Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 10:00 AM

982 posts, read 608,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the CDC has changed positions on two critical areas. This and wearing masks. Certainly doesn't elicit much confidence that they know what they are doing. And they are our experts.
I have to agree with this! We cannot really trust what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 10:25 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I have to agree with this! We cannot really trust what they say.
Well, that puts the whammy on people who say "I won't go out again until they tell me it's safe!"

Old 05-22-2020, 10:44 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
My take on the revision is that the WH said they wouldn't accept their full recommendations, and when they went back to revise them they modified the language.

I don't think the facts have changed, but the CDC has been compromised by the WH and is now downplaying things to get in line with the WH wanting the economy to open up.

It's all political.

Still as infectious as ever and lives on surfaces as long as they initially said it did.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:20 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
I can't trust what the CDC is saying anymore so long as they are force to revise their position based on political meddling and interference.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:27 AM

127 posts, read 61,458 times
This is one of those learn as you go along type situations. The more they learn they more things change but I haven't wiped down groceries or wear a mask as much as I should, and I know better having contracted the Swine Flu during that last pandemic.

Even after everything dies down people need to keep up with the hand washing and continue to avoid sneezing and coughing everywhere. That's just a good practice, no matter what. Spraying your mucus and saliva everywhere even if there are no viruses or bacteria to transmit, is still very disgusting.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:04 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I live alone, though my spouse currently resides in the guest house.
What a well thought out arrangement, women the world over would be jealous!

I have and will continue to wipe down every single grocery store item that enters my home on the patio table with lysol. Hard skinned vegetables and fruits are washed with dish soap, it's good also because it removes pesticides. Soft fruit such as berries there is little to do but rinse very well with water, some pat dry, others just into the fridge they go.

It's the virus against YOU, against ME. It doesn't give a rat's patootie whether you voted for Trump or not, and there's no virus immunity for being a republican, so take your own risks.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:32 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have never disinfected any surface and I have never had disinfectant wipes, nor have I "quarantined" my groceries or mail or anything else. Common sense tells you that viruses need a live host and don't survive long on dry surfaces, nor is it possible to transmit a heavy viral load from a paper bag to your face. This is not new news. Obviously though if people find it comforting to reduce the risk of picking up a virus from a can of beans from 0.00002% to 0.00001% by spending time wiping everything down, they should carry on.
What does "common sense" have to do with science??

Based on "common sense" viruses shouldn't even exist...

Common sense doesn't trump science and it can be definitively be shown that viruses can and do survive on surfaces for variable amounts of time depending on the surface....

Old 05-22-2020, 03:40 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Viruses survive the best on smooth flat surfaces like glass in cooler conditions. Just like a virologist studying a virus would store the virus in a glass petri dish in refrigerated conditions in the dark without sunlight, our home refrigerators and glass containers like the outside surface of a jelly jar are actually optimal for virus survival, which is about 9 days in those conditions.
Likewise the glass container in a restaurant refrigerator that your server might handle. Something to keep in mind.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:52 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
I agree that the CDC flip flopping on masks, and now this, makes me distrust the CDC. You hear one thing and you believe it, then a month later it's the opposite, who do you trust anymore? I can't even. You can't trust the news, the CDC, The WHO, the scientists. There's no concenses and it's no surprise that people are turning on one another because no one knows who or what to believe. This whole mess is a big cluster IMO.

So what I will do is continue to wear my mask when I am in public because it makes sense to me to do so and it's really not that cumbersome. In fact more people stay away from me when I have my mask on, so that's a win/win.

I will continue to wipe down my groceries for the time being. If I see some trustworthy studies on the virus not being passed on items I will reevaluate my stance, for now it's a few extra minutes of my day, once every three weeks or so. It's not like I'm so busy I can't find the time.

As for everything else, I take it all in with skepticism, I research, I read, I try and find legitimate sources for information that I can trust. In the end it all comes down to trying to do the best I can to find the truth and apply it to my family. I do my homework. Everyone else has the opportunity to do their own homework, and come to their own conclusions.

This is one crazy time we're living in. History is being made. I hope my family can come out the other side of it unscathed, and I'm trying to do my best to help others during this time as well. I wish we could find unity in this, instead of division.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:06 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Oh no; spitting wars and just when we thought we no longer had to wipe!
My state has brought in a fine of $5,000 (about $US3,000) for spitting. Now I think of it, haven’t been any new reports for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness