U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 11:50 AM

16,611 posts, read 34,248,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I wouldn`t enjoy eating a meal smelling bleach!
Well it’s not ideal, but to be fair there’s really no way for the restaurant to avoid that. If they’re using bleach to disinfect, you’re going to smell it.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-29-2020, 12:30 PM

28,190 posts, read 10,874,838 times
Personally I believe so many have gone to the extremes of WORRY on all this, and today I'm expecting a Carl's Jr burger a friend is bringing me and some Hot Deli Foods from Rainbow Acres health food store...and I'd make bets not a heck of a lot of bleach is used there...if any, probably good ole hot water and soap.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-29-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 12:53 PM

11,142 posts, read 8,121,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
While we were in Lock down we did use curb side pick up once a week to help our businesses but you cant really think picking food up and taking it home is the same as sitting inside your favorite restaurant and enjoying someone waiting on you, serving you, setting e
verything up and then cleaning up? Please tell me you do understand why we enjoy the dining out experience!!!
Maybe it takes someone who regularly selects, prepares, and cleans up after meals at home to really appreciate the dining out experience.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:13 PM

16,611 posts, read 34,248,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Personally I believe so many have gone to the extremes of WORRY on all this, and today I'm expecting a Carl's Jr burger a friend is bringing me and some Hot Deli Foods from Rainbow Acres health food store...and I'd make bets not a heck of a lot of bleach is used there...if any, probably good ole hot water and soap.
Every state has guidelines for restaurants on how they are to disinfect. Whether or not your particular Carl's Jr. follows your states guidelines I have no idea.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:21 PM

11,802 posts, read 7,659,740 times
The good news is that there is now more room for you in your local hospital

We are still not going to eat in restaurants (other than take out that we disinfect packages and nuke food for 20 sec)

Old 05-29-2020, 04:42 PM

12,390 posts, read 21,983,283 times
Couldn't rep. you again but I agree.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:59 PM

3,963 posts, read 1,638,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
No reason to fear a disease with a 99.984% survival rate.
As of 5/29/2020:

US Cases 1,725,580; deaths 101,800; recovered 399,991.

First of all, the death rate is now at 5.9%. (101,800/1,725,580). Second, only 21.8% (399,990/1,725,580) are classed as "Recovered". Some of the cases reported in recent weeks will result in death- we don't know how many. We can assume that the 72% or so cases not classed as Recovered or Deaths are mostly recovered- but certainly not all of them. So.....99.985% chance of survival? I don't think so.

I really appreciated the link in the second post- haven't read through the whole thread. It focused on closed spaces, singing, shouting, long periods together. I've been doing my own grocery shopping (with mask, reduced frequency), am about to see my grandchildren 3 hours away for the first time since mid-February and finally connected with the guy I'm dating after 2 months last weekend. I've donated blood twice- late March and last Tuesday. I'm enjoying walks and bicycle rides. Tonight I'm going to a gathering of friends on our church grounds- outside, bring your own chair, bottle, snacks, socially distance, wear masks. It's time.

But I'm not ready for restaurants and BF and I will continue to enjoy home-cooked meals.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 2,225,749 times
Do what you want, and what you can ...BUT:

Coronavirus is very contagious! Count on catching it, sooner or later. Just picking things up in a store or touching the checkout counter will do it. It really is everywhere people go, including restaurants. The person "sterilizing" that table is certainly no trained OR tech who must sterilize that OR. Far from it. And it requires that much astuteness to make that table free from virus. Furthermore, you don't know who ate at that table before you got there. There are thousands of other ways you'll catch corona - short of living in a bubble.

Most everybody who catches Coronavirus will either have an asymptomatic infection and never know it, or will have a mild case of it that resolves quicker than the flu but has specific corona-like symptoms (loss of sense of taste is classic). But some people (even middle age people with no "underlying risk factors") can wind up in the ICU fighting for their life. The interstitial pneumonitis that can occur and kill people is unpredictable in its severity or who it will occur in (probably occurs in many more than the ones who end up short of breath). The interstitial pneumonitis of coronavirus is not treatable like the pneumonia that occurs with influenza So, you take your chances exposing yourself.

I've gotten it twice now in 3 months, mild but unquestionable symptoms - cleared up in a few days. But TWICE! Inside of 3 months? I live alone and have almost zero visitors. I only leave the house once a week or so to go to the store, wearing a mask, and washing my hands as soon as I get home. There you go! It is not like the flu, but more like the common cold. You can get more than one version of it in one year - that is very rare with flu.

And because of that, don't get too optimistic about a vaccine. They've been trying to get a vaccine for the common cold for over 70 years. Mutates too much and too fast.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-29-2020 at 06:52 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The good news is that there is now more room for you in your local hospital

We are still not going to eat in restaurants (other than take out that we disinfect packages and nuke food for 20 sec)

Old 05-29-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Do what you want, and what you can ...BUT:

Coronavirus is very contagious! Count on catching it, sooner or later. Just picking things up in a store or touching the checkout counter will do it. It really is everywhere people go, including restaurants. The person "sterilizing" that table is certainly no OR employee who must sterilize that OR. Far from it. And it requires that much to not make that table free from virus. Furthermore, you don't know who ate at that table before you got there.

Most everybody who catches Coronavirus will either have asymptomatic infection and never know, or will have a mild case of it that resolves quicker than the flu. But some people (even middle age people with no "underlying risk factors") can wind up in the ICU. The interstitial pneumonitis that can occur and kill people is unpredictable in its severity (probably occurs in many more than the ones who end up short of breath). So, you take your chances exposing yourself.

I've gotten it twice in 3 months, mild but unquestionable symptoms - cleared up in a few days. But TWICE! In 3 months. I live alone. I only leave the house once a week to go to the store, wearing a mask, and washing my hands as soon as I get home. There you go! It is not like the flu, but more like the common cold. You can get more than one version of it in one year - very rare with flu.

And because of that, don't get too optimistic about a vaccine. They've been trying to get a vaccine for the common cold for over 70 years. Mutates too much and too fast.
I do not count on getting it, sooner or later, and don't think or write those thoughts.

And as I have said over and over keep that immune system UP, do you? I have not had a cold or common flu for over 25 yrs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-29-2020 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!