Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 06:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,183,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I have a friend who is a nurse who was sick in January....took a week off and got written up for it! another friend says her daughter who is a sheriff's deputy was also sick in january as were several people in her department.

I would be stunned if they were wrong. I think MANY people had it without realizing it/thought it was just a cold or flu bug. I hope I'm right because that means more of us have immunities than previously thought.
Almost certainly not the case regarding immunity and most likely your friends didn't have COVID either...

Antibody testing is showing very little penetration which is what should happen with all the shut downs and social distancing...

New Hampshire is doing more antibody testing...

"The state has been testing about 600 Granite Staters per day for antibodies to the coronavirus, which can indicate that a person was previously infected. About 3-4% of antibody tests have come back positive."
https://www.wmur.com/article/less-th...d-19/32586383#

Less than 4% positive, all the other results I have seen have been similar 1-5% with the exception of hotspots like NYC where it is around 20%....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 07:44 PM

2,514 posts, read 2,736,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I am pretty sure I had it. I live in Chicago and use the train, specifically the train that goes from our international airport to downtown. Everyday on that train we are packed like sardines, with people who just arrived from the airport. Then in downtown, I'm in a building with hundreds of people touching the same elevator button that I do to get to my office.

But that is not reason alone. Back at the end of February, I got home from work, and had a very mild fever and got the sweats. It felt like my throat was swelling up, and then all of a sudden I had horrible diarrhea like really bad. The thing is that day I didn't eat anything that would have upset my stomach that bad. But the diarrhea was one of the worst and I was feeling feverish.

I went to bed and thankfully next morning it was all gone. The diarrhea, mild fever, and swollen throat were completely gone. I think my body was able to get rid of the virus swiftly and quickly. Normally my immune system is impeccable. I haven't had a cold in more than 2 years, and the last time I had the flu I think it was like a decade ago. I am lucky to come from a family that immune systems are super strong. Everyone dies in their 90s in my family, and even at that age they have zero health problems for the most part, they die because of things like falling down the stairs or just die in their sleep all of a sudden. But illness in my family (again both sides) is very rare.

I think my body was able to get rid of it quickly, that and I am young too (34). I am planning on getting the antibody test soon.
OMG. So I'm not the only one who had the GI issues. You are very lucky that it passed so quickly. I'm double your age (plus 5) and I also have a genetically defective immune system which means everything hits me harder than everyone else. It was a very long three weeks! I had throat issues such as you described, too, but it wasn't like an allergic reaction. It was more like I was choking on nothing . . . I'd just suddenly feel a choking sensation and have trouble even swallowing saliva.

Thank you for posting this. At least i know someone else had something similar. I'm in Northern California so no geographic connection there, except for travelers.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,539,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I ask because I've heard a couple of people say that looking back on it.....they think they might have had it back in early-to-mid February, and even back into January?

They definitely think the virus was in the U.S. before the time we've been told so far.
My mom thinks she had it in late January.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:02 AM

21,911 posts, read 19,049,706 times
mid February, sick in bed and could not go to work for a week, and then another 3-4 weeks to get full strength back, felt weak and tired during that time. And I am someone who does not get sick. Have not gotten the flu in over 30 years. I had gone to a 3-day seminar with 100+ people from around the country sitting close together and interacting. That is where I caught it (was getting sick by the third day).

I think I had it then.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,031,170 times
I think I had it in early February, despite that my antibody test was negative last week.

Reason being, is that I have a genetic issue that causes me to lose antibodies quickly. I lose all antibodies from the MMR in about two weeks (have been tested 4 times after 4 MMRs). My youngest son (16) has zero antibodies from any of his childhood immunizations, despite that he was fully vaccinated. Yet we don't get sick again. We are functioning on the innate or cellular immunity pathway, versus antibody (adaptive) pathway.

About 10% of the population may carry this variant, so others may have this experience as well.

Not to mention that covid patients declared recovered are becoming reinfected. The virus itself may not be antibody dependent.

Oldest daughter (23) came home sick from Italy on January 11th. All 18 members of her travel group either were sick or became sick after return. One girl had been hospitalized in Italy for fever & difficulty breathing. Flu was ruled out. They flew home via NY & on to DIA.

I saw her on Jan 16 with my dad (79) for breakfast. Dad was sick within days with a fever & cough that lasted about a week. My youngest son was sick by Jan 28 & then me, during the first week of February. Same symptoms.

Two weeks later in mid February, Dad collapsed at the gym & was hospitalized. All's they could find was a strange tachycardia episode. He was released & has been fine since. Testing was not done.

Too many consistencies with what has been reported for this to be a coincidence. I can only assume we have had but because of our genes we will not show antibodies. And I'm confident others will have this same issue.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:46 AM

14,210 posts, read 11,487,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Not to mention that covid patients declared recovered are becoming reinfected. The virus itself may not be antibody dependent.
I think we're all happy that new research shows this is apparently not the case.

Quote:
A second positive test after a negative result may mean the virus is simply taking its time leaving the body, doctors said, and is no longer able to infect others.

"What we're finding more and more is that the fragments of virus that are being picked up on these swabs weeks later are not able to replicate," said Dr. Ania Wajnberg, associate director of medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City. "They're not live virus."
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...mmune-response

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-does-n1210361

Old 05-20-2020, 12:22 PM

37,463 posts, read 45,679,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I ask because I've heard a couple of people say that looking back on it.....they think they might have had it back in early-to-mid February, and even back into January?

They definitely think the virus was in the U.S. before the time we've been told so far.
Absolutely.

I already know of a nurse that had it in January. She just got an antibody test that confirmed that she had 4 times the normal amount of antibodies. She is donating plasma.

Lots of states doing testing now on earlier illnesses to see if they were actually the coronavirus. Nevada has already found 2.

https://www.ktnv.com/13-investigates...-investigation

Old 05-20-2020, 07:55 PM

455 posts, read 663,661 times
I flew in and out of NYC first week of February. Walked all around town. 2 days after I got back, had incredible fatigue that lasted for almost 3 weeks. Had a strange tightness in my throat and a cough. Lost sense of taste. Was a very strange "cold" especially because of the fatigue. Even a friend commented on how sick I was because it's not usually the case.
Thinking about getting an antibody test even though I know it's not very useful right now. Just curious I guess.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:00 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,746,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I think my body was able to get rid of the virus swiftly and quickly. Normally my immune system is impeccable. I haven't had a cold in more than 2 years, and the last time I had the flu I think it was like a decade ago. I am lucky to come from a family that immune systems are super strong.

Have a strong immune system isn't necessary a good thing, the worse symptoms from the common cold is the body over reacting to the virus. I think a lot of how sick you get from the COVID-19 virus is luck. Think of it like a foot ball game, your immune system could try for a defensive tackle, get an interception and end the viruses game quickly. Or virus could execute a shotgun formation, get the ball into the end zone and Touchdown! How your body reacts to the virus largely dictates how sick you will get, in what way and whether you even survive it. I've read stories of people with very strong immune systems almost dying from the virus. If it truly kills only the old and weak, then a healthily person with no underlying health conditions should have no issues surviving when they get it. While statically 80% of those who died from the COVID-19 virus were over 65, that's still 20% of the younger healthier victims it still killed.

Source: https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisiona...nd-S/9bhg-hcku

Last edited by TechGromit; 05-22-2020 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 06:29 PM

7,210 posts, read 4,482,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie90 View Post
My mom thinks she had it in late January.
I thought I had it in early January. Then I read about a woman in Seattle who had what I did ON THE DAY I had it, and tested positive for antibodies.

Unfortunately, I tested negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness