Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 06:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

I ate out at a Mexican restaurant a couple of days ago, but I timed it for the slowest time of the day, which around here is 2-3pm while most people are at work. Immediately upon walking in I could smell bleach, so they had been cleaning, and every other booth had a paper on the table with an 'X' on it. All servers were wearing masks and gloves.

I felt pretty comfortable in that situation, however I don't know that I would go during the busier time of the day.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:20 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I really don't understand the necessity of opening restaurants for dine in. If you can take your food out and eat it in a safe place, then what is the big deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I don't get it either.. it's apparently a combination of forces behind the decision to do so, as if wishing and hoping things can begin getting back to normal, just as we see some wanting what they want.
Everything I've read and every interview I've seen with restaurant owners indicates that they've lost 70%-80% of their business during the pandemic, even with the allowed takeout, curbside and delivery. The expenses required to get that 20-30% of daily sales like staff and food & bev purchases means a restaurant is lucky to break even.

The only way a large majority of restaurants will make it is to be able to offer the full compliment of services, which means dine-in. And yes, logic would dictate that with 25% or even 50% capacity restrictions, it will be hard, but those restrictions are usually based on the Fire Marshall's "Max capacity" number which most restaurants rarely operate at, so 50% of that might very likely be good enough for them to get by during this time.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And the vaccine will be as effective as the Flu shot?

I see no problem of eating out an outdoor patio area of a restaurant!
How about when it's in the high 80's with a 90% humidity?

Old 05-29-2020, 06:45 AM

3,644 posts, read 1,599,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I ate out at a Mexican restaurant a couple of days ago, but I timed it for the slowest time of the day, which around here is 2-3pm while most people are at work. Immediately upon walking in I could smell bleach, so they had been cleaning, and every other booth had a paper on the table with an 'X' on it. All servers were wearing masks and gloves.

I felt pretty comfortable in that situation, however I don't know that I would go during the busier time of the day.

Doesn't matter just cleaning the place. What matters maybe more is if you are sitting in the same ventilation flow zone of someone at another table (or yours) that is spreading virus droplets just from talking.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Then you really didn't comprehend what they meant when they said it was to flatten the curve.

It is also a new disease, and time was needed to gain knowledge, increase testing, and improve treatments.

Any places that use low-wage employees to serve will be a risk because they will come into work sick and spread disease. I think the biggest risk will be salons and barbers. The virus stays airborne for up to 3 hours while the ventilation system recirculates stagnant air. Most of the people who were infected in the restaurant didn't test positive for 5 to 14 days.
No, I think you misunderstood what the shut down is or was all about. It was to slow the outbreak and to flatten the curve, which is what slow it down is all about. At least that is how most I know understand it. Of course no one thought,by shutting everything down, COVID would just vanish into thin air.

You are right, it appears most who contract the virus do not show positive for a few days and up to 2 weeks, just like any similar illness. It takes a while after exposure to become ill. that is a no brainer and we don't need a scientist to tell us this.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I really don't understand the necessity of opening restaurants for dine in. If you can take your food out and eat it in a safe place, then what is the big deal? People must eat it inside the restaurant, in an environment were social distancing will never work? Social distancing is not going to be profitable for most restaurants. It will just cause more problems. Employees will be more likely to get sick. Then the restaurant will get completely shut down. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
While we were in Lock down we did use curb side pick up once a week to help our businesses but you cant really think picking food up and taking it home is the same as sitting inside your favorite restaurant and enjoying someone waiting on you, serving you, setting everything up and then cleaning up? Please tell me you do understand why we enjoy the dining out experience!!!

Old 05-29-2020, 07:56 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well, that is when it sucks to live in Florida.

I was walking around the lake around 7 pm yesterday and saw that one of our favorite Mexican restaurants has reopened for dining. They have a lakeside patio elevated above ground level, and there were at least six or seven small groups enjoying dinner outside. It was nice to hear the sound of their voices. I hadn't realized I missed that, until it came back.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Doesn't matter just cleaning the place. What matters maybe more is if you are sitting in the same ventilation flow zone of someone at another table (or yours) that is spreading virus droplets just from talking.
I realize that, that's why I said I wouldn't go during a busier time of the day. There were only 3 or 4 tables with people, each spaced over 15' apart.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yeah, but I see people doing it. No way I'd sit there with gnats and flies in my face though.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:56 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I wouldn`t enjoy eating a meal smelling bleach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness