U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 11:28 PM

3,175 posts, read 2,584,114 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I only get eczema on my hands and they only go away if I use a steroid cream prescribed by my dermatologist. If I don't use it, it gets pretty bad and my hands look like they have a disease. It can even get "weepy" and the sores will open and it's not only unsightly, it also gets pretty painful. My steroid cream is pretty old, it expired about a year ago. I can still use it for a while but I'm thinking it might not be as effective in a year or two. It would be great if I didn't have to rely on this steroid cream. I've tried OTC eczema creams before but they often make it worse. Has any worked for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 05:09 AM

5,797 posts, read 2,554,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
For some reason, I only get eczema on my hands and they only go away if I use a steroid cream prescribed by my dermatologist. If I don't use it, it gets pretty bad and my hands look like they have a disease. It can even get "weepy" and the sores will open and it's not only unsightly, it also gets pretty painful. My steroid cream is pretty old, it expired about a year ago. I can still use it for a while but I'm thinking it might not be as effective in a year or two. It would be great if I didn't have to rely on this steroid cream. I've tried OTC eczema creams before but they often make it worse. Has any worked for you?
I still use ancient steroid cream when I have breakouts. The key is to try to stop getting it in the first place. I have stopped buying the foaming soaps. They seem to dry out my hands far worse than liquid soap, and I think liquid soap is supposed to be more effective anyway. I just use regular hand creams or lotions with shea butter.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:25 AM

4,033 posts, read 1,575,672 times
A couple points--

Steroid creams don't go bad over time.

Eczema is not a diagnosis, it's a description (Greek for "rash")….It's caused by the immune system being activated in an unwanted way by an auto-immune process, by an infection (usually fungal), by a chemical exposure (soap, scented product etc) or by trauma (rubbing inside gloves and such).

If it's only on your hands, the chemical exposure or trauma causes become suspiciously more likely.

Your condition could be caused just by repeated "wet/dry" cycles- frequent hand washing or rinsing dries out the skin. It cracks and gets irritated or infected. Don't wash your hands so much and use any cheapo hand cream that contains lanolin, if that's the case.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:53 AM

12,234 posts, read 21,688,410 times
My hands were really, really bad yr. before last (it started after the ins. co. switched my thyroid med. to a generic - The skin was cracked open and bleeding - my Dr. prescribed a steroid ointment but sent me to a Derm. just in case who took swabs to make sure it wasn't fungal. What helped when I didn't use the steroid (I really wanted to limit that) - was slathering on petroleum jelly and cheapo white cotton gloves (got a large pack for a reasonable price on Amazon) - worth trying as petroleum jelly is certainly cheap and safe. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:49 AM

1,580 posts, read 657,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Your condition could be caused just by repeated "wet/dry" cycles- frequent hand washing or rinsing dries out the skin. It cracks and gets irritated or infected. Don't wash your hands so much and use any cheapo hand cream that contains lanolin, if that's the case.
This definitely contributes to the problem, but recommending not handwashing during a pandemic is probably not a great idea.

I have used ALL of the hand creams with varying levels of success. For bad eczema, the Rx is the only thing to get rid of it in my experience. However, once it it under control, it is more a matter of trying to ward it off with good moisturizing (but not too much), barriers such as vinyl gloves for cooking/washing dishes, etc. I personally can't tolerate products with lanolin or latex gloves, so you may need to try a few things to see what is most effective for you.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:04 AM

802 posts, read 350,799 times
You might want to sit out in the sun for a bit a couple of times a week. I have eczema on my face only and I sit in the sun now at least once a week, in a bathing suit, about a half hour on each side. It almost clears up completely. I read it has something to do with controlling a chemical that causes inflammation. It is also a great way to get Vit D. No sunscreen (however I keep makeup with SPF on my face) and it still works. It is the allover sun exposure.
UVB therapy is often prescribed for eczema. Sitting in the sun during the noontime hrs (when UVB is at it's peak) works best.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:58 AM

3,175 posts, read 2,584,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
You might want to sit out in the sun for a bit a couple of times a week. I have eczema on my face only and I sit in the sun now at least once a week, in a bathing suit, about a half hour on each side. It almost clears up completely. I read it has something to do with controlling a chemical that causes inflammation. It is also a great way to get Vit D. No sunscreen (however I keep makeup with SPF on my face) and it still works. It is the allover sun exposure.
UVB therapy is often prescribed for eczema. Sitting in the sun during the noontime hrs (when UVB is at it's peak) works best.
That's a good idea but there's barely any sun where I'm at most of the year.

I do use the bathroom a lot because I try to stay hydrated. I forget to try and not wash the back of my hands since that part doesn't get dirty anyway and it's where I get eczema. I do use a Shea butter cream that helps a lot. Vaseline makes my hands worse. I'll have to start using gloves to do the dishes.

My friend said her ex-bf has eczema and he didn't use anything on it. It was pretty bad for a while but it ended up going away on its own. I don't think I could wait that long though. It's very uncomfortable.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:09 AM

4,574 posts, read 2,740,066 times
I occasionally get eczema on my knees and elbows. Apple cider vinegar lightly sprayed on them will clear them up when nothing else works. You probably already have ACV on hand. It’s worth a try. O’Keefe’s working hands is a wonderful cream that helps heal dry cracked hand.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:13 PM

27,947 posts, read 10,496,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
That's a good idea but there's barely any sun where I'm at most of the year.

I do use the bathroom a lot because I try to stay hydrated. I forget to try and not wash the back of my hands since that part doesn't get dirty anyway and it's where I get eczema. I do use a Shea butter cream that helps a lot. Vaseline makes my hands worse. I'll have to start using gloves to do the dishes.

My friend said her ex-bf has eczema and he didn't use anything on it. It was pretty bad for a while but it ended up going away on its own. I don't think I could wait that long though. It's very uncomfortable.
Do some research on using coconut oil for your condition and also search with Monolaurin. If you use those antiseptic sanitizers they make it all worse...

Old 06-17-2020, 01:23 PM

454 posts, read 110,201 times
This is totally anecdotal and I don't think there's any real medical research on it at all but, there are people who claim they've been helped with NuSkin's glacial marine mud. I used to sell that brand, it's an MLM and their products were pretty good but I got sick of the marketing and pressure to find more consultants so I got out of it. I liked their mud but don't have eczema so I can't give you anything other than "what some people say."

At worst, you'll have a decent mud mask. At best, it'll relieve some of the redness and peeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or