Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I've read stories of people with very strong immune systems almost dying from the virus. If it truly kills only the old and weak, then a healthily person with no underlying health conditions should have no issues surviving when they get it. While statically 80% of those who died from the COVID-19 virus were over 65, that's still 20% of the younger healthier victims it still killed.

Source: https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisiona...nd-S/9bhg-hcku
Generally true, but the one part that cannot be accurate is that the younger victims were healthy. All the indications are that most of the younger victims also had underlying health conditions. (Obesity counts as a health condition; I have absolutely seen obese Covid victims nevertheless called "healthy" by the media).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Generally true, but the one part that cannot be accurate is that the younger victims were healthy. All the indications are that most of the younger victims also had underlying health conditions. (Obesity counts as a health condition; I have absolutely seen obese Covid victims nevertheless called "healthy" by the media).
On what basis are you disputing the FACT that young, healthy people HAVE died from COVID 19?

The overwhelming majority of deaths have been in older, sicker individuals but there have absolutely been deaths of young HEALTHY individuals from COVID

Whether you choose to believe this or not base on random observations of a tiny fraction of victims does not change the FACTS...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/healt...pta/index.html

Old 05-23-2020, 10:19 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Yes early on they scared a lot of people with stories of an african american woman who died at the age of 38. Until they showed a photo. She was 300 lbs (very likely diabetic) and being african american was likely vitamin D deficient.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
On what basis are you disputing the FACT that young, healthy people HAVE died from COVID 19?

The overwhelming majority of deaths have been in older, sicker individuals but there have absolutely been deaths of young HEALTHY individuals from COVID

Whether you choose to believe this or not base on random observations of a tiny fraction of victims does not change the FACTS...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/healt...pta/index.html
I'm sorry, you misunderstood me. I was responding to the statement, "While statistically 80% of those who died from the COVID-19 virus were over 65, that's still 20% of the younger healthier victims it still killed."

It cannot be accurate that ALL the younger victims were healthy. It cannot be accurate because I have seen and I'm sure you have also seen many reports of younger people who died in which their underlying medical conditions were mentioned and even stressed.

I'm not disputing that some young healthy people have died. Just not all of them by any means, not all of the 20% of victims who were under 65. While we don't have statistics, it's very possible that nearly all of the younger victims were not "healthy" by typical standards.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
It's all about your health metrics then age factor. There are people who are over 90 yrs old and beat COVID because they don't have the negative health metrics. When the virus invades your body, it's the immune system response that causes people to live or die. Many overweight people just don't have the bandwidth capable of sustaining a major inflammatory effect to the body.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, you misunderstood me. I was responding to the statement, "While statistically 80% of those who died from the COVID-19 virus were over 65, that's still 20% of the younger healthier victims it still killed."

It cannot be accurate that ALL the younger victims were healthy. It cannot be accurate because I have seen and I'm sure you have also seen many reports of younger people who died in which their underlying medical conditions were mentioned and even stressed.

I'm not disputing that some young healthy people have died. Just not all of them by any means, not all of the 20% of victims who were under 65. While we don't have statistics, it's very possible that nearly all of the younger victims were not "healthy" by typical standards.
Fair enough, I think it is likely many of the younger folks who have died of COVID did have some health issues, we just don't know how many

It could be 90% of them....it could be 40% of them or less....we don't have that data

Old 05-23-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's all about your health metrics then age factor. There are people who are over 90 yrs old and beat COVID because they don't have the negative health metrics. When the virus invades your body, it's the immune system response that causes people to live or die. Many overweight people just don't have the bandwidth capable of sustaining a major inflammatory effect to the body.
And in some cases it is a very other wise healthy immune system that results in a cytokine storm and subsequent death...

Of course it makes sense that living healthy, exercising, eating right, keeping weight down, not smoking etc will give you a very good chance of beating this illness if you catch it

BUT

There is still a randomness factor where you can do all of the above, be young, fit and healthy and still die from COVID 19....

Yes odds are in your favor if you are healthy but no one is bullet proof when it comes to this virus...

Old 05-23-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Yes odds are in your favor if you are healthy but no one is bullet proof when it comes to this virus...
Or any other virus. Early this year, a 5-year-old in my friend circle died of flu.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:34 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
I think we're all happy that new research shows this is apparently not the case.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...mmune-response

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-does-n1210361
Yes I have seen that too. There have also been recent reports that people who might be 're-infected' themselves, at least cannot spread the virus. Uncharted territory this COVID is. It will be interesting to see what we know a year from now.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:51 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
And in some cases it is a very other wise healthy immune system that results in a cytokine storm and subsequent death...

Of course it makes sense that living healthy, exercising, eating right, keeping weight down, not smoking etc will give you a very good chance of beating this illness if you catch it

BUT

There is still a randomness factor where you can do all of the above, be young, fit and healthy and still die from COVID 19....

I have read a lot regarding the cytokine storms. Initially, young people with 'developmental disabilities' were declared to be high risk from COVID but I am not sure if that is because some people with DD have a lot of co-morbidity factors, or if it is due to the immune-mediation involved with some DD's; such as autism.

I guess it was just something noticed in the epidemiology, there hadn't been enough time for any other research yet.

Because of my autistic son's genetic issue that causes a lack of antibody development (or maybe retention), he is under the care of an Immunologist & takes a 'cocktail' of Ketotifen & low-dose Acyclovir & Azithromycin. I'm thinking that this may make him more susceptible to catching COVID but less susceptible to developing a cytokine storm from COVID. Again, nobody really knows yet, just speculating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness