Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 05:25 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,337,866 times

Advertisements

Deaths of Vietnam + Afghanistan + Iraq + Sept 11 attacks = less than Covid.

The suicide jumpers from 9/11 were victims of the attack.
The soldier who died in a convoy wreck was a victim of the war.

We can go on and on with this. (And it seems we do. They.....just......won't (can't?)....get it)

The deniers/pro-plaguers are no different than flat landers, holocaust deniers, moon-walk deniers. They'll go down in history as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 05:25 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,538,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I happen to think many who assume some are taking it lightly do not realize we are not taking it lightly, we just know there is only so much that we can do and life does go on. this is not the first time we have faced something similar and it will not be the last. Lockdown, for how long, a month, a year, until we have a vaccine that may work or what? How many jobs should we see lost, how many people will not be able to pay their bills and businesses closing and how much do you expect the government to bail us out and leave even more debt for our grand kids and great grand kids. Even it we had done a lock down 3 months ago sooner or later it would have caught up with us.
Truth!

And as far as a vaccine goes, by the time a vaccine is researched, developed, and manufactured it could be 1 to 1 1/2 yrs from when this started. By that time the virus will have mutated many times so that the vaccine will not work.

For the regular flu, every year they guess which flu will be prevalent, and that is the one they put out. If people are going to hide in their homes at the thought of getting sick, what happens when a true national disaster strikes? I can already guess, hide in their homes, and cave to the threat. Remember, most people who get this survive, and then have immunity. Now, people hide, and have NO immunity. We need to toughen up, and stand up for our freedoms while we still have them!

Old 05-28-2020, 05:34 PM

14,224 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Remember, most people who get this survive, and then have immunity. Now, people hide, and have NO immunity.
That's why it disturbs me when people suggest--not just for themselves, not just for the most vulnerable, but for all of society including children--that ideally we should all become "germophobes" and devote ourselves to wearing masks and sanitizing everything we touch, for the rest of our lives.

This is very BAD advice and will lead to a weaker, sicker population. Children in particular need to be exposed to dirt and germs, to get colds and even the occasional flu, or their immune systems will be worthless.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:56 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,033,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Truth!

NOT.

Quote:
And as far as a vaccine goes, by the time a vaccine is researched, developed, and manufactured it could be 1 to 1 1/2 yrs from when this started. By that time the virus will have mutated many times so that the vaccine will not work.

This is not true. Yes, it may take some time to develop a vaccine, but this has nowhere near the mutability of influenza viruses according to current data.

Quote:
For the regular flu, every year they guess which flu will be prevalent, and that is the one they put out. If people are going to hide in their homes at the thought of getting sick, what happens when a true national disaster strikes? I can already guess, hide in their homes, and cave to the threat. Remember, most people who get this survive, and then have immunity. Now, people hide, and have NO immunity. We need to toughen up, and stand up for our freedoms while we still have them!

Patently ridiculous. This bears little relation to the common flu virus. One should not spout off so much, when one has no idea of what one is talking about.

Your 'freedom' has nothing to do with it. The freedom, of as many other people as possible, to continue to live has *everything* to do with it.

1/3 of the population of the US is likely to suffer significant and potentially life-threatening illness, if extreme measures are not taken. Your cavalier attitude does not speak well of you. I wish I could say what I *really* want to say to you...so imagine something extremely rude, you'll likely not be far wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's why it disturbs me when people suggest--not just for themselves, not just for the most vulnerable, but for all of society including children--that ideally we should all become "germophobes" and devote ourselves to wearing masks and sanitizing everything we touch, for the rest of our lives.

This is very BAD advice and will lead to a weaker, sicker population. Children in particular need to be exposed to dirt and germs, to get colds and even the occasional flu, or their immune systems will be worthless.

It is not about becoming 'germophobes', it is about taking reasonable precautions to protect others from *you*.

This is a temporary delaying action, in order to maximize life and minimize death. Your bullscat about children developing immunity to common ailments has no relation to this whatsoever.Your inclusion of this completely irrelevant bit speaks volumes as to your attitude, education and cognizance.

You aren't doing yourself any favors.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:20 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,337,866 times
zymer...sanity seems to reign in the covid discusssion and science threads (at least the bits I've read). Reading those can restore your faith in humanity.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:06 PM

14,224 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It is not about becoming 'germophobes', it is about taking reasonable precautions to protect others from *you*.

This is a temporary delaying action, in order to maximize life and minimize death. Your bullscat about children developing immunity to common ailments has no relation to this whatsoever. Your inclusion of this completely irrelevant bit speaks volumes as to your attitude, education and cognizance.

You aren't doing yourself any favors.
This is YOUR (gratuitously rude) misinterpretation of what I said. I am telling you that I have read posts from more than one person who believes that assiduous sanitizing, mask-wearing during flu season, and germophobia should become the "new normal," to use that distasteful phrase.

Do you think I made it all up?

Last edited by saibot; 05-28-2020 at 07:16 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 07:54 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Very similar to how our granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner feels.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:42 AM

1,254 posts, read 816,886 times
Quote:
I happen to think many who assume some are taking it lightly do not realize we are not taking it lightly, we just know there is only so much that we can do and life does go on. this is not the first time we have faced something similar and it will not be the last. Lockdown, for how long, a month, a year, until we have a vaccine that may work or what? How many jobs should we see lost, how many people will not be able to pay their bills and businesses closing and how much do you expect the government to bail us out and leave even more debt for our grand kids and great grand kids. Even it we had done a lock down 3 months ago sooner or later it would have caught up with us.
i understand there are NO Good options and I realize that people have to work for a living that is not what I"m refering to but the OPTIONAL/recreational activities which continued unabated for weeks longer than they should have
like socializing in bars , careless attitude of restaurant staff even when picking up takeout, going out in big groups, IMPROPER use of masks in grocery stores, overcrowding in parks etc etc some of this is still happening

Old 05-29-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Deaths of Vietnam + Afghanistan + Iraq + Sept 11 attacks = less than Covid.

The suicide jumpers from 9/11 were victims of the attack.
The soldier who died in a convoy wreck was a victim of the war.

We can go on and on with this. (And it seems we do. They.....just......won't (can't?)....get it)

The deniers/pro-plaguers are no different than flat landers, holocaust deniers, moon-walk deniers. They'll go down in history as such.
there are good people on both sides of debate , we should not demonize them

since this issue has become politicized people feel forced to pick a side and be loyal to their political allegiances, IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS WAY

we should RATIONALLY analyze this and be prepared to chnage our views if confronted with evidence [ i'm open to it and i work in health care and fully recognize the limitations of medical science] but in situations like this we should err on the side of caution.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Very similar to how our granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner feels.
she needs a refresher in basic health scienceS and microbiology

world population has increased exponentially since 19th century due to advances in medical sciences , before that most kids died before they were 5 and droves of people perished in all kinds of plagues and communicable diseases, do we really want to go back to that era ?

AND immune systems do not develop like that , robust healthy adults in 17th 18th century who had survived all kinds of childhood diseases would die of something as preventable as cholera.So this whole idea that children exposed to germs in childhood will be immune to all kinds of diseases is just quackery.
At the same time we should not make our kids live in a bubble either , my kid swaps buggers with all his friends and I'm sure he is dirtier than my dog I will not run after him with a lysol wipe either.Let kids be kids but not to the point of advocating a sinister form of medical Darwinism

Last edited by Dad01; 05-29-2020 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness