Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 08:14 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times

Advertisements

There is an issue with the rapidity with which COVID-19 mutates. Because of that it has been shown that COVID-19 IgG positive people can still contract a COVID strain just as virulent as the strain causing death in some.

It is important to realize that corona viruses are NOT like flu viruses. They are more like cold viruses which mutate rapidly and extensively enough to evade the immune response to one who already had the (similar) infection. Not enough is known about that at this time.

The IgG test (assuming it is extremely specific for COVID-19) may be useful for folks like me. I think I got it in early February. It was really no big deal at all, but I coughed all over my neighbors (lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 08:48 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Common cold. A coronavirus. Edit: someone beat me.
Chicken pox -->(herpes*)->shingles.
All related strains. Resurfacing at later times in a person's life.
*Herpes transmittal though thru certain means can still be in this viral family strain.

On topic- the company has had five/six month of data to research and sample. I wouldn't dismiss it. I'd be gently skeptical that it was accurate entirely.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:57 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
RSV is another example of a virus which does not produce lasting immunity after infection: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC88919/

Old 05-09-2020, 10:06 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I can! The four strains of human coronavirus that cause colds don't produce lifelong immunity; the immunity they initially induce fades away after a year or so. So you can catch them again and again and again... They are the gift that keeps on giving.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...ing-immunity#1

And a direct quote from this paper on SARS:

"However, on the basis of findings for other human coronavirus (OC43 and 229E) infections, it is known that immune protection is not long-lasting [6–8]."

(I'm sure a good PubMed search could pull up more references, but I'm feeling lazy tonight.)

But if COVID-19 produces immunity that lasts for at least a year, then a vaccine is doable. Might need a yearly booster, but that's hardly a problem; we could even combine it with that year's flu vaccine.
In answer to the question about viruses causing repeat infections, the Herpes species came to mind. As in Herpes simplex (types 1 and 2), which cause fever blisters and genital herpes. And Herpes zoster, which causes measles and shingles. And as the sufferers of recurring fever blisters, genital herpes lesions, and shingles can attest, these are the gifts that keep on giving.

But these are different critters than the coronavirus species, which are RNA viruses. The Herpes species are DNA viruses, which don't mutate nearly as rapidly than the RNA viruses. The Herpes species also really never leave their hosts once they've invaded their hosts for the initial infection, they take up residence in the sensory nerve cells. When they're reactivated, they cause outbreaks of the sores/shingles.

Fortunately there are vaccines available to help prevent shingles outbreaks. As I understand it, it's very difficult to produce vaccines against RNA viruses, due to their high mutation rate. That's one of the reasons they have not yet come out with a successful vaccine for the HIV retrovirus, though efforts to do so continue. And it's also why they've never come up with a successful coronavirus (ie, common cold) vaccine. I hope they will be more successful with this covid19 thing.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:54 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quest Diagnostics? Same testing company owned by Rick Scott's wife? Same testing company which was used to drug test Welfare recipients for benefits?

Old 05-11-2020, 07:42 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
So much misinformation in this thread. Is the internet making people dumber or are most people this ignorant?

Old 05-11-2020, 08:45 PM

608 posts, read 516,218 times
I just got an antibody test last week. My blood was drawn at a walk in clinic like you might use if you were injured on the job. The analysis was done through Lab corp. It turned out to be negative for the two tests they ran.

SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgM
SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgG

I just wanted to know because I got very sick in February with flu like symptoms unlike any I have experienced before. Fever and a very bad cough, but my sinuses stayed clear. I had also been vaccinated four months prior, so I was fairly sure that I had it.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:46 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
welp. this is gonna be a cash cow.

As many people are going bankrupt as there are people making bank during this covid sh*tfest.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:13 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I just wanted to know because I got very sick in February with flu like symptoms unlike any I have experienced before. Fever and a very bad cough, but my sinuses stayed clear.
As you are discovering, there are a LOT of different viruses that can cause a "flu-like" illness. In most of the country, the majority of the people who think they've had COVID-19 are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness