U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 06:14 AM

75,834 posts, read 88,700,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgrl84 View Post
Totally irresponsible
Why is it irresponsible? What are they and the rest of us supposed to do, stay locked up and only venture out when the warden tells us we can?

Anyone over 60 grew up in a world where vaccines were only available for a few diseases; most of us lived through so many dreaded diseases both childhood and adulthood. The world din't just stop. The only difference then was, we didn't travel, worldly like today and we didn't have 24/7 news filled with negative information only. There are so many germs out there that no way can we protect ourselves or our loved ones all the time. For those of you who really think you are protecting yourself and others by shutting in for weeks at a time, good for you, but please do not lecture the rest of us because we are going on with our lives with only a few changes.

Last edited by nmnita; 05-26-2020 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 08:01 AM

10,844 posts, read 7,925,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I went to a higher end chain steakhouse a couple weeks back. Literally 12 people in the whole restaurant (customers) and our table was 4 of them. Every worker had masks/gloves on. Food was great.

I do think this slowdown will surely close more than a few restaurants permanently. I think that industry is going to flush out 1/3 of its workers due to closures/reduced patronage.
I think that's very possible, sadly. Though the several places we have been seem to be doing quite a lively takeout business. There's a great barbecue place we frequent that seems to be even busier between the takeout, and now in restaurant dining, than they were before. And that's even with the "social distancing" rigamarole. Another place told us that they are coming back, "slowly but surely".

Though I'm sure you are right about businesses, and not just those in the food industry, not surviving this "pandemic" thing. I'd think that has a lot to do with the state of their finances before it happened.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:10 AM

8,827 posts, read 12,665,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
While you ponder if it's safe to go buy a burger, I'll continue to take my toddler wherever I go, without masks on.
The mask isn't to keep you safe, it's to keep others safe from you.

So whether you think it safe to go out is not the issue; the issue is if you have enough respect and consideration for others to wear a mask when you go out whether you think it's safe or not. Obviously, that's a resounding no.

Quote:
I carry him and don't let him touch anything adults touch (door handles, etc). I put sanitizer on his and my hands when we get back to the car. We haven't gotten COVID-19.
Given that 25%-50% of people who have Covid-19 are asymptomatic, you have absolutely no idea whether you've had it unless you've been recently tested. https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...are-have-virus

Quote:
I refuse to spend money at places that have mandated masks because I have self-control and don't touch my face. If I have to cough or sneeze (very rare), I use the crook of my elbow.
Great! I hope more of the inconsiderate, non mask-wearing public feels the same way that you do. That way I won't run into many of those insufferable, self-righteous, clowns when I go out.

Quote:
I spent a decade arresting people with HIV, Tuberculosis, and sharps in their pockets. COVID-19 doesn't scare me.
Once again, it's not about you!

Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 AM

8,744 posts, read 5,313,638 times
I would eat in a restaurant, now that they are reopening in my county. In fact, we considered it yesterday for my birthday, but our favorite Thai place was closed for the holiday, and the one we ended up at was only doing take-out. We asked, but they said they are not ready for dining in. Oh well, the take-out food was great and after all, it is much easier for them than having sit-down customers to wait on.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:58 AM

4,449 posts, read 2,211,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Why is it irresponsible? What are they and the rest of us supposed to do, stay locked up and only venture out when the warden tells us we can?

Anyone over 60 grew up in a world where vaccines were only available for a few diseases; most of us lived through so many dreaded diseases both childhood and adulthood. The world din't just stop. The only difference then was, we didn't travel, worldly like today and we didn't have 24/7 news filled with negative information only. There are so many germs out there that no way can we protect ourselves or our loved ones all the time. For those of you who really think you are protecting yourself and others by shutting in for weeks at a time, good for you, but please do not lecture the rest of us because we are going on with our lives with only a few changes.
I wouldn't agree with the poster who said it's "totally irresponsible," but I have to say, I personally will not be going out to eat any time soon. I think it's all about weighing your risk tolerance.

If a restaurant is operating in a way that is following good social distancing practices (i.e. not packed to the brim with people on top of each other), and you can tell they are doing everything to operate safely for everyone, then it is probably relatively safe and is an individual choice as to whether you want to eat out. I wouldn't call it irresponsible in that case, although, I'm personally opting to wait a little while before going to restaurants.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:14 AM

270 posts, read 247,069 times
We have dined in once since March 15th. I did'n think I would yet but one day i went into nearby restrurant to pick up take out I saw how well the set up was done and decided I would be ok with coming back to dine. First this particular restrurant is huge and they only had a handful of tables even open spaced FAR apart and were mostly untilizing the tables with very high backs (ours was like a very small private room), staff masked, touchless menu & ordering, marked one way floors for entering/exting,hand sanatizer. We seated ourselves and only had interaction with 1 person the entire visit (our server ONLY when bringing drinks & food). They even had an option to pay & tip via your phone to avoid one more point of contact. The server told me if the open non taped tables start filling up they will require reservations vs opening more. We did put our masks on when the server came to the table to protect her.

It was nice to be out somewhere and feel somewhat normal. I felt comfortable because of how serious the owner/ staff had taken safety. We will likely return to break up the endless days of isolation.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:00 AM

11,790 posts, read 13,665,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The virus is still out there.

People are still getting sick and dying!

There is no way in Hell that I am going to start mixing with people until a vaccine, or cure, is developed

You'd have to be nuts to mix in public at this time, it's too early in the progression of this disease

331mm in the US. Corona killed 100K so far.

132 suicides a day in the US (48,180 in 2019)

38,802 car crash fatalities in the USA in 2019

84,000 deaths from Diabetes in 2019.

10,511 DUI deaths in 2018

606,880 cancer deaths in 2019.

Look at the big picture..........lots of stuff other than Covid 19 can "get you!"

Old 05-26-2020, 11:03 AM

11,790 posts, read 13,665,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I wouldn't agree with the poster who said it's "totally irresponsible," but I have to say, I personally will not be going out to eat any time soon. I think it's all about weighing your risk tolerance.

If a restaurant is operating in a way that is following good social distancing practices (i.e. not packed to the brim with people on top of each other), and you can tell they are doing everything to operate safely for everyone, then it is probably relatively safe and is an individual choice as to whether you want to eat out. I wouldn't call it irresponsible in that case, although, I'm personally opting to wait a little while before going to restaurants.
The "totally irresponsible" comment was because the people going were primary caretakers for a 95 yr old person in their household.

If you are spaced apart, not elbow to elbow for hours sitting at a bar it will be a non issue.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:24 AM

8,827 posts, read 12,665,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
331mm in the US. Corona killed 100K so far.

132 suicides a day in the US (48,180 in 2019)

38,802 car crash fatalities in the USA in 2019

84,000 deaths from Diabetes in 2019.

10,511 DUI deaths in 2018

606,880 cancer deaths in 2019.

Look at the big picture..........lots of stuff other than Covid 19 can "get you!"
Yes, but that's 100,000 in roughly 3 months with basically the entire country shut down. It was forecast to be more than 1,000,000 if such preventative measures weren't taken.

So, yes, as you say, let's look at the big picture.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:37 AM

4,449 posts, read 2,211,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, but that's 100,000 in roughly 3 months with basically the entire country shut down. It was forecast to be more than 1,000,000 if such preventative measures weren't taken.

So, yes, as you say, let's look at the big picture.
Agree. Also, I don't really understand when people post stats for Diabetes, Cancer, Suicides. Those disease/conditions can't be spread to someone. DUI and car crash fatalities can obviously kill someone else, but the preventive measures occurring are to prevent the spread of an infectious disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness