Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 12:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

I've been living with DDD and advancing OA (lower back) for about 60 yrs and would not start my day without my 30 minute or so stretching regime on my bed. OP: Read some info in the Alternative Med area here...I have a new post on Lauricidin and Monolaurin and there is so much we can do to manage our issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 12:34 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I went to see an orthopedic doctor - mainly to confirm what was causing the pain because I was pretty sure there wasn't much that could be done from a medical or surgical point of view.
Getting a diagnosis from a professional who can take advantage of imaging and other diagnostic tools would be my first step. Not simply to get an idea why I have chronic back pain but also to help me avoid activity that might make the underlying problem worse. You're in pain now. Why on earth would you risk MORE? Once you know what the problem is (or what it isn't) then you can direct your own efforts from there most effectively. If that includes finding a personal trainer, getting PT, icing-heat-anti-inflammatory therapy, or simply using a home grown exercise regimen, so be it. If the problem won't be helped by something, I'd really want to know to avoid injuring myself or wasting my meager money. Kind of a penny-wise pound-foolish thing.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-17-2020 at 12:50 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 01:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
OK it doesn't matter why but I am sure a personal trainer is lower cost and not something that is fixed for eternity.

My side hustle from my minimum wage job blew up into something massive over the course of 5 years then was completely decimated by the plague but left me with a pretty decent amount of cash in the bank. No need to get a McJob any time soon, however I really need to do something about core health which brings me back to should I find a personal trainer to help me find some exercises that don't mess up my back more or should I diagnose the issue first to find out if it is even possible.

I haven't been to a doctor in almost 30 years so no idea how this stuff even works.
Diagnose, then treat. Never treat pain with anything more than OTC pain relievers or meditation, if you don't have a good idea of the cause of the pain. Even applying heat can make it worse, if whatever's causing it requires ice.

If you have degenerative disk disease you'll have lower back pain from standing still for any length of time and it'll get worse eventually whether you do something about it or not. But it's a very slow process. Most older adults have it and don't even know they have it. They just chalk it up to "getting older pain." Sciatica can cause pain when standing but walking can relieve that as well. Sitting for a duration can make it worse. So definitely walk, at least a half hour every day. That includes walking to the mailbox, walking around your house, walking up the street to visit a neighbor, or "scheduled excercise." If you're not already doing 6000 steps every day, make it a goal. If you're doing more than that great!

Strength training is important for degenerative disk disease, increasing your flexibility is good for sciatica.
You don't need a personal trainer for it. If you don't have sharp pains when you try this, try this:

Sit completely erect on a desk chair (or similar - nothing too cushiony). Place your feet flat on the floor, hands in your lap. Now lift your knees up so that your feet are around 2 inches off the floor. Count to 10. Then relax. Repeat 10 times, twice a day.

That will strengthen your core in a zero-impact exercise that doesn't strain any part of your body other than your upper thighs.

Lastly buy the best most comfortable walking shoes you can afford. Your feet support 100% of your body's weight whenever you're standing up. Do everything you can to keep them healthy.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:03 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Getting a diagnosis from a professional who can take advantage of imaging and other diagnostic tools would be my first step. Not simply to get an idea why I have chronic back pain but also to help me avoid activity that might make the underlying problem worse. You're in pain now. Why on earth would you risk MORE? Once you know what the problem is (or what it isn't) then you can direct your own efforts from there most effectively. If that includes finding a personal trainer, getting PT, icing-heat-anti-inflammatory therapy, or simply using a home grown exercise regimen, so be it. If the problem won't be helped by something, I'd really want to know to avoid injuring myself or wasting my meager money. Kind of a penny-wise pound-foolish thing.
This x1000 OP. I have had back pain for the past 5 or so years - same as the OP - hurts to stand (could not stand in place for more than 3-5 minutes without having to bend over to stretch) but walking was OK. I just started going to doctor last year to help determine what it was. After an X-ray which showed some narrowing between lower discs but they weren't touching, they had me do a course of PT (apparently insurance wanted to see that before approving an MRI, since the pain wasn't keeping me doubled over in pain all the time.) Eventually got to the point where I could stand for about 10 min without pain, but then that regressed a bit (3 months worth of PT plus following the regimen at home on days I didnt physically go to PT). Beginning of this year I had an MRI where they saw my sciatic nerve was impinged by inflamation and offered either cortisone shots or a laminectomy. They said with shots usually if you are going to feel relief, it is within 24-48 hours but sometimes you need a couple of doses in succession before they take effect. Had 1st set of shots in Feb, they didn't do much. Had 2nd round in March right before world shut down (and they didn't do much either). Fast forward 6 weeks to end of April and my back is almost back to normal. I still feel it if I overdue it by standing for too long or sit in my work chair for too long, but for the most part I can stand and walk without pain - very refreshing. Also, I have reduced the frequency at which I perform the exercises (from daily to 3 times per week) but have upped my walking and am lifting weights again. My point is that good imaging will help focus a treatment plan and potentially let you get to relief faster.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:15 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yep. My dad was sort of the same way. He’s retired and didn’t want to get the imaging but was just doing stretches, but eventually went to get an MRI. He got referred to PT (which is now stopped, but he can still try to exercise from home) and probably would not do surgery since he is in his 70s, but at least he got an idea of what his problem is and what he can do to help the problem. Honestly in his case, he sits around all day and is super sedentary. Just getting up and walking 5000 steps a day would probably help tremendously.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:41 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Right. I want good ab exercises I can do without exacerbating the problem and also without falling over (I have balance issues too). If not for that for that issue I would be in the best shape of my life right now.

Surgery, probably not. It's like 11:58 anyway.
My husband had degenerative disc disease in his back and one of the biggest things that helped him was a sleep number bed. We got a knock off. It was way cheaper. Some nights he needed it softer. And some nights he needed it harder. It’s pretty much the only way you’re going to get that in one bed.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:50 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
Slow Motion says: "No health insurance, haven't been to doctor in decades as a matter of fact.?

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing problems with your back. You don't indicate what your age is, but you may be spending your last years in "Slow Motion."

I'm now 70 years of age, and have been insured every minute of my life. Fortunately, I don't hurt anywhere, and that I can work hard with the young men.

My poor wife has not been so lucky, as she inherited some kind of syndrome that affected her spine and joints. Simply put, she's eat up with arthritis and has had to have a number of surgeries including knee replacement ($92K) and one shoulder reconstruction. She was at the doctor today after having two eye surgeries last year. And she had a bladder tuck early last year related to her uterine cancer 14 years ago. Her hiatal hernia surgery year before last did wonders, and she's not had any bouts of pneumonia since. And to think--she's very healthy otherwise.

We would have been poor and destitute had it not been for healthcare insurance. And the chances are that my wife would be living in some out in the country nursing home that accepts Medicaid. My wife is a success story for proper pain management, and she's very active in our community and church. She continues to travel the world extensively--visiting Europe 2x last year.

God has been watching over you all the past years if it's taken so long for you to be in serious pain. Remember that pain is there for a reason as a reminder that a change is needed. Sometimes that change requires medicines and/or surgeries. And don't be a He-Man and ignore the pain. Very often, people that ignore pain get past the point of no return and nothing can be done to help solve their problem. Being an invalid is no fun.

And remember that O'Bamacare will pay for existing conditions. But I assume you're too stubborn to pay the premiums with sky high deductibles and co-pays.

I just hope you have someone willing to change your bedpans in your future years. Not being proactive in dealing with healthcare comes with a price to pay. And being completely miserable is not the way to live.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:02 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
I've had hip and lower back pain for a bit over a year now. I finally broke down and went to a foot store that sells orthotics. That was my first step to fixing my issue because the owner mentioned that my right arch had collapsed (and it had, I just didn't realize it) which is why my left hip was in so much pain. Second, I found that I had developed bursitis in that same hip and got a steroid shot in it, which has also been super helpful. I'll need a second shot at some point, but I am in much less pain than before. When my hip hurt, so did my lower back, it all seemed to be tied together. I do have insurance though, through the marketplace. That might be an option for you?

Old 06-17-2020, 07:49 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Been living with back pain for over 20 yrs now.

STRETCH everyday. If not you will be piling strain upon strain upon staring onto your lower back. You must relive the strain EVERYDAY by stretching.

If your back feels out of whack WEAR A BACK BELT to support your back to keep it aligned.

Lie on the floor for a few minutes. It resets your back.

Leg strength. Get you some.

Hydrate Proper Sleep Proper footwear. Proper Diet all very important.

And YES eventually do see someone to order an MRI to pinpoint the problem.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Many people can be helped with building core strength, but going to a personal trainer is NOT the way to go about it since they aren’t going to do the same type of assessment that a physical therapist (or even a chiropractor) will do. Both the PT and the chiropractor will usually have some sort of x-ray or imaging to review to figure out what the problem is. With the trainer, the OP would be going in blind and could make the problem worse.
Yes, this is my point more than anything: 1-as I have said PT are not cheap and the OP could do more damage than be helped without really knowing what the problem is. Not to mention she could just be throwing money away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness