Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 06:14 PM

13,264 posts, read 8,359,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh please. I know you're referring to me, and it's very clever to pretend that you don't know the way in which the word "disinfected" is being used in this and other current threads, but just cut it out. Washing one's body, clothes, or dishes with soap is not considered disinfecting. When people here speak of disinfecting, they are talking about using Lysol, bleach, disinfectant wipes, and other products specifically intended for disinfecting (not merely washing or cleaning).

No, I don't own Lysol, disinfectant wipes, or hand sanitizer. I have bleach, but use it only on white laundry once in a great while. That doesn't mean I don't brush my teeth.
Glad you have manners to say please. And I shall kindly say, no thank you to your excuse. I worked medical and when a person is infected ....they use methods ascibed as disinfecting the wound to heal the skin. I don't limit terminology , it's utilized in many facets.
I find that utilizing effective methods to lower the risk of contraction is in part thru disinfecting .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 08:34 PM

522 posts, read 337,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
i live alone, though my spouse currently resides in the guest house.
lol

Old 05-23-2020, 09:31 PM

14,216 posts, read 11,504,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Glad you have manners to say please. And I shall kindly say, no thank you to your excuse. I worked medical and when a person is infected ....they use methods ascribed as disinfecting the wound to heal the skin. I don't limit terminology , it's utilized in many facets.
I find that utilizing effective methods to lower the risk of contraction is in part thru disinfecting .
I have no idea what you are talking about. Of course, if you have a wound, you want to remove any germs that may be on the cut skin. Soap and water works pretty well, actually. When my daughter had a severe burn, the medical staff used Dove soap.

But what does that have to do with anything? If I had a wound, I would clean it thoroughly, but I wouldn't "disinfect" my healthy body by spraying it with Lysol or "disinfect" my cans of beans with Clorox wipes because I am afraid of catching a virus. That's what I was saying. I don't do that sort of thing. If you want to, feel free.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:09 AM

855 posts, read 620,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Y'all have noticed very cautious verbiage of that change in CDC statements about COVID? Surely, they can't jump straight from "it's the end of the world if you touch something" to "it's quite OK to do".
Hence, they have to gradually change their lie from before to the truth in the future. Reason being, about 2 months ago, one of the lead German virologists did massive check in a German city and found pretty much no proof to any transmission through commonly touched household object and pets. Neither did they find much of transmission via aerosol.
But that was just handful of interviews on German TV that were muffled by media organized hysteria. Thus, now to back out of that hysteria, it needs to be gradually stepped down or, entire media hype for the last months is bluntly shown as lie it was.

1. Contrary to original assumptions, various studies have shown that there is no evidence of the virus spreading through aerosols (i.e. tiny particles floating in the air) or through smear infections (e.g. on door handles or smartphones). The main modes of transmission are direct contact and droplets produced when coughing or sneezing.
  2. There is also no scientific evidence for the effectiveness of face masks in healthy or asymptomatic individuals. On the contrary, experts warn that such masks interfere with normal breathing and may become “germ carriers”. Leading doctors called them a “media hype” and “ridiculous”.
https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
Interesting read! Thank you for the link.
Kind of leaves me feeling like, "Well, well, well...."

-

Old 05-24-2020, 08:27 AM

29,656 posts, read 34,166,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the CDC has changed positions on two critical areas. This and wearing masks. Certainly doesn't elicit much confidence that they know what they are doing. And they are our experts.
This is how science works, though. This is a new virus. The more data comes in and the more information scientists can glean from it means that they can continually update the recommendations given to the public. It's not flip-flopping to learn new things and adjust accordingly based on the most recent data.

We're not still treating disease by bleeding the patient or treating mental illness with lobotomies because the medical profession learns as they go.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:38 AM

5,653 posts, read 4,187,415 times
Quote:

1. Contrary to original assumptions, various studies have shown that there is no evidence of the virus spreading through aerosols (i.e. tiny particles floating in the air) or through smear infections (e.g. on door handles or smartphones). The main modes of transmission are direct contact and droplets produced when coughing or sneezing.
Those articles are all 2 months old. Got anything fresher?

Quote:
  1. There is also no scientific evidence for the effectiveness of face masks in healthy or asymptomatic individuals. On the contrary, experts warn that such masks interfere with normal breathing and may become “germ carriers”. Leading doctors called them a “media hype” and “ridiculous”.
https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

The first article is not peer reviewed science, its political polemic in a rather generously termed "technical report" which would be better called "some dude's opinion". The present paper about masks illustrates the degree to which governments, the mainstream media, and institutional propagandists can decide to operate in a science vacuum, or select only incomplete science that serves their interests. Such recklessness is also certainly the case with the current global lockdown of over 1 billion people, an unprecedented experiment in medical and political history.

If that sounds scientific to you, you flunked science. He is correct that masks aren't terribly effective for protecting the wearer, but that isn't the reason for wearing them. The next two are in German, so whatever...The last one by an alleged Swiss doctor has no name associated with it so we don't know who it was written by. And even if its written by a Swiss doctor its never hard to find one opposing view and hold it up as evidence that "everyone else is wrong".

Old 05-24-2020, 11:03 AM

3,096 posts, read 2,036,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
CDC never said this coronavirus wasn’t airborne that is nonsense
How soon some either forget or have selective memory.

Both the CDC and the WHO said that the virus wasn't transmitted that way. They were adamant. For weeks many people believed (and argued) they were preventing infection by following CDC advice to wash hands, use hand sanitizer and avoid groups of more than 10. The virus was spreading and killing people because of this poor advice from CDC medical experts.

It wasn't until April 3 that the CDC finally changed its stance on airborne transmission and said, yeah, wearing masks in public will help slow the spread.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:17 PM

7,143 posts, read 4,990,910 times
Quote:
Hence, they have to gradually change their lie from before to the truth in the future.

... various studies have shown that there is no evidence
  1. There is also no scientific evidence for the effectiveness of face masks in healthy or asymptomatic individuals.
/

"It's not a lie if you don't think it's a lie," --George Costanza

It's not a lie to give advice based on the best available evidence, and then change the advice when new evidence appears.

Absence of proof is not proof of absence....Ethical concerns prevents Koch's Postulates from being followed to prove things with this human infection. Conclusions have been drawn & recommendations made concerning cleansing surfaces based on studies involving duration of viability of viruses on various surfaces....

.If you come upon some unknown clear fluid in an unmarked bottle, and you're thirsty...do you assume it's water and drink it immediately, or do you realize it could be poison and proceed cautiously?

Old 05-24-2020, 12:36 PM

5,653 posts, read 4,187,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
How soon some either forget or have selective memory.
And some just cherry pick the facts to suit their beliefs, or just don't understand what has been said.

Quote:
Both the CDC and the WHO said that the virus wasn't transmitted that way. They were adamant.
CDC advised that patients who were suspected of being infected with this new "pneumonia" be required to wear masks during treatment as early as January 8, and that their health care providers wear n95 masks. What does that suggest, hmmm?

Quote:
For weeks many people believed (and argued) they were preventing infection by following CDC advice to wash hands, use hand sanitizer and avoid groups of more than 10. The virus was spreading and killing people because of this poor advice from CDC medical experts.
It wasn't until April 3 that the CDC finally changed its stance on airborne transmission and said, yeah, wearing masks in public will help slow the spread.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...nsmission.html

CDC actively reviews our website to make sure the content is accessible and clear for all types of audiences. As a result of one such review, edits were made to the organization of the COVID-19 transmission page, including adding a headline in an attempt to clarify other types of spread beyond person to person. This change was intended to make it easier to read, and was not a result of any new science.
After media reports appeared that suggested a change in CDC’s view on transmissibility, it became clear that these edits were confusing. Therefore, we have once again edited the page to provide clarity.
The primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:50 PM

34,875 posts, read 30,967,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That said, with the warmer weather, people are driving around with their windows down. If, with the right conditions, the driver in front of you sneezes with their window down, could you catch it with your window down? I keep my windows up, air or heat on, and always use the recirculate! But I think we do not really understand everything about the transmission of this virus.

As far as wiping down: One minute we are told that it can live on copper pennies for up to four hours and now they don't think we have to worry. We touch input devices at checkout, our change, and our groceries that others have touched. I think it is still smart to not touch items we bring into the house for hours or days (if they do not have to be touched). Of course perishables still have to be wiped down and put away. But if you bring in a bottle of water or soda you could leave it for a day and play it safe(r)? Of course it is always wise to wash your hands and not touch your face until your hands are sanitized.
We don’t understand everything about it - not even close.

With that said, I’m going to take reasonable preCautions in Washing fresh veggies, etc., but I’m not going to leave a box of drinks in a garage for days waiting on them to become clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness