjectly grateful for the sacrifices being made on their behalf, it's the elderly. But I'm not hearing much about that. I'm hearing that no one is doing enough for the elderly.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The elderly are being treated with tender loving care. It's everyone else who is a second-class citizen. Children can't go to school, workers are being laid off left and right, business owners are losing their businesses, no one can get their medical care, food pantry lines are going around the block.

Meanwhile Granny and Grampa sit comfortably on their couch watching TV, collecting their monthly checks, bringing in their food delivery, and saying "We'll be happy doing this forever!" If anyone should be abjectly grateful for the sacrifices being made on their behalf, it's the elderly. But I'm not hearing much about that. I'm hearing that no one is doing enough for the elderly.
Right?! We are sacrificing our children's future for people to enjoy a few more years of life. Boggles the mind and goes to show the baby noomer stranglehold over resources and public opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness