Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 08:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I have the same type and hate them. They're always clogging up with wax, so I have to take them out, clean them, and put them back in. Usually 10 minutes later the battery dies so I have to do it all over again. So I stopped wearing them totally years ago. I can't be taking out my hearing aides at work, I work retail in customer service. It's not something I can just excuse myself and go to my locker, unlock it, find my kit, bring it to the bathroom, do the cleaning, put the kit back in the locker, then get back to the customers, at random moments throughout the shift.
If your batteries are dying within minutes, you should have them looked at. Sounds like something's wrong. For me batteries will last about a week to 10 days.

Unfortunately, they do have to be cleaned out periodically, but that's a necessary task. I think most hearing aids need to be cleaned out. I run a cleaner through the ventilation tube once every few days at home. If wax is quickly clogging them up too much, you might want to go in for an ear inspection and cleaning. Wax is a natural part of how the ear protects itself. There are cleaning solutions that can help loosen and break up wax Still, you can reduce the buildup by applying a drop or two of mineral oil. Having and using hearing aids requires committing to maintaining them on a regular basis. You've just got to make a habit of doing it.

As a musician, I need my ears to be able to hear things as well as possible. I also use a headset, but that's in addition to the hearing aids, as I can't adjust the volume independently for each earpiece of the headset. The hearing aids help bring out tones and sounds that I might otherwise not be able to clearly hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
If your batteries are dying within minutes, you should have them looked at. Sounds like something's wrong. For me batteries will last about a week to 10 days.

Unfortunately, they do have to be cleaned out periodically, but that's a necessary task. I think most hearing aids need to be cleaned out. I run a cleaner through the ventilation tube once every few days at home. If wax is quickly clogging them up too much, you might want to go in for an ear inspection and cleaning. Wax is a natural part of how the ear protects itself. There are cleaning solutions that can help loosen and break up wax Still, you can reduce the buildup by applying a drop or two of mineral oil. Having and using hearing aids requires committing to maintaining them on a regular basis. You've just got to make a habit of doing it.

As a musician, I need my ears to be able to hear things as well as possible. I also use a headset, but that's in addition to the hearing aids, as I can't adjust the volume independently for each earpiece of the headset. The hearing aids help bring out tones and sounds that I might otherwise not be able to clearly hear.
Oh - no they don't die within minutes - it's just always the coincidence that they die right AFTER I cleaned the wax. I had to change the batteries every week when I was wearing them most of the day. Then I switched to wearing them just a couple hours at night to watch TV (at the time), and had to change the batteries every other week. Now, I spend 0 on batteries, because I don't wear them at all.

The ear wax thing was a constant problem. I can clean my ears and 10 minutes later there's new wax forming. If there's no wax - it immediately creates more. If there's wax, it comes down and coats the surface of the canal and will clog whatever is in it.

It was as though my ears were threatened by the intrusion of the hearing aids and would produce wax as a defense mechanism. I'm sure that isn't what was happening, but that's what the experience felt like.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Default Phonak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Phonak is the brand name, made in Switzerland. After 2 years, as a courtesy,the company reconditioned them. My audiologist gave me loaners (free hearing aids) for a week, Before I purchased them. When I did make the purchase, a mold was made of my inner ear. So they customed made for my ears.

Yes, they are expensive. My doctor had me come in on a regular basis so I could learn how to use them. He exp!aimed I need to wear them when awake as my brain had gradually stopped using that part of the brain. My hearing was like a volume on a radio, gradually diminishing over 28 years.

Scandinavian heritage, he told me those women can a genetic disposition for hearing loss. My maternal grandmother, mother, both hard of hearing. Mentioned I had sons, it cannot be passed on to them.

Now, 4 years later, notice a difference when I do Not wear them. Heading aids are part of my being. Questions? If I can assist you, send a message to.me.
I got my hearing aids,Phonak from the VA,in 2010.The VA audioligist created a mold for each ear.
I get free box of batteries as needed.They get repaired in Denver CO free of charge,they replace tubing and retune the frequency,they work perfectly.
I get a prepaid shipping lable also.Excellent benefit.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:10 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Oh - no they don't die within minutes - it's just always the coincidence that they die right AFTER I cleaned the wax. I had to change the batteries every week when I was wearing them most of the day. Then I switched to wearing them just a couple hours at night to watch TV (at the time), and had to change the batteries every other week. Now, I spend 0 on batteries, because I don't wear them at all.

The ear wax thing was a constant problem. I can clean my ears and 10 minutes later there's new wax forming. If there's no wax - it immediately creates more. If there's wax, it comes down and coats the surface of the canal and will clog whatever is in it.

It was as though my ears were threatened by the intrusion of the hearing aids and would produce wax as a defense mechanism. I'm sure that isn't what was happening, but that's what the experience felt like.
I see. If you wore them most of the day, every day of the week, then, of course, the batteries are going to die out. I can see how that would seem to be a pretty weird coincidence.

As for the wax, of course that's natural, but perhaps your ear canal either dries out too quickly, or you have too much wax that builds up quickly. Either way, it can coat and possibly plug up the ear piece. If the wax is flaky (dry), try a drop or two of mineral oil in the ear. But if you have an excess amount of sticky wax, you might consider having your ears looked at. ENT physicians will charge you for an exam, but most hearing aid centers will examine and clean your ears for free. They should be able to give you some suggestions about how to manage it. But if you're satisfied with not bothering with hearing aids at all, then sure, no expense on batteries. I suppose it depends on how serious your hearing loss is.

As for me, although I don't have profound hearing loss, it's enough to not clearly hear people speaking, and as a musician, to hear the music. I don't wear them all the time, but they are pretty necessary for me.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:18 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I see. If you wore them most of the day, every day of the week, then, of course, the batteries are going to die out. I can see how that would seem to be a pretty weird coincidence.

As for the wax, of course that's natural, but perhaps your ear canal either dries out too quickly, or you have too much wax that builds up quickly. Either way, it can coat and possibly plug up the ear piece. If the wax is flaky (dry), try a drop or two of mineral oil in the ear. But if you have an excess amount of sticky wax, you might consider having your ears looked at. ENT physicians will charge you for an exam, but most hearing aid centers will examine and clean your ears for free. They should be able to give you some suggestions about how to manage it. But if you're satisfied with not bothering with hearing aids at all, then sure, no expense on batteries. I suppose it depends on how serious your hearing loss is.

As for me, although I don't have profound hearing loss, it's enough to not clearly hear people speaking, and as a musician, to hear the music. I don't wear them all the time, but they are pretty necessary for me.
My hearing loss is degenerative. If I don't die of old age first I'll eventually be deaf. Right now I can hear most things just fine, but have trouble distinguishing words. People wearing masks makes it harder, because I can't combine "faulty hearing" with lipreading.

I can't hear my cat meowing if she's doing it quietly, at the foot of my computer chair. But when she comes up to bite my nose at 5AM because she thinks I should get up and feed her breakfast, I can hear her purr, and it sounds like a speedboat motor.

I usually just tell people to slow down when they talk and enunciate their words. And I more or less just don't bother even trying to listen to people with thick foreign accents (even thick British accents).

Old 07-12-2020, 08:31 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryclaire View Post
My daughter and son say both their parents need them...does anyone have a brand they really like? I’ve heard so many negative reviews and those that keep theirs in a drawer that I’d like to find people that like theirs. Thanks!
There's a thread in the retirement section that has a lot of feedback. From memory, a lot got them from Costco.

My hub got his from Miracle Ear after doing a lot of research. I think he has the 2nd one on this page but am not positive. I know it's in the ear but he does have a loop around his ear. I think it's just a loop though with no receiver. They may have upgraded their products since he bought them 3 or 4 years ago. He's been happy with his experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness