Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 09:58 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,453,804 times

Advertisements

I've gained weight. I always eat pretty clean and healthy, and still do. We rarely ate out before all of this, so my diet hasn't really changed. But my activity level has really gone down. Even with daily workouts, I'm still not as active. And even though I am still eating clean and healthy, I'm eating a lot more - I think just because I'm bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 10:00 AM

10,919 posts, read 7,443,183 times
I've gained a few pounds from eating comfort food, but my exercise levels are almost the same; I walk or do yard chores in the evening. Shopping used to give me more exercise. I do miss shopping.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:15 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,410,262 times
I'm in the "gained" camp. According to the scale it's only a few pounds (<5 pounds; fluctuates) but overall feel worse. Body is softer too. I used to play 3-4 hours of singles tennis a week (1 hour sessions before work) and that has totally stopped. I hate in-home exercise, so I've decided to just wait it out.

It's made me realize that while I'm mostly independent, I do rely on the one sport that I enjoy for staying in shape.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:33 PM

23,404 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Nope.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:46 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,591,946 times
Weight is stable. I have been baking more and eating more bread and sweets but also exercising more so it‘s balancing out. I’ll take it.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:57 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,309,910 times
I'm not sleeping well. I've been excercising more and am losing weight. I'm down around 7 pounds. The daily drudge of cooking is getting to me. The kids want me to cook more, but they don't want to eat what I cook. I'm baking lots of bread.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,543,677 times
Snacks, snacks and more snacks. My routine is now to come home from work, shower, sit on couch with cozy comforter, watch YouTube....and eat. I think i've gained 15 lbs. I've gone up a size, and that size is tight around the waist, for sure.

I've tried the at home workouts, walking, etc but I just don't want to keep up with it. I take full responsibility for that. I know it's not good but it's more comforting right now for me to sit and snack. I've fallen into the abyss and can't get out for now. My best motivation is going to the gym. I enjoy lifting weights and staying inspired by being surrounded by all the other members working out. I hope it opens soon!!

Old 05-20-2020, 04:06 PM

13,676 posts, read 9,756,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I've tried the at home workouts, walking, etc but I just don't want to keep up with it. I take full responsibility for that. I know it's not good but it's more comforting right now for me to sit and snack. I've fallen into the abyss and can't get out for now. My best motivation is going to the gym. I enjoy lifting weights and staying inspired by being surrounded by all the other members working out. I hope it opens soon!!
Attitude aside, resources matter too. Even with the most indomitable motivation, it's hard to do bench press, curls or tricep extensions in an apartment with a bare floor/couch/desk. Sure, we can run outside, and do pushups on the floor. Much better than nothing. But there's no replacement for a rack of dumbbells, or a stack of 45s waiting to be affixed onto an Olympic bar.

The average fitness-buff might be able to readily adapt. But what about elite athletes? What happens to the college-kids on athletic scholarship? What happens to competitive powerlifters, to folks training for marquee competitions? Close the gym, and you take away the basic essence of what they do.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
Among my very close friends and very close relatives here is the list (during the approximately eight to nine week safer at home time) of what they have mentioned to me.

1 lost about 15 pounds (he used to work at one of those places that had free lunches and free snacks and is eating a lot less and exercising a lot more now).
1 lost about 5 pounds (she used to eat a lot more restaurant meals & snacks and is now exercising a lot more)
4 stayed about the same
2 gained about 5 pounds
1 gained about 10 pounds
1 gained about 18 pounds.

These are all people that i talk with on a regular basis, but I suspect that not everyone is being honest. My one friend who claims that she is about the same weight is making cookies, pies, cakes and fresh bread & rolls a lot more often and seems to be running errands and taking walks a lot less. Hmmm.

I have gained a lot of weight but no one knows the actual amount as I am too embarrassed to tell anyone.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:32 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
With so many of us staying home and maybe cooking a lot more and eating out a lot less, was wondering if your health/weight has changed very much?

How are you doing?
I gained 9 lbs and nearing the 1 meter waist mark. I am eating lesser than usual but much of it is due to irregular sleep patterns. Sometimes I am up until 5 or 6 am and have sleep as little as 4-5 hrs a day which is unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness