Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 01:42 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times

Advertisements

In Scientific American,

"Comparing COVID-19 Deaths to Flu Deaths Is like Comparing Apples to Oranges The former are actual numbers; the latter are inflated statistical estimates"

"...The 25,000 to 69,000 numbers that Trump cited do not represent counted flu deaths per year;

they are estimates that the CDC produces by multiplying the number of flu death counts reported by various coefficients produced through complicated algorithms. These coefficients are based on assumptions of how many cases, hospitalizations, and deaths they believe went unreported. In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is,

counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620, which far lower than the numbers commonly repeated by public officials and even public health experts...."

"...To do this, we have to compare counted deaths to counted deaths, not counted deaths to wildly inflated statistical estimates. If we compare, for instance, the number of people who died in the United States from COVID-19 in the second full week of April to the number of people who died from influenza during the worst week of the past seven flu seasons (as reported to the CDC), we find that the novel coronavirus killed between 9.5 and 44 times more people than seasonal flu. In other words, the coronavirus is not anything like the flu: It is much, much worse...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 02:01 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Great post.

There are many posters here on CD who complain about Covid deaths being inflated (some even say grossly inflated). They complain that some deaths being reported didn't have an actual Covid test done. And I just shake my head and wonder, "Did you actually think every single flu death was attributed to a positive flu test??" I guess many people don't realize the various ways a doctor determines the cause(s) of death, and they certainly aren't aware of the algorithms used for estimating yearly flu deaths.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:04 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Influenza is not a reportable disease, so many cases and deaths do not get reported. If the doctor in the SA article has never seen a flu death he is a terrible diagnostician.

Someone who initially had influenza could test negative for the virus by the time he is hospitalized, even though flu is what initially made him sick and ultimately resulted in his demise.

The CDC estimates actually do begin with data collected from several sites around the country on laboratory confirmed cases and that data is extrapolated to the entire country, and they are called just that: estimates.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Note to self >Must remember to hit quote button

Old 05-01-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
... and that data is extrapolated to the entire country, and they are called just that: estimates.
That's the point. Flu numbers are estimates, multiplied by confirmed numbers. Covid-19 deaths are not estimates, nor multiplied by anything.

And while I have no desire to defend a doc who never saw a flu death....the point is that he is the first person I've heard point out that the deaths are estimates. You may have known...but you can bet your bottom dollar that the general public thought they were firm numbers. They're not.

...........................~3.5k to ~16k flu deaths VS. ~65k Covid-19 deaths...................

I don't get what your problem is. Seems like you agree...but are annoyed because....?

Old 05-01-2020, 02:59 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
That's the point. Flu numbers are estimates, multiplied by confirmed numbers. Covid-19 deaths are not estimates, nor multiplied by anything.

And while I have no desire to defend a doc who never saw a flu death....the point is that he is the first person I've heard point out that the deaths are estimates. You may have known...but you can bet your bottom dollar that the general public thought they were firm numbers. They're not.

...........................~3.5k to ~16k flu deaths VS. ~65k Covid-19 deaths...................

I don't get what your problem is. Seems like you agree...but are annoyed because....?
Even though the flu deaths are estimated that is the best we can do with the data we have, because it is not possible to do a case by case count. Ultimately COVID-19 cases will be estimated, too, because not everyone who died from it has been tested.

That 3,500 to 16,000 flu deaths is not all of them, and the 65,000 COVID-19 deaths is probably not all of them, either.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:11 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,878,692 times
HOAX! Cuz government!! You can't count! CDC is in someone's pocket! You're russian!

I would have NEVER been sick if chemtrails hadn't dropped 5G all over the flat earth. It's Proof! It's Proof!

(am I on the right trail?)

Susan and Suzy, I have been trying to tell people this for three months - good luck. This virus has brought a stubborn flock to the top of the heap, and, while I ordinarily ignore them, this is literally life and death for some folks. No time for nonsense. I continue to post because I hope that just ONE fence-sitter will fall on the side of reality, and not kill their gramma as a result.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:23 PM

There a ton of stuff like this on the CDC website - but this sentence here doesn't seem to bother any of the naysayers on C-D:

"Only counting deaths where influenza was included on a death certificate would be a gross underestimation of seasonal influenza’s true impact."

Huh. Looks like they can just write any old thing for flu too, right? I don't see the outcry though...weird...

Old 05-01-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Even though the flu deaths are estimated that is the best we can do with the data we have, because it is not possible to do a case by case count. Ultimately COVID-19 cases will be estimated, too, because not everyone who died from it has been tested.

That 3,500 to 16,000 flu deaths is not all of them, and the 65,000 COVID-19 deaths is probably not all of them, either.
Okay. So we do agree.

Ya. Rood. I posted this because it lays it out pretty clearly...I have to say I didn't know the actual flu numbers were so low. I didn't come across anything about it. But I have not known anyone who died of the flu, but I do know of someone who died of Covid...well, I was suspicious as the doctor was.

The pro-plague people will be here, I'm sure. Making no sense. But as the article states, Covid-19 deaths are somewhere between 9x to 44x more than we currently think. That is, if you want to speak of flu numbers alongside it.

(Watch! They won't!)

Ah well, hope springs eternal. Hence my post.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:43 PM

One good number is the week to week death count, published by the CDC, that looks at the number a year ago compared to now. (If you showed ME that link, I apologize!)

That one tends to end a lot of arguments - those "extra" people died of something. So if it wasn't covid, there must be another as yet unidentified epidemic happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness