Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 10:49 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Health in all respects has considerably declined.

First, I have been relying for 30 years on "institutional" gyms (mostly at military bases or universities). These have closed. My primary form of fitness is weight lifting, and this is impossible in home-conditions. For a while I could find makeshift chin-up bars, such as public parks or construction-scaffolding. These opportunities have largely waned. The only recourse is push-ups, which I do throughout the day. But they don't offer much for biceps or other important muscle groups.

Second, I have been relying on what might be termed low-end sit-down dining, such as a $7 Chinese lunch or a $5 gyro. These opportunities have been greatly curtailed, as many dining-establishments have closed, even for take-out. That has thrown me onto my own devices for cooking - a most regrettable scenario, causing me to binge-eat on items that are already prepared, or otherwise easy to cook. My consumption of meat - on which I normally rely - has fallen sharply, except for ham or other deli-items, or things that can be boiled in a pot (dumplings or shrimp).

Third, the stress has taken a grievous mental toll. My sleeping is horrid - I've gone from a solid 7-8 hours/night, to maybe 4 hours.

The result has been significant weight gain, general feeling of lethargy (coupled with anxiety and dread), and complete feeling of helplessness. My frustration is far more with the response to the virus, than with the virus itself.
I can relate. No lifting, just walking and eating at home. I’ve lost about 20 lbs. some fat and certainly some muscle. What’s surprising is I eat a big bowl,of ice cream or giant slice of apple pie every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 11:26 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
With so many of us staying home and maybe cooking a lot more and eating out a lot less, was wondering if your health/weight has changed very much?

How are you doing?

Yep, since I am not working I get very little exercise, take a lot of naps, and snack more now. So, I have gained a few pounds and notice my knees are a lot more stiff than when I was working .

Old 05-21-2020, 12:50 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I've lost 5-10 pounds - nothing significant. That's largely come from not being in the office all day and not eating out of as often.

My strength didn't drop off much, but muscular endurance definitely has. I might have been doing X weight at 10 reps and am now doing 7 or 8 at the same weight. I can still get close to the same 1RM, but the reps are down.

I've probably been walking and getting more simple exercise like that, weather permitting, than I had been. There hasn't been a lot to do.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:39 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
My weight has stayed the same. I wanted to lose about ten pounds that I put on over the holidays, but that hasn't happened. I think because I've been so stressed from everything virus related that I just can't do the longer fasts that I used to, so I'm eating two regular meals a day, no breakfast. I am at a healthy weight so it's not bothering me, but I had hoped to lose these ten pounds by summer and now that is looking unlikely.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:42 PM

7,128 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Health in all respects has considerably declined.

First, I have been relying for 30 years on "institutional" gyms (mostly at military bases or universities). These have closed. My primary form of fitness is weight lifting, and this is impossible in home-conditions. For a while I could find makeshift chin-up bars, such as public parks or construction-scaffolding. These opportunities have largely waned. The only recourse is push-ups, which I do throughout the day. But they don't offer much for biceps or other important muscle groups.

Second, I have been relying on what might be termed low-end sit-down dining, such as a $7 Chinese lunch or a $5 gyro. These opportunities have been greatly curtailed, as many dining-establishments have closed, even for take-out. That has thrown me onto my own devices for cooking - a most regrettable scenario, causing me to binge-eat on items that are already prepared, or otherwise easy to cook. My consumption of meat - on which I normally rely - has fallen sharply, except for ham or other deli-items, or things that can be boiled in a pot (dumplings or shrimp).

Third, the stress has taken a grievous mental toll. My sleeping is horrid - I've gone from a solid 7-8 hours/night, to maybe 4 hours.

The result has been significant weight gain, general feeling of lethargy (coupled with anxiety and dread), and complete feeling of helplessness. My frustration is far more with the response to the virus, than with the virus itself.
Yikes! Sorry to her this. Do you have any solutions to the need for exercise and healthier eating...??

Sounds as though you know what's causing the issues/insomnia--but solutions??

First thought was TV or internet exercise programs that don't involve any equipment except your participation/movement...

Old 05-21-2020, 01:43 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I knew in March I had my winter pouch.
So it decided to inflate by 17 lbs. So I'm now regrouping ...and working at a slower pace to regain my workout regimen. My diet went to a major change over. More veggies...rarely do carbs . Still in these two weeks that I've encouraged mindfully eating and daily excercise, I lost 1 pound. May not be anything to cheer about. Yet cheer I do. Anytime I can reduce weight and build strength I'm going to cheer. I seriously think my building muscle is playing battle with my pouch.
Next week I start back to work. I'll have private privilege to use the weights there.
Everytime I pinch my hips I say no to any temptation to go off script in my health schedule.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:45 PM

962 posts, read 612,971 times
In best physical condition of my life. Back to high school weight.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:32 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,053,265 times
i gained a few pounds during April since eating was my only "hobby" when the quarantine first started. But now things have normalized and I lost that weight back.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:48 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yikes! Sorry to her this. Do you have any solutions to the need for exercise and healthier eating...??

Sounds as though you know what's causing the issues/insomnia--but solutions??

First thought was TV or internet exercise programs that don't involve any equipment except your participation/movement...
There are assuredly solutions for healthier eating. Mostly that involves (1) learning how to cook, and (2) mustering the resources for better storage and preparation of food.

Much harder is replacing a half-dozen plates and a bar. In my various walks I've been eyeing the local construction sites, trying to see if they might have scaffolding, concrete-forms, structural steel or other heavy objects that I could employ as makeshift weights. Yeah, that's probably trespassing, but in this case I'm starting to get desperate. A few weeks ago, there were renovations at the local condo complex. Workers had left scaffolding erected overnight. Jackpot! Pumped out sets of pull-ups. The next evening unfortunately the scaffolding was gone.

At the moment the only viable option is to relocate to a state that doesn't have so stringent of a shutdown, where gyms are open. Or at the very least, to take a "workout vacation"... arrange for a temporary gym membership, fly-in (is that still possible?), check into a hotel, spend the night, spend the next day all-day working out, then fly back.

Last week I was on the road, for unrelated matters. Stopped in a hotel in a state where the governor had already decreed that gyms could open up. But the hotel gym was still closed. I politely asked management, but they replied that their hotel gym remains closed until further notice, because they lack the proper sanitizing equipment. I offered to buy the equipment for them, to spend an hour (or however long it takes) personally wiping all of the equipment, and to sign any release-form or waver or whatever, indemnifying them. The result was a smile and a very polite but firm "no".

The result, as in so many cases in modern life, is "Suck it up, Buttercup!"

Old 05-21-2020, 03:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Working from home I still try to maintain the same schedule. I make my lunch the night before as if I were taking it to the office, and have breakfast before I log onto my laptop.
Then it's just a matter of avoiding extra snacking, but I usually only do that if bored on a rainy weekend day. My work keeps me pretty busy, though just before quitting time (right now, I'm off at 3pm) I may slack off rather than start something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness