Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 11:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,159,560 times

Advertisements

OP, I don't know your age but Medicare approves 2 appointments a year, 1 is just a yearly "look" at bloodwork, and the other is a regular physical exam. Both are done along with labs. I once asked why I was having this done twice a year and she said because I was on a medicine and Medicare approved it. Of course, they will order stuff as often as they can, as long as someone will pay for it! My dr. did tell me I didn't need to fast any more, they had determined that didn't change lab values much. I disagreed with that and continued to fast before my tests. Try eating a bit less animal protein and see if that affects your numbers. I have a friend who did that and his numbers are fine now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 07:59 AM

7,117 posts, read 4,953,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
....Medicare approved it. Of course, they will order stuff as often as they can, as long as someone will pay for it....
Translation: "I can get paid for it and it also helps in legal defense when you sue me if I've done it more frequently."

Once a yr routine blood work is good enough for screening. Some conditions require more frequent, specific testing: BS in DM, BUN/Cr in renal failure, LFT in liver failure, blood counts in anemia or certain treatments for ca etc, 'lytes when using diuretics-- frequency depending on troubles they've caused in a given pt.

BS & triglyceride levels are the only two tests that are significantly affected by the fasting vs fed state before the blood draw (and we can argue that a 2hrpp test is better for BS screening).

Re: dehydration, drinking water & BUN levels-- we lose ~1.5L of water /day in urine, sweat, breathing, BMs. (More when exercising/working & sweating.)...Obviously, it needs to be replaced on a daily basis. Animals & plants (ie-food) are about 70% water on average, so we can get almost all the water we need just by eating.

A given pt will have a slightly higher BUN when relatively dehydrated compered to his level when well hydrated---so, unless you have his baseline, well hydrated level on file for comparison, a single, isolated test is meaningless.---More importantly, if your doc needs a BUN test to see if you're dehydrated when you appear in the ER with dry tongue, wrinkled skin and a history of diarrhea and vomiting for 2 days, maybe you should get a new doc (better-- an old doc).

Old 05-14-2020, 08:12 AM

17 posts, read 10,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Look, you told us that you KNEW that you were required to fast when you admitted that you hadn't done so. Don't try pulling a line of BS, we're not all stupid here.
we're not all stupid here NO, only you are!!! I do not tolerate ANYONE making false assumptions that I am "hiding" something it not being truthful in my comments, PERIOD! An I am not "caught" in anything jerk! Please refrain from further commenting on this thread!

Last edited by Snoopy50; 05-14-2020 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-14-2020, 08:20 AM

17 posts, read 10,189 times
Thanks to everyone except one who has posted with intelligent and respectful information. I have studied your info and at least I feel better about the numbers. I will try to drink more water daily and have my Doc retest in a month or so once I feel my water intake has increased. I am 6'-3" and weight 292. So, I know my weight needs to come down and that is the hard part for me. There are too many foods that I enjoy that are not indicative of a healthy diet. I feel I have quite a few changes that must be made for my health now.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy50 View Post
Thanks to everyone except one who has posted with intelligent and respectful information. I have studied your info and at least I feel better about the numbers. I will try to drink more water daily and have my Doc retest in a month or so once I feel my water intake has increased. I am 6'-3" and weight 292. So, I know my weight needs to come down and that is the hard part for me. There are too many foods that I enjoy that are not indicative of a healthy diet. I feel I have quite a few changes that must be made for my health now.
Best of luck to you man lifestyle changes are hard but worth the effort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness