Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 11:17 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times

Advertisements

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNDdamTDak

I ran across this woman’s idea a couple of years ago when I was still working and at that time I was hitting the snooze alarm at least 3x every workday morning. I tried this trick and found that it worked exceptionally well, which was amazing because I have always hated getting out of bed and the only thing that worked was the promise of a cup of coffee. To skip to the hack, start at 3:20. On another video she explains why hitting the snooze is so bad for your sleep cycles. Btw, this little trick works for many other areas of your life where you are tempted to hesitate or procrastinate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 12:17 PM

962 posts, read 612,180 times
I don't use an alarm clock often since I'm retired, but when I need to get up at a specific time, I developed a neat little system.

1) I set the alarm clock to the desired time.
2) When the alarm beeps, I get up.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Or maybe...
learn to love that you're not a morning person. Our circadian rhythms dictate when we're alert and when we want sleep. Getting up early isn't virtuous, that's just old fashioned nonsense spouted by smug morning people.

Yeah, I'm still in my jammies, what's your point?
I agree, I have NEVER been a morning person! Thankfully I have a job where I can start whenever I like, but sometimes I still have to attend meetings and those are normally at 8 or 9am.

I would prefer going to bed around 2 or 3am, getting up around 11am.

I have noticed the older I get, the longer it takes me to wake up and get going! When I was younger and had to be at work by 9, I could get up at 8:30, jump up and into the shower and be out the door by 8:50...now that Im 45 yrs old, I have to have about 1.5-2 hours of 'wake up' time. LOL

Old 05-03-2020, 12:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP: Thought about your post and maybe your body wants and needs the extra sleep. You say you make your work deadlines so unless you have a ton of things to accomplish during your day, sleep is healing.

Now going to bed at 2-3AM is out of my thinking and doing, totally. I did that occasionally when I was younger and dating etc...and boys were in my life, but to stay up that late just because...nope. And work to not be addicted to the computer.

Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

Plus you are missing the window of sleep, which I've read for years is 10PM-2AM, for our human growth hormone production from sleep.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-03-2020 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 02:21 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Use the power of your subconscious ! Tell yourself that you want to be wide awake 10 minutes before you alarm goes off because you are not sure if your alarm works. The thought that you might miss your train (or whatever) will give your subconscious the kick it needs to wake you.

Including what others have suggested:
0) Eat no later than 7:00pm No snack, milk or cereal, no whiskey before bed, nothing which will stop you sleeping.
1) go to bed earlier. 9-9:30 sleep - even if you cannot sleep then, you need to stay there and train yourself.
2) Maybe have a bath/shower before bed. Read a paper book (not on your phone/computer) for 30 minutes or until you are tired. Then P and go to sleep.
3) DO NOT sleep in the day AT ALL.
4) Move any electrical devices away from your head and away from your bed, so that you have to get up when they go off. Tell the entity who stole your alarm clock to bring it back !
5) Once up, do NOT go back to bed - even for a couple of minutes. Go wash and do stuff. Have breakfast.

When I had a dog, the only time I could walk her was at 5:30 in the morning before I went to work, so I trained myself to get up and do it.

Basically, if we want to, we can. I bet if there was a fire, you would be up and out of your house in no time, which just shows you, you could if you wanted to.

There are many things in life that we dont want to do, but we have to. What makes us do some of those and not others? It is how much importance we attach to those things we want to do. So, there is no such thing as "I can't get up" - what you mean is "I dont want to get up" which is a different thing altogether.

Now, you have to decide WHY you dont want to get up and what the pay-off is.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Use the power of your subconscious ! Tell yourself that you want to be wide awake 10 minutes before you alarm goes off because you are not sure if your alarm works. The thought that you might miss your train (or whatever) will give your subconscious the kick it needs to wake you.

Including what others have suggested:
0) Eat no later than 7:00pm No snack, milk or cereal, no whiskey before bed, nothing which will stop you sleeping.
1) go to bed earlier. 9-9:30 sleep - even if you cannot sleep then, you need to stay there and train yourself.
2) Maybe have a bath/shower before bed. Read a paper book (not on your phone/computer) for 30 minutes or until you are tired. Then P and go to sleep.
3) DO NOT sleep in the day AT ALL.
4) Move any electrical devices away from your head and away from your bed, so that you have to get up when they go off. Tell the entity who stole your alarm clock to bring it back !
5) Once up, do NOT go back to bed - even for a couple of minutes. Go wash and do stuff. Have breakfast.

When I had a dog, the only time I could walk her was at 5:30 in the morning before I went to work, so I trained myself to get up and do it.

Basically, if we want to, we can. I bet if there was a fire, you would be up and out of your house in no time, which just shows you, you could if you wanted to.

There are many things in life that we dont want to do, but we have to. What makes us do some of those and not others? It is how much importance we attach to those things we want to do. So, there is no such thing as "I can't get up" - what you mean is "I dont want to get up" which is a different thing altogether.

Now, you have to decide WHY you dont want to get up and what the pay-off is.
This is good. Also, when you get up, go out side and get some morning sunlight in your eyes, it helps your brain know that it's morning and that helps regulate your circadian clock.

I'm also one that leaves my curtains open so I get up naturally without an alarm. I used to be a night person, but doing the things above helped fix my internal clock.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:14 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I agree, I have NEVER been a morning person! Thankfully I have a job where I can start whenever I like, but sometimes I still have to attend meetings and those are normally at 8 or 9am.

I would prefer going to bed around 2 or 3am, getting up around 11am.

I have noticed the older I get, the longer it takes me to wake up and get going! When I was younger and had to be at work by 9, I could get up at 8:30, jump up and into the shower and be out the door by 8:50...now that Im 45 yrs old, I have to have about 1.5-2 hours of 'wake up' time. LOL
I was always like that and when I worked a day job I never got enough sleep. I tried really hard to reset my sleep schedule but found it’s even harder than losing weight. Ugh.

But I read somewhere that camping for a couple of weeks will reset your sleep schedule and not long after that I moved into my van and went on a permanent camping trip all over the US and by golly it works. Now I fight to stay awake past nine on most nights.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:35 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Two things that naturally woke me up :
Kids
Pets.

I put my alarm clock on the high dresser. Once I crawled out. .walked over to turn it off. I was alert .

It's annoying to be woken up by the alarm . I prefer to just wake up naturally....

Old 05-05-2020, 09:16 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
I once had a cell phone app where I had to answer a series of math questions before the alarm could be turned off. I didn't use that app too long before deleting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness