U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 07:30 AM

13,417 posts, read 23,060,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My take too. There's all sorts of misinformation floating around out there. As long as you don't come down with Covid-19 within a week of the shot, there should be no problem. Their concern is probably an asymptomatic carrier, which would probably make the Shingrix shot ineffective. Nobody will give any vaccine if you are fighting off an illness, even a cold.

To do it by the numbers, the OP could be tested for the coronavirus before getting the shot, and then go home for a week.
You'd be surprised. The grand kids peds give vaccines when the kids are sick (I'm old school and against it), they say if they wait until they're better the vaccine may not happen because kids are always sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 08:23 AM

16,088 posts, read 20,827,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nope.

https://gskpro.com/en-us/products/shingrix/dosing/

"If more than 6 months have elapsed since the first dose, administer the second dose as soon as possible. You should not restart the vaccine series."
That's what the pharmacist told me. She assured me that the effectiveness of the shots was proven as long as the second shot was given with one year of the first shot. Beyond that, she didnt think they ever thought it would be necessary to evaluate.

I'm just gonna let it hang until I get close to that one year date. There's plenty of other things to worry about.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:47 AM

999 posts, read 426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
The second pharmacist said the CDC is actually recommending delaying that shot due to lowered immune resistance to COVID? Good Lord; WAIT.
That is exactly what I was told when I called Pharmacy#2 to order my #2 dose. They said CDC said "wait and see" and discuss with my doctor when I see her in under 2 weeks (I could also email her and get an answer sooner).

It is possible that Pharmacy#1 mailed me their "get in here" letter before CDC issued their guidance. I was confounded by the difference in the pharmacies stances. I had no reaction at all to shot#1 but my spouse had tender arm for several days from his #1 and #2 (yes he got his done).

Old 06-20-2020, 09:47 AM

239 posts, read 183,572 times
If you are not exposed to Covid you can't get it. So if your getting the shot takes a few minutes in an area where everyone is wearing a mask, and you go home and stay isolated (and so do your family members) for at least a week, you are reducing your risk dramatically. Just wear a shirt that can be pulled up toward your shoulder. Follow the advice given above about not touching things. Sanitize your hands as soon as you leave and scrub them when you get home.

So if I were you, I'd get it. From what I've seen, getting shingles is beyond awful. Neither my husband nor I had a reaction to the first dose of Shingrix. Both of us had reactions to the second -- he felt beyond awful that evening but was fine the next day. I felt really crummy but not in-bed crummy for about three days.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
If you are not exposed to Covid you can't get it. So if your getting the shot takes a few minutes in an area where everyone is wearing a mask, and you go home and stay isolated (and so do your family members) for at least a week, you are reducing your risk dramatically. Just wear a shirt that can be pulled up toward your shoulder. Follow the advice given above about not touching things. Sanitize your hands as soon as you leave and scrub them when you get home.

So if I were you, I'd get it. From what I've seen, getting shingles is beyond awful. Neither my husband nor I had a reaction to the first dose of Shingrix. Both of us had reactions to the second -- he felt beyond awful that evening but was fine the next day. I felt really crummy but not in-bed crummy for about three days.
"Not everyone wearing a mask" is why I'm skipping Pharmacy#1 in a grocery store that 60% or more shoppers don't wear masks and shot is given in grocery aisle, in a state with big increases of infection numbers. I'm right at border of SC and NC. Getting the shot in a room with me and other person wearing a mask is what I'll do after my doctor says when to do that. Spouse and I have been stay-at-home, having groceries delivered since he has several negative health factors. I don't want to bring it home or get it.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:12 PM

452 posts, read 687,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I managed to get my #1 Shingrix vaccine end of January but other matters delayed me getting #2 Shingrix 2 months after #1 (that's the soonest can do it) and then Covid19 came to roost.

I just got a reminder from the pharmacy to get my butt in there for #2 shot before the 6 month deadline end of July. I'd already decided to go to different pharmacy because original pharmacy gives shots next to grocery aisle, no private room. Yes weird, but I didn't know that before doing it.

So I called the better pharmacy (they have private room) to schedule and they said CDC is saying don't rush to get Shingrix because it lowers immune system for some time. So first pharmacy says "come in ASAP" whereas second pharmacy says "wait a bit." I think I will go with "wait a bit" pharmacy advice.

Any other C-D'rs have this dilemma?
Did you have any adverse reaction to the first shot? I am thinking about an increase in body temp as I develop antibodies. I get measured every day at work and will be sent home for 2 weeks if I get a fever. It was prescribed to me in mid-March but I am waiting until this blows over.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Did you have any adverse reaction to the first shot? I am thinking about an increase in body temp as I develop antibodies. I get measured every day at work and will be sent home for 2 weeks if I get a fever. It was prescribed to me in mid-March but I am waiting until this blows over.
I had no reaction at all. My spouse's reaction on his shots was a sore arm, nothing else.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:38 PM

7,213 posts, read 3,226,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post

I don't think the recommendation to wait is because one may be exposed to COVID while out getting the shot.

The concern is about viral interference. That an immune system reacting to the shot will not be as able to resist COVID.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:51 PM

26,668 posts, read 30,923,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't think the recommendation to wait is because one may be exposed to COVID while out getting the shot.

The concern is about viral interference. That an immune system reacting to the shot will not be as able to resist COVID.
https://www.immunize.org/askexperts/experts_covid19.asp

"An infant in my practice is due for vaccinations but just tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection (the virus that causes COVID-19). She has no symptoms. Should we keep her vaccination appointment?
No. CDC recommends deferring vaccination of people while infected with SARS-CoV-2, regardless of symptoms, until they meet the criteria to discontinue isolation. Although mild illness is not a contraindication to vaccination, vaccination is deferred to avoid exposing healthcare personnel or other patients to SARS-CoV-2."

"How should we approach influenza vaccination when COVID-19 is or may be circulating during influenza season?
During the COVID-19 pandemic, reducing the overall burden of respiratory illnesses is important to protect vulnerable populations at risk for severe illness, the healthcare system, and other critical infrastructure. It is more critical than ever to use every opportunity during the influenza vaccination season to administer influenza vaccines to everyone who needs it. Influenza vaccination is recommended for all people age 6 months and older."

"Some patients develop flu-like symptoms or fever after vaccination with recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV, Shingrix; GSK). Should I defer Shingrix vaccination because such a reaction might be confused with COVID-19?
No. If you have an opportunity to vaccinate a patient age 50 years or older who is due for dose 1 or dose 2 of Shingrix, proceed with vaccination as usual. It is important to counsel the patient about the risk of self-limited side effects, including local reactions, such as redness, pain, or swelling at the injection site, and systemic reactions, which include fever, chills, headache, and body aches. If they occur, such side effects normally resolve within 72 hours after vaccination.
Because of concerns about COVID-19, if a vaccine recipient develops fever after vaccination, they should stay home until it resolves. Shingrix vaccination does not cause respiratory symptoms common in COVID-19, such as cough or shortness of breath. If the vaccine recipient develops new symptoms of cough or shortness of breath, or if fever does not resolve within 72 hours of vaccination, the recipient should contact their healthcare provider."

Old 06-20-2020, 11:49 PM

570 posts, read 362,389 times
Ha, I had the same thing as you, OP, for my first shingles shot back when it first came out. It was in winter, and they put me in a chair next to the pharmacy counter, in a public area of a small drug store. I went in with a sweater with sleeves that would not roll up. Two of the women employees came to shield me from view as I took off my sweater just on the one side, and the pharmacist whipped that needle in and out. The second was in summer, loose short sleeved t shirt, no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness