Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2020, 09:06 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No we need to stop this deadly virus from spreading and killing 1,000 Americans a day. It must be stopped. It is NOT a personal decision to be made. You don't have a right to spread deadly diseases, and kill people.
No one has a right to drive drunk, hit your car, and kill you. But it could happen; it happens to other people every day. It is a risk you take when you get in your car, But that doesn't stop you from getting in your car and driving, because deep down, you know there is no guarantee for your or anyone else's personal safety in this world.

"We must stop deadly diseases" is like saying "We must stop drunk driving." Sure. That would be great. We can try, but we're not going to succeed in eliminating either unless we permanently stop everyone from driving or permanently prevent everyone from leaving their houses, and neither of those things is practicable.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:35 AM

962 posts, read 612,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
The mask is not to protect the wearer. The mask is supposed to protect other people in case the wearer is infected.
A mask will not protect you.
If you are over 70, or obese, or have hypertension or diabetes, you might want to stay home.
Otherwise, there is a tiny chance you could get the virus, or some other thing, by being around people, and there is an even tinier chance that you could die from that virus or that other thing.
Using this "logic", COVID patients in the hospital must wear masks, and the nurses caring for them would not require a mask, right?

Pure nonsense.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:47 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Using this "logic", COVID patients in the hospital must wear masks, and the nurses caring for them would not require a mask, right?

Pure nonsense.
I know, right? But it keeps getting repeated over and over anyway. This is not about what is protecting who anyway. It's about everybody working together to wipe out this virus. A mask is very good protection. Everybody wearing a mask is double protection. Masks have been proven effective in many countries. Unfortunately wearing masks while eating is not practical. There is no way that public dining areas can be made safe. Unless maybe you do like what they do in schools in Asia and put a plastic shield around each person while they are eating, but that is not likely to happen.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I know, right? But it keeps getting repeated over and over anyway. This is not about what is protecting who anyway. It's about everybody working together to wipe out this virus. A mask is very good protection. Everybody wearing a mask is double protection. Masks have been proven effective in many countries. Unfortunately wearing masks while eating is not practical. There is no way that public dining areas can be made safe. Unless maybe you do like what they do in schools in Asia and put a plastic shield around each person while they are eating, but that is not likely to happen.
I recently posted a WHO Flip Flop youtube on Wearing the Mask on a couple other forums around here....continuing flip flops on this issue. People who want to wear masks, I say let them. I don't.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:04 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Staying home forever is not feasible. We did for 3 months. Now we are eating out and seeing friends. No large crowds for us and still avoiding most stores. We do wear masks.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Staying home forever is not feasible. We did for 3 months. Now we are eating out and seeing friends. No large crowds for us and still avoiding most stores. We do wear masks.
I had 4 men workers in my apt early last evening, doing electrical work and delivering some food to me and NONE wore masks, how refreshing that was.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:40 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I had 4 men workers in my apt early last evening, doing electrical work and delivering some food to me and NONE wore masks, how refreshing that was.
Why would that be refreshing? Why would that it even matter to you? Who cares if someone else wants to wear a mask?

Old 06-06-2020, 02:34 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post

Pure nonsense.

The masks worn by doctors and nurses are not the cloth masks or bandanas that the general public is being asked/required to wear. Cloth masks will not prevent virus particles from getting through. The virus particles are very, very small, and if they are floating around (aerosolized) they will go right on through the mask. However, researchers don't even know if covid-19 is naturally aerosolized. (They have forced it to aerosolize in the lab.) The fact that they don't know if it is means that they haven't found it to be. So at this point, evidence leans toward . . . No. So a mask will let covid-19 particles through, but that's okay, because the virus probably isn't floating around in the air anyway, unless you're in an enclosed area where sick people have just been sneezing and coughing.

So how does a cloth mask protect others, if the virus is small enough to go right through? Well, the virus is usually contained in water droplets, especially from a cough or sneeze. The mask stops these droplets, so the virus is stopped with them. (Virus has been found on the outside of the mask, but since the vehicle was stopped, they didn't continue on any farther.)

Now take the case of an unmasked sick person sneezing in the face of a masked person. Sneezing forcefully expels droplets, and the virus is in the droplets. The droplets are stopped by the "receiver's" mask. However, some of the virus goes through. (Like someone going through the windshield of a car in an accident.) That virus can then be breathed by the mask-wearer. Happily, most people don't sneeze in the faces of others, but the droplets from the sneeze can travel some distance and stay in the air for a short time. (Sneeze into your elbow!)

No "expert," no "scientist," no "authority," is making any sort of claim about cloth masks protecting the wearer. In fact, I've read a couple things that indicate masks can increase your chances of getting sick. These opinions are not shared by the authorities, who prefer that everyone go around masked.

The official line is that they protect other people from the wearer, if the wearer is sick. Of course, Fauci at first said they were of no benefit, and may be harmful, to the general public. Then he suddenly decided they were beneficial to the general public and ought to be worn. Now he says they probably don't do that much, but they might help a little, and they are a nice symbol of caring. So I tend to disregard the opinions of that particular expert.

The WHO says there is no reason to wear one unless you are sick. I don't particularly trust the WHO, either, but at least they've been somewhat consistent.

I don't wear one. I can't wear one. But if I could, I don't know if I would.

Close contact is how people are getting sick. Nursing homes and similar settings are where the largest number of people are getting sick.

But back to restaurants. I'd be fine with eating out, if it weren't for the hospital atmosphere. That, and the gross masks people will have been setting on tables and benches.

Oh. And gloves. Those are gross, too.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:44 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This whole experience has made me realize just how much money I have wasted on eating out over the years. My last two credit card statements have been half of what they normally are.

$25 here, $40 there... it really adds up.
I agree. And nowadays the servers EXPECT a 20% tip for just delivering one plate and a beverage to the table.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Why would that be refreshing? Why would that it even matter to you? Who cares if someone else wants to wear a mask?
It was refreshing since these 4 are not into fear and fear mongering. Like mostly myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness