U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

11,001 posts, read 9,238,315 times

Advertisements

You may need to slow down or temporarily stop all those exercises, since they're obviously not helping your back pain, and may be making it worse.

I've had back pain from the L4-5 disk half my life, so know it well. What usually helps me when it flares up is to wear comfortable loose clothes, then lie on the floor on my back, a couple of pillows beneath my head, with my knees bent and lower legs elevated and resting comfortably on a chair or sofa. Adding a heating pad to my back is optional, ditto a cold pack.

I stay this way until it settles down, then give it an hour or so extra. Keeping cell or smart phone, bottled drinks, snacks, reading material, a portable radio, the TV remote, etc. within reach without having to change position helps ward off boredom and/or restlessness. Get up only for absolute necessities. If you can sleep overnight in this position, so much the better. If you can't, try sleeping on your back with a pillow beneath your knees. A pillow between your knees is also helpful for side-sleeping.

Do this every day for a week or so, and see what happens. I did this for two weeks solid - took sick leave from work - in hopes of still taking a long-planned trip out of the country about a month later. It worked, the trip was great, and I'd do it again if I needed to. Best of all, there's no doctors', chiropractors', or personal trainers' bills.

Try it - it won't do any harm, and if it doesn't work, you will need to see a doctor for a complete work-up of your back, to determine what's causing you so much pain. With that knowledge, then you can address it effectively. Otherwise, exercise, trainers, etc. are just potentially costly and even dangerous shots in the dark.

But if your trouble is due to the very common bulging and/or tearing of the L4-5 disk, this treatment will take the pressure off the nearby nerves and may allow the disk to subside and hopefully shrink back into its normal place.

Another encouraging note is that often disk-related back pain subsides as the affected individual ages and the partially ruptured disks dry out, so their content no longer painfully impacts nearby nerves. So you very well may eventually outlive your back pain. But that's a slow process, and for a good chance for faster relief, try my suggestions first. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

76,023 posts, read 88,920,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
OK it doesn't matter why but I am sure a personal trainer is lower cost and not something that is fixed for eternity.

My side hustle from my minimum wage job blew up into something massive over the course of 5 years then was completely decimated by the plague but left me with a pretty decent amount of cash in the bank. No need to get a McJob any time soon, however I really need to do something about core health which brings me back to should I find a personal trainer to help me find some exercises that don't mess up my back more or should I diagnose the issue first to find out if it is even possible.

I haven't been to a doctor in almost 30 years so no idea how this stuff even works.
ok, so it has been weeks now since you posted your question about seeking a personal trainer and so far we have no clue what you decided to do. I certainly hope you didn't go the route of a personal trainer instead of a doctor. OK, so money is an issue as you have no insurance and it sounds like you have too much money to qualify for government assistance. Going to a personal trainer which like isn't going to help much, if at all would waste the money you could use to, at least go to a primary care doctor and get Xrays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or