U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2020, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,677 posts, read 2,446,133 times
Reputation: 1497

Advertisements

For 15 years.


No health insurance, haven't been to doctor in decades as a matter of fact.


Standing a long time for example is very difficult though oddly enough I can walk for several miles before I start to feel it, or pedal on a stationary bike for 30 to 60 mins before the pain starts to set in.



Was content to accept is as a fact of life all these years, except somehow the rest of me is getting into much better shape. As in lost almost 50 lbs since 2018 and really toned muscles from resistance band training. This was almost accidental.



Now I am trying to work on strengthening my core and even following YouTube low impact ab exercises and back pain exercises, seems like I am just hurting my back more.



So while back pain was something to be lived with and ignored, core/ab training is very important to me.



Should I find a personal trainer to help me find a program or how do I find out exactly what is causing my back to hurt so I can try to figure out how to proceed from there?


(Note, I do not have health insurance. Employer based health insurance is not an option because I don't have a job or any plans to get one. I do have savings I might be able to drain to a degree to improve my quality of life however).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2020, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
76,023 posts, read 88,920,760 times
Reputation: 46854
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
For 15 years.


No health insurance, haven't been to doctor in decades as a matter of fact.


Standing a long time for example is very difficult though oddly enough I can walk for several miles before I start to feel it, or pedal on a stationary bike for 30 to 60 mins before the pain starts to set in.



Was content to accept is as a fact of life all these years, except somehow the rest of me is getting into much better shape. As in lost almost 50 lbs since 2018 and really toned muscles from resistance band training. This was almost accidental.



Now I am trying to work on strengthening my core and even following YouTube low impact ab exercises and back pain exercises, seems like I am just hurting my back more.



So while back pain was something to be lived with and ignored, core/ab training is very important to me.



Should I find a personal trainer to help me find a program or how do I find out exactly what is causing my back to hurt so I can try to figure out how to proceed from there?


(Note, I do not have health insurance. Employer based health insurance is not an option because I don't have a job or any plans to get one. I do have savings I might be able to drain to a degree to improve my quality of life however).
Only 2 comments here: 1-you are right you will probably have to live with the back pain your entire life if you do not have insurance and 2-you are not interested in working, you say you will not go back you have no heath insurance because you can't afford it, but you are thinking about hiring a private trainer. I don't get it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
17,875 posts, read 22,354,405 times
Reputation: 18999
I guess you will have to live with pain. Hire a personal trainer when you don't work or can't afford health insurance I don't get it. can't you qualify for low cost or free Health insurance? You say you don't work or have plans to get a job why? Are you retired or just lazy? I find it amusing that you want to hire a personal trainer but you can't afford healthcare and do not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
4,063 posts, read 9,849,466 times
Reputation: 4920
I have lower back pain caused by osteoarthritis in my SI joints and deterioration of the lower lumbar vertebrae. Exercise, ice, ibuprofen, and a support belt all help me manage it. Additionally, I see a chiropractor occasionally who only charges $25 a visit.

I found a lot of good information on this website including exercises which are probably the most critical thing to managing the pain. https://www.spine-health.com

You can go see a PT, but you might want to try doing some of these on your own first to see if they help.

I went to see an orthopedic doctor - mainly to confirm what was causing the pain because I was pretty sure there wasn't much that could be done from a medical or surgical point of view. He confirmed that the exercise, ice/heat, ibuprofen, and chiro were all helpful and he's the one that suggested the support belt. The one he recommended was $49 on Amazon but I found one for $17 that seems to do the trick.

Sorry you're having to deal with this - I feel your pain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,677 posts, read 2,446,133 times
Reputation: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I guess you will have to live with pain. Hire a personal trainer when you don't work or can't afford health insurance I don't get it. can't you qualify for low cost or free Health insurance? You say you don't work or have plans to get a job why? Are you retired or just lazy? I find it amusing that you want to hire a personal trainer but you can't afford healthcare and do not work.

OK it doesn't matter why but I am sure a personal trainer is lower cost and not something that is fixed for eternity.



My side hustle from my minimum wage job blew up into something massive over the course of 5 years then was completely decimated by the plague but left me with a pretty decent amount of cash in the bank. No need to get a McJob any time soon, however I really need to do something about core health which brings me back to should I find a personal trainer to help me find some exercises that don't mess up my back more or should I diagnose the issue first to find out if it is even possible.



I haven't been to a doctor in almost 30 years so no idea how this stuff even works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
39,764 posts, read 49,117,562 times
Reputation: 67899
I have chronic back pain also. It’s from arthritis and it is only helped by periodic epidurals and cortisone shots. A chiropractor or physical therapy will not cure the problem, so it’s a waste of money.

Find out what self pay for these things cost, instead of throwing money away on things that are just bandaids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
76,023 posts, read 88,920,760 times
Reputation: 46854
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
OK it doesn't matter why but I am sure a personal trainer is lower cost and not something that is fixed for eternity.



My side hustle from my minimum wage job blew up into something massive over the course of 5 years then was completely decimated by the plague but left me with a pretty decent amount of cash in the bank. No need to get a McJob any time soon, however I really need to do something about core health which brings me back to should I find a personal trainer to help me find some exercises that don't mess up my back more or should I diagnose the issue first to find out if it is even possible.



I haven't been to a doctor in almost 30 years so no idea how this stuff even works.
I believe the point that some of us are trying to make is: spending money on a personal trainer over seeing a doctor is not what most would think of as a wise move. And probably not going to be much help. Basic lower back pain is something that will only be helped with shots, maybe a chiropractor or last, but not least surgery. Oh a heat or ice pad can give some relief, but a personal trainer may claim he/she can help but they will just take your money and not do much else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,677 posts, read 2,446,133 times
Reputation: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I believe the point that some of us are trying to make is: spending money on a personal trainer over seeing a doctor is not what most would think of as a wise move. And probably not going to be much help. Basic lower back pain is something that will only be helped with shots, maybe a chiropractor or last, but not least surgery. Oh a heat or ice pad can give some relief, but a personal trainer may claim he/she can help but they will just take your money and not do much else.



Right. I want good ab exercises I can do without exacerbating the problem and also without falling over (I have balance issues too). If not for that for that issue I would be in the best shape of my life right now.


Surgery, probably not. It's like 11:58 anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 11:27 AM
 
5,859 posts, read 2,576,735 times
Reputation: 11386
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I believe the point that some of us are trying to make is: spending money on a personal trainer over seeing a doctor is not what most would think of as a wise move. And probably not going to be much help. Basic lower back pain is something that will only be helped with shots, maybe a chiropractor or last, but not least surgery. Oh a heat or ice pad can give some relief, but a personal trainer may claim he/she can help but they will just take your money and not do much else.
Many people can be helped with building core strength, but going to a personal trainer is NOT the way to go about it since they aren’t going to do the same type of assessment that a physical therapist (or even a chiropractor) will do. Both the PT and the chiropractor will usually have some sort of x-ray or imaging to review to figure out what the problem is. With the trainer, the OP would be going in blind and could make the problem worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 11:39 AM
 
143 posts, read 19,941 times
Reputation: 55
Sorry for some of the rude responses to your question. You owe no one anything except the facts asking for advice, not defending yourself.


You'd need to eat organic whole foods as it could be osteoperosis. Or any issue that can be helped by proper nutrition and exercse. Those combinations are the best


I've had pre-osteoperosis since a child and always had back pain. I too am in shape via cycling yet it's my back that suffers most.


An extra soft bed helps. Also at thrift stores, you may be able to find some inexpensive vibrating thing to place on that area for temporary help. It sure helps me.



Eating right caused my bones to become stronger at 30 yrs old. Otherwise yes back pain is consistent, yet manageable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top