Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 02:41 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

I've been dealing with Chronic Bronchitis since 2013 but usually recieve large lapses where I go without symptoms. Before recently I've been able to hold an Albuterol inhaler for about a year before needing a new inhaler to give an idea of how rare I normally have to deal with it. In the beginning of this year though (January) that changed.

I live in Austin TX and we had a very high Cedar pollen count in January of which I'm allergic to and had a very bad allergic reaction, to the point where my bronchitis was flared and I was constantly using my inhaler and depleted it. I was taking up to 4 zyrtec pills per day and it did NOTHING. Allegra, Claratin and now even benadryl also have no effect on me. It came to a point where I literally could not breathe without it and had to go to a doctor who prescribed me a 10 count 20mg Prednisone and 250mg Azithromycin as well as another inhaler.

Right after I got my meds, I actually got sick. I incurred fever, sneezing and it lasted about a week. Basically it was like having the Flu and Bronchitis at the same time.

For the short time I was on the meds my symptoms dramatically improved but I noticed my lingering cough NEVER went away and my bronchial passages still seem to swell occasionally, as often as 3 times a day and I have to puff or it gets difficult to breath or talk. That inhaler lasted me from January until May so I'm using an inhaler in less than half of the time I can normally get by on one.

I dont think it was Covid-19 because my elders were with me at the time and although one of them did get sick, it was nothing compared to the horror stories I'm hearing elders having to be put on ventilators, they recovered within a few days.

Fast forward to today, as time goes on my symptoms are getting worse again and it comes to a point where even my inhaler , while making it easier to breath, is not removing a lingering cough that will not go away. I recently just had an episode and am back on the same prescriptions I mentioned above and the prescriptions seem to be helping, what I notice also helps is alot of sleep but after mid day or if I get tired I will start coughing and cant stop.

Another problem is, I cant jog either. When I do my lungs just fill with mucus and it becomes impossible to breathe even with my inhaler and it takes about an hour to recover from the shortness of breath and wheezing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 04:04 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
You probably need to ask your doctor for a daily control inhaler like pulmicort or Flovent. Have you tried the nasal sprays like Flonase or rhinocort? Those are over the counter now.

If you have had issues since 2013, it might be time to consider allergy shots.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:30 AM

14,315 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I dont think it was Covid-19 because my elders were with me at the time and although one of them did get sick, it was nothing compared to the horror stories I'm hearing elders having to be put on ventilators, they recovered within a few days.
This means nothing. The vast majority of elderly recover from Covid without being severely ill or needing a ventilator. We just heard of an 86-year-old relative in Brazil who had it in February along with the rest of her household. They all recovered without hospitalization. If I were you, I'd consider getting a test done.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
https://www.austinallergist.com/

I go to their San Antonio office, they've been a huge help with my allergies and breathing issues.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:26 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
https://www.austinallergist.com/

I go to their San Antonio office, they've been a huge help with my allergies and breathing issues.
I will take a look into this. Were they able to treat Cedar Pollen allergies?

For the time being, I ended up taking elderberry (someone recommended it to me) and all my bronchial symptoms, as well as my cough went away. Im able to breath normally and havent had an allergy attack yet either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness