Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 12:20 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,547 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/u...gtype=Homepage

(Coronavirus news via NYT is free to all, fyi, as many news orgs do)

"...The Trump administration projects about 3,000 daily deaths by early June.
As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from the coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.

The projections, based on government modeling pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.

The numbers underscore a sobering reality: While the United States has been hunkered down for the past seven weeks, not much has changed. And the reopening to the economy will make matters worse.

“There remains a large number of counties whose burden continues to grow,” the Centers for Disease Control warned.

The projections confirm the primary fear of public health experts: that a reopening of the economy will put the nation right back where it was in mid-March, when cases were rising so rapidly in some parts of the country that patients were dying on gurneys in hospital hallways as the health care system grew overloaded...."

"...“While mitigation didn’t fail, I think it’s fair to say that it didn’t work as well as we expected,” Scott Gottlieb, Mr. Trump’s former commissioner of food and drugs, said Sunday on the CBS program Face the Nation. “We expected that we would start seeing more significant declines in new cases and deaths around the nation at this point. And we’re just not seeing that.”

On Sunday, Mr. Trump said deaths in the United States could reach 100,000, twice as many as he had forecast just two weeks ago. But his new estimate still underestimates what his own administration is now predicting to be the total death toll by the end of May — much less in the months that follow. It follows a pattern for Mr. Trump, who has frequently understated the impact of the disease.

“We’re going to lose anywhere from 75, 80 to 100,000 people,” he said in a virtual town hall on Fox News. “That’s a horrible thing. We shouldn’t lose one person over this.”

The White House responded that the new projections had not been vetted. (NOTE BY POSTER: Confused? It's the new normal. Read on. )

“This is not a White House document nor has it been presented to the Coronavirus Task Force or gone through interagency vetting,” said Judd Deere, a White House spokesman. “This data is not reflective of any of the modeling done by the task force or data that the task force has analyzed.”

“The president’s phased guidelines to open up America again are a scientific driven approach that the top health and infectious disease experts in the federal government agreed with,” he said.

Mr. Gottlieb said Americans “may be facing the prospect that 20,000, 30,000 new cases a day diagnosed becomes the new normal.”

Some states that have partially reopened are still seeing an increase in cases, including Iowa, Minnesota, Tennessee and Texas, according to Times data. Indiana, Kansas and Nebraska also are seeing an increase in cases and reopened some businesses on Monday. Alaska has also reopened and is seeing a small number of increasing cases.

While the country has stabilized, it has not really improved, as shown by data collected by The Times. Case and death numbers remain stuck on a numbing, tragic plateau that is tilting only slightly downward..."

"...The situation has devolved most dramatically in parts of rural America that were largely spared in the early stages of the pandemic. As food processing facilities and prisons have emerged as some of the country’s largest case clusters, the counties that include Logansport, Ind., South Sioux City, Neb., and Marion, Ohio, have surpassed New York City in cases per capita...."

Stay home. Be safe. Wear your mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 12:33 PM

962 posts, read 612,180 times
Not wearing a mask, ever. Masks are the illusion of safety.

I observe the masked cult members. They are constantly touching their mask- possibly contaminating the mask. And the mask is permanently mounted <1" from their mouth, nose.

Seems the same as no mask and constantly touching their mouth, nose.

Good luck to all. Stay well.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:29 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times
Why does the USA new case rate (and death rate) keep going up and up? The lockdown has been happening about six weeks. All you see on TV news is corona. I thought it was going to plateau a few weeks ago.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Why does the USA new case rate (and death rate) keep going up and up? The lockdown has been happening about six weeks. All you see on TV news is corona. I thought it was going to plateau a few weeks ago.

Someone wiser than me will have to come in with something more reliable; but anecdotally, when I drive by stores, farm stands, hiking areas, many are not distancing. Many without masks. Then there's the throngs of protesters standing side-by-side. Store employees being threatened by bullies when they tell them they can't come into the store without a mask. It was just last week that walmart employees by me got masks and gloves finally. Beaches filled with people. On and on.

Basically, the shutdown is a failure because we didn't do it right: from the cdc, government, corporate to individual.

Closing in on a quarter of a million dead worldwide...that we know of. And we're not done yet.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:45 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times
Have the demographics of new cases gradually shifted in the past few weeks? It's now lower income people who live in buildings with other people. But when it started it was more all over the place?

I live near LA and everyday I see groups of people not distancing, often sitting in front of stores. They may be migrant workers, homeless, people with drug experiences. A lot of people just don't pay attention to anything outside their world.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:22 PM

I don't know. I can tell you the non-distancers/non-mask wearers I've seen seem to come from all socioeconomic classes. From those in the medical field who refuse to wear masks away from work to the low-paid "essential" walmart workers who weren't given protective equipment. (Individual and corporate negligence.)

For any other information, you'll have to do your own research. To me, it doesn't matter...we're all one and have to do better for ourselves and others.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:25 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Because some states and counties are not putting safety measures in place. The cases wil only go up if people refuse to follow shelter in place guidelines and also be safe when out in public by wearing masks and washing hands frequently.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Because some states and counties are not putting safety measures in place. The cases wil only go up if people refuse to follow shelter in place guidelines and also be safe when out in public by wearing masks and washing hands frequently.

Ya. Can't believe I left the gov out of my reply.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I don't know. I can tell you the non-distancers/non-mask wearers I've seen seem to come from all socioeconomic classes. From those in the medical field who refuse to wear masks away from work to the low-paid "essential" walmart workers who weren't given protective equipment. (Individual and corporate negligence.)

For any other information, you'll have to do your own research. To me, it doesn't matter...we're all one and have to do better for ourselves and others.
Yeah, right.

Today I met up with my daughter after her work as a physical therapist. She was wearing a mask. Anecdotal I know, but where are you getting this idea that it's common for health care providers to not wear masks outside of work?

As for Walmart: https://www.businessinsider.com/walm...ar-them-2020-4
"The memo said employees would be permitted to bring their own face masks to work, as long as they meet certain guidelines. The company will also provide workers with masks."

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-04-2020 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 05-04-2020, 04:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Twofold.

One; more and more people are getting tested. My girlfriend got tested last week when she realized she probably had it back in January. Yep, she tested positive or whatever for the antibodies from when she was sick in January.

Testing now is easy and free. I can go to 25 different places in a ten mile radius of my house and get tested.

Two; so many people that have died from Covid-19 have pre-existing conditions but their death is listed as Covid-19. An example would be of a 97 year old man in a nursing home with congenital heart failure. He would not have survived a cold either but cause of death is Covid-19.

I'm not saying Covid-19 doesn't take out healthy people because it certainly does. What I am saying is to read between the lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness