U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,568,207 times

Advertisements

I guess for those of you who are terrified of restaurants it means that the rest of the more reasonable public won't have a hard time getting a table. Maybe some healthy eating habits might develop at home for the doomsday set, lowering BMIs and risk of all kinds of nasty health issues.

Personally the fewer pearl clutchers ans social distancing scolds i have to encounter the better. I would only ask that those of you who are choosing to stay in consider the economic costs to your friends, neighbors and communities as seriously as you do the health costs.

My grandmother would tell a story about relatives who refused to leave the house fir months after WW2 ended. It was all over the papers and the world was celebrating. Yet there were people who refused to believe it was over and that they could go about their merry lives. This reminds me of those stories. Some people choose panic, misery and fear over being a functional member of society. So be it. That's on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:24 AM

26,458 posts, read 17,072,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
This is a great link. Discusses eating at restaurants.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them

These are her credentials as she says:

"I am a Comparative Immunologist and Professor of Biology (specializing in Immunology) at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. I balance Teaching, Research and Public Service (that is, when we are allowed in our labs)."
Thanks for this link. It is great.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:20 AM

5,106 posts, read 3,401,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
To put this in some perspective, I live in a central Florida county of almost 700,000 population. There have been 891 positives and only 50 deaths, almost all from elderly in nursing homes. I feel pretty safe to go almost anywhere here. If, however, you are living in a "hot spot" you may want to exercise more precaution about eating out or anything else.
My county of 125,000 has had 127 positives and 3 deaths so far, 99.9% of our population has not gotten the virus despite loose restrictions and few wearing masks. So we have about the same rates.

I also feel safe going everywhere EXCEPT around my elderly friends with heart conditions.

Our restaurants just starting opening up for indoor eating at 50% capacity.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:43 AM

75,834 posts, read 88,700,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
To put this in some perspective, I live in a central Florida county of almost 700,000 population. There have been 891 positives and only 50 deaths, almost all from elderly in nursing homes. I feel pretty safe to go almost anywhere here. If, however, you are living in a "hot spot" you may want to exercise more precaution about eating out or anything else.
This does have to be a very personal thing; you are right: we have had few deaths as well: most of our friends are going about their lives as normally as possible, but using good sense and most of our family, throughout the country are doing the same, but our daughter, who lives in Windermere, Fl is still very hyper about all this. She doesn't even want to think of us as we are older, going to church. She still thinks we should only go out for Doctors appointments and should expect our other daughter to be the only guest in our house except for our granddaughter. I guess we all have to do what is best for each of us. For us, it is socializing some with friends and yes, enjoying a meal at our favorite restaurant once in awhile.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:53 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,041,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I guess for those of you who are terrified of restaurants it means that the rest of the more reasonable public won't have a hard time getting a table. Maybe some healthy eating habits might develop at home for the doomsday set, lowering BMIs and risk of all kinds of nasty health issues.

Personally the fewer pearl clutchers ans social distancing scolds i have to encounter the better. I would only ask that those of you who are choosing to stay in consider the economic costs to your friends, neighbors and communities as seriously as you do the health costs.

My grandmother would tell a story about relatives who refused to leave the house fir months after WW2 ended. It was all over the papers and the world was celebrating. Yet there were people who refused to believe it was over and that they could go about their merry lives. This reminds me of those stories. Some people choose panic, misery and fear over being a functional member of society. So be it. That's on you.
Fear impairs logical thinking and problem-solving skills. Logic means nothing to people who operate on emotions like fear. Long-term fear can also shrink the brain. That is where we are as a country.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 05-27-2020 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 11:25 AM

8,022 posts, read 3,225,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Until there's a vaccine it will never be safe to go out to eat.

The employees working there could be sick.

The patrons there could be sick.

The food delivery guys could be sick.

Even take out is not safe because of reasons listed, not to mention the driver.

It's never going back to like before until there's a cure.

Stay home if you don't want to take the risks.
That is the way I feel. I haven't even been going to the drive thrus I usually go to. For one reason, I don't want to even support employees having to work under these conditions. They are not getting paid hazard pay to risk their lives to make my food. I don't want to support that.

That said, getting take out from a restaurant is kind of appealing to me, if they have a good system, and I can order online, go to the restaurant and have them hand it out the door to me. That's pretty convenient. I would consider doing it, especially if this pandemic continues for a while. It's very tempting.

Now add in reopening the restaurants for dine in, and that is a deal killer for me. I'm not going to walk into a crowded restaurant to pick up my food, surrounded by people eating, and talking, and spitting COVID-19 all over the place. That is just not going to happen.

I hope that is something these restaurant owners who are so anxious to open up for dine in are considering. They can serve a lot more people doing take out, then dine in, with social distancing requirements in place. If I'm not the only one who feels this way, they might end up losing a lot more business, then they gain with dine in.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:00 PM

23,903 posts, read 25,832,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Fear impairs logical thinking and problem-solving skills. Logic means nothing to people who operate on emotions like fear. Long-term fear can also shrink the brain. That is where we are as a country.
Neither fear nor bravado have any effect on an infectious virus. It's not fearful to responsibly follow public health guidelines in the midst of a contagious disease pandemic.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:02 PM

8,744 posts, read 5,313,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That is the way I feel. I haven't even been going to the drive thrus I usually go to. For one reason, I don't want to even support employees having to work under these conditions. They are not getting paid hazard pay to risk their lives to make my food. I don't want to support that.

That said, getting take out from a restaurant is kind of appealing to me, if they have a good system, and I can order online, go to the restaurant and have them hand it out the door to me. That's pretty convenient. I would consider doing it, especially if this pandemic continues for a while. It's very tempting.

Now add in reopening the restaurants for dine in, and that is a deal killer for me. I'm not going to walk into a crowded restaurant to pick up my food, surrounded by people eating, and talking, and spitting COVID-19 all over the place. That is just not going to happen.

I hope that is something these restaurant owners who are so anxious to open up for dine in are considering. They can serve a lot more people doing take out, then dine in, with social distancing requirements in place. If I'm not the only one who feels this way, they might end up losing a lot more business, then they gain with dine in.
Opinions are so varied. The spectrum runs all the way from people who haven't even bought to-go food for months (such as the quoted poster) to those who have been getting it all along and were first in line to dine in, and everywhere in the middle. There is no one way to please everyone at this point.

Some restaurants are still completely closed. Some are doing take-out only. Some are doing dine-in only. Some are doing both.

I'm sure everyone can still find restaurants that meet their personal standards, but the fact is that reopening is happening whether people like it or think it is safe, or not.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:04 PM

30 posts, read 4,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
. They can serve a lot more people doing take out, then dine in, with social distancing requirements in place. If I'm not the only one who feels this way, they might end up losing a lot more business, then they gain with dine in.
Most restaurants are getting crushed, they arent even doing half the business they were before this started.

The real problem in my opinion is the CDC is not stressing immunity(lowering fasting sugar BELOW 100) and high lighting those who truly are at risk.

Take this article from businessinsider.com

"Nearly 400 employees at a Missouri pork plant tested positive for COVID-19. None of them had symptoms"

Mercola.com had an article with the following

"A hospital in New York City began universal screening for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, among pregnant women admitted for delivery
Overall, 87.9% of the women who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 had no symptom"

Old 05-27-2020, 12:26 PM

23,903 posts, read 25,832,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Mercola.com had an article with the following

"A hospital in New York City began universal screening for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, among pregnant women admitted for delivery
Overall, 87.9% of the women who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 had no symptom"
Since part of this discussion is about reliable sources, Mercola.com is biased site, so take that with a grain of salt:

https://quackwatch.org/11ind/mercola/

Quote:
Many of Mercola’s articles make unsubstantiated claims and clash with those of leading medical and public health organizations
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mercola/

Quote:
Overall, we rate Mercola.com a Quackery level pseudoscience website that advocates for sometimes dangerous, inaction or action, to serious health issues.
https://library.bu.edu/fakenews/bias

Quote:
Mercola is a doctor of osteopathy who has frequently been targeted by the FDA for promoting false, misleading and even dangerous medical advice. His site promotes products and his blog includes false and/or misleading information about medical topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness