U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 02:35 PM

1,610 posts, read 2,428,513 times

Advertisements

Make sure you wear gloves when washing dishes or cleaning things where you will get your hands wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 04:52 PM

7,842 posts, read 2,225,456 times
Has any OTC cream worked for your eczema?

No.

Almost.

My legs, from the ankle joint up about 6" to the tops of my socks, were getting pretty itchy for a while. I scratched them, which produced lacerations on the skin and some bleeding. Got some 1% Cortisone spray for dogs, sprayed it on the lower calves twice a day for several weeks, it very slowly went away. Now it's fine (and I now wear ankle socks to hopefully prevent a return).

Later developed the same sort of thing on my hands in various places. Cortisone didn't seem to help. So my doctor prescribed Betamethazone (sp?) cream, I put it on twice a day for two weeks. All the itching in those areas went away, pretty good stuff.

And then a few weeks later it started itching in other areas of the hands. So I put the Beta cream on there, after a while those areas calmed down.

And then on another areas, etc. etc. Never have totally gotten rid of it.

And even after the itching has left, there are a few areas where the skin has become hard and inflexible, and when I work with my hands the skin sometimes splits and bleeds a little. The Beta cream seems to have no effect on the hardness and splitting and bleeding, even after weeks of application, though it clears up the itching pretty well.

My doctor commented that "excema" is a catch-all name for any of half a dozen different, minor skin ailments. I suppose this beta cream is effective on some of them, maybe not so effective on others, and I might have more than one.

Sigh.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:06 PM

13,492 posts, read 21,938,883 times
I've used steroid creams for years trying to combat eczema. They do help, but it's been difficult getting refills. So many dermatologists and allergists want to do multiple tests before prescribing them( I've moved several times). I chanced upon an OTC quite by accident, it was donated to the charity I work for. It's from Australia, and called Natralia. It helps a lot with the itching, not surprising because it smells a lot like calamine lotion. I'm rationing it, I haven't found it anywhere locally.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 PM

5,798 posts, read 2,554,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I've used steroid creams for years trying to combat eczema. They do help, but it's been difficult getting refills. So many dermatologists and allergists want to do multiple tests before prescribing them( I've moved several times). I chanced upon an OTC quite by accident, it was donated to the charity I work for. It's from Australia, and called Natralia. It helps a lot with the itching, not surprising because it smells a lot like calamine lotion. I'm rationing it, I haven't found it anywhere locally.
I think calamine lotion has zinc oxide in it. Zinc oxide is supposed to be helpful. I have another zinc lotion I use when I get bumpy areas, but it was also imported. Most are in sunblock but you can find some that are not for use as a sunblock.

I agree that a lot of dermatologists want to do tests because it can be one of multiple issues. I get folliculitis, acne, and other dry skin rashes, and different products work for each. For the folliculitis, the zinc helps, but if it gets bad I have to get an antifungal oral medication. I use the zinc lotion on rashes too. I also use tea tree products as I think they help with all three.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:12 PM

18,536 posts, read 17,009,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
Vaseline makes my hands worse. I'll have to start using gloves to do the dishes.
Avoid Vaseline. Definitely use gloves when you wash dishes and keep your hands as dry as possible. I've had eczema my whole life and from what I've been told by dermatologists, the steroid creams work the best. As another poster mentioned, sun....and salt water, if you live near an ocean. Climate has a big impact. The best climate to live in if you have eczema is warm and dry (and the worst is cold and humid).

Old 06-17-2020, 06:45 PM

12,830 posts, read 21,498,549 times
I had large nasty patches on my body. I switched from Tide to Seventh Generation. Took a few weeks but it’s all gone.

I switched to Method hand soap, too.

Worked for me.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:10 PM

6,889 posts, read 9,548,136 times
If you use lotion. Use fragrance free lotions or baby lotions.

Use mild soaps like Ivory and oatmeal soaps like Yardley's.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:37 AM

16,506 posts, read 10,647,844 times
I believe eczema is a hormonal issue, I've never had eczema before and my doctor prescribed me cremes to use and I use it for 3-4 months and didn't help and I gave up. It has cleared up on it's own after 6 months and I attribute this I believe to developing my gut flora or eating probiotic stuff. I cut down on carbs, breads, and sugar. I eat raw salads everyday, eat lots of fermented stuff like kimchi and apple cider vinegar.

The other thing I did was stop using mouth wash, I know it maybe irrelevant but mouth wash kills a lot of gut bacteria since you are overly sanitizing your mouth and not getting enough germs to flourish in your mouth and body.

So I hope this helps because I know some in my family has had it all life and why I may have developed it too but I never had it until recent but it has gone away and I attribute this to my major diet change.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:50 PM

42,599 posts, read 17,461,876 times
Pine tar soap works for some.

There's a brand that has 20% pine tar and has porcupine carved in the bar. I think it is made in New Hampshire.

Smells like a campfire. Works like crazy.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:17 AM

13,417 posts, read 23,065,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Pine tar soap works for some.

There's a brand that has 20% pine tar and has porcupine carved in the bar. I think it is made in New Hampshire.

Smells like a campfire. Works like crazy.
Pine Tar 20% Soap
Quote:
Pine Tar has a tremendous history of being used for its anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties. People have used pine tar in soap for dry skin, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, rashes, poison ivy, among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
For some reason, I only get eczema on my hands and they only go away if I use a steroid cream prescribed by my dermatologist. If I don't use it, it gets pretty bad and my hands look like they have a disease. It can even get "weepy" and the sores will open and it's not only unsightly, it also gets pretty painful. My steroid cream is pretty old, it expired about a year ago. I can still use it for a while but I'm thinking it might not be as effective in a year or two. It would be great if I didn't have to rely on this steroid cream. I've tried OTC eczema creams before but they often make it worse. Has any worked for you?
My daughter and I are using an eczema creme from Walmart. I want to say it's by Aveeno but am not sure off the top of my head.

For the last 5+ years, my hands are horrible once the heat gets turned on. I get huge cracks in my fingers and knuckles. I have not seen a dermatologist for a DX. This cream is the only thing that has helped lately.

My daughters hands are worst then mine, hers are raw from so much hand washing. She uses it too. She said her doctor diagnosed eczema on her hands and body.

I've also used a vitamin B creme from Rite Aid that worked in the beginning. I'll also use bag balm on my hands some nights. My hub uses the bag balm which helps his cracked hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or