Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 06:34 AM

719 posts, read 1,059,076 times

Advertisements

I took 2 500 MG tablets of Extra Strength Tylenol PM Sunday night .I had some problems sleeping the last couple of nights before .I woke up (actually I woke up a few times but went back to sleep) around 9 am Monday with a very dry mouth .The dry mouth seemed to mostly go away Monday . I took 2 more Tylenol PMs after 11 PM last night , 2 tablets of 500 MGs again , and I noticed the dry mouth came on quickly . Its now after 8 am Tuesday morning and I still have the dry mouth .Does it take some time for this to wear off to get rid of the dry mouth ? BTW its dry mouth and throat and my lips are dry too. I took this Sunday and Monday night and that's all . I have taken this before but not in a long time and I don't think I have had dry mouth happen in the past from this product. One thing I just noticed is my tongue doesn't feel so numb now and I ate part of a banana and I could taste it .

Last edited by senecaman; 05-12-2020 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 08:47 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
The "PM" part of Tylenol PM is the antihistamine also known as Benadryl. While antihistamines may make you drowsy and thus help you sleep, they also have the very common side effect of dry mouth, and dry other things, such as constipation.

Also, you want to be careful about taking large doses of Tylenol, as it can be harmful to your liver.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
The "PM" part of Tylenol PM is the antihistamine also known as Benadryl. While antihistamines may make you drowsy and thus help you sleep, they also have the very common side effect of dry mouth, and dry other things, such as constipation.

Also, you want to be careful about taking large doses of Tylenol, as it can be harmful to your liver.
Any reason why the dry mouth wont wear off? Its more than just dry mouth .Its your mouth , throat and lips. I dont plan to take Tylenol anymore.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:02 PM

Anything anyone can tell me as far as how long this will last? I took Tylenol PM on 2 nights and I am done .

Old 05-12-2020, 01:09 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Anything anyone can tell me as far as how long this will last? I took Tylenol PM on 2 nights and I am done .
Well, some antihistamines can take 24 hours to get fully metabolized. If you took a dose late Monday night 24 hours hasn't even passed yet! It is only Tuesday morning.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, it could be that you just happen to be somewhat dehydrated for other reasons. Coincidence. Not drinking as much, dry weather, low humidity in your house, etc. Worth a thought anyway.
No its the drug .No doubts about it. It was horrible this morning and maybe its wearing off slowly but its hard to say .

Old 05-12-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well, some antihistamines can take 24 hours to get fully metabolized. If you took a dose late Monday night 24 hours hasn't even passed yet! It is only Tuesday morning.
Thank you for telling me that info . It is the afternoon now here .its getting close to 3:30 PM .So by 12 tonight would you expect it to be gone or feel better ? So far its hard for me to say how much it has worn off since between roughly Midnight last night and 3:30 PM today. And thank you for the response.

Last edited by senecaman; 05-12-2020 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 01:28 PM

I read something about Tylenol crossing the brain -blood barrier and the antihistamine binding to and blocking receptors that produce saliva .Sounds ominous .But binding isn't isn't destroying tissue as if you had radiation therapy on your throat area so I hope its just a process that will reverse .

Last edited by senecaman; 05-12-2020 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 02:16 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I read something about Tylenol crossing the brain -blood barrier and the antihistamine binding to and blocking receptors that produce saliva .Sounds ominous .But binding isn't isn't destroying tissue as if you had radiation therapy on your throat area so I hope its just a process that will reverse .
If you search hard enough you can find negative consequences tied to just about anything you swallow. If you take high doses of Tylenol PM every day for weeks maybe there would be a long term or permanent effect. Two doses? Hardly.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
If you search hard enough you can find negative consequences tied to just about anything you swallow. If you take high doses of Tylenol PM every day for weeks maybe there would be a long term or permanent effect. Two doses? Hardly.
Its a long story but this is on top of some other very stressful things going on .Its was the anxiety from some other events going on with me that made it hard to sleep which was why I took the Tylenol PM . Right now my nerves are raw and I just hope this thing with my mouth and throat wears off. I have hardly slept at all the last day and its hard to tell right now if the drug is wearing off .

Last edited by senecaman; 05-12-2020 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness