U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 05:00 AM

13,415 posts, read 23,060,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
The problem is other people...no masks, no store requirement to wear them although employees do, my area has had a upward spike in infections since re-opening has been allowed of many more businesses.

My first shot was in January and I had to take off several layers of clothes just to get to my upper arm, in public, grocery carts moving past and sick people waiting at the pharmacy counter and on the bench next to it (where they give shots) to get their meds. Not something I want to repeat now in a pandemic. It felt very third world. Why can't my doctor's nurse give me this shot? How do I know the hygiene of the person behind the counter giving me this shot, who also touches the cash register, credit card machine, etc, etc.

I paid $165 for the first shot it felt like I was in a county low-budget clinic.
Doctors do not stock the vaccine, it's only available at pharmacies. Speak to the pharmacy and doctor to ask if you can purchase the vaccine and bring it with you to a doctor visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
If you are not exposed to Covid you can't get it. So if your getting the shot takes a few minutes in an area where everyone is wearing a mask, and you go home and stay isolated (and so do your family members) for at least a week, you are reducing your risk dramatically. Just wear a shirt that can be pulled up toward your shoulder. Follow the advice given above about not touching things. Sanitize your hands as soon as you leave and scrub them when you get home.

So if I were you, I'd get it. From what I've seen, getting shingles is beyond awful. Neither my husband nor I had a reaction to the first dose of Shingrix. Both of us had reactions to the second -- he felt beyond awful that evening but was fine the next day. I felt really crummy but not in-bed crummy for about three days.
I agree with getting it within the 6 month period. I don't think they know enough about the vaccine to say it's ok to wait up to a year to be protected from shingles. Everyone that waits is being a test rat IMO... If you end up with shingles then they'll know it has to be within 6 months.

I've had shingles on my right head, forehead and eye area, even on my lid where the eye lashes are. They're worried I'll lose my eye if I get it again. I'm thankful I got to the doctor the same day I got the rash. It was the worst pain I've ever had in my life and I live with chronic back pain; can't be medicated except for 2 meds due to allergies to medications. It felt like an ice pic being driven thru my eye.

I was going back and forth on whether I should even get the vaccine due to allergies and eventually decided to get it. It almost closed my throat, so I won't be getting the 2nd shot. My doctor doesn't want me risking it. If I could, it would be within that 6 months time because I wouldn't chance having it be non-effective.

I now live with fear of getting shingles again because I couldn't get both doses. I don't know if one dose plus having shingles will be enough to keep me safe. Will it bother you wondering if you'll be protected not having it as scheduled?

Quote:
That is exactly what I was told when I called Pharmacy#2 to order my #2 dose. They said CDC said "wait and see" and discuss with my doctor when I see her in under 2 weeks (I could also email her and get an answer sooner).

It is possible that Pharmacy#1 mailed me their "get in here" letter before CDC issued their guidance. I was confounded by the difference in the pharmacies stances. I had no reaction at all to shot#1 but my spouse had tender arm for several days from his #1 and #2 (yes he got his done).
I'd love to see the CDC page on it.

I think the pharmacy staff doesn't want to do immunizations if they can help it because they don't want to be exposed to COVID and sick people right now. I'm not a pro-vaccine or anti-vaccine person. I've always been the type to do it smartly. If your immune system was bad like mine I'd advise you to consider the pros and cons. If you're normally a healthy person and aren't sick, consider doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 06:23 AM

879 posts, read 247,749 times
Done Deal. I took care of it last Monday..It's a 2 Dosis Vaccine, the second one needs to be applied bewtween 2 and 6 months from this one, the Pharmacy will be contacting me when they feel its the right time.

No soreness in the upper arm at all.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Done Deal. I took care of it last Monday..It's a 2 Dosis Vaccine, the second one needs to be applied bewtween 2 and 6 months from this one, the Pharmacy will be contacting me when they feel its the right time.

No soreness in the upper arm at all.

Without being aware, or not thinking correctly, I went this AM to donate Blood and was stopped on my tracks because of the vaccine a few days bACK..While there, the Phlebotomist that knows me for a few years by now, rescheduled me for July 13. I'm looking forward to this encounter, because I will get not only the regular results on line such as Cholesterol, Blood Pressure and the likes, but now also the Covi-19 Antibodies totally free.

If someone here reads this and wants the TEST of the Antibodies for Free, check with your local blood bank, they are probably offering it to their donors free of charge too.

I hope this can help at least one Human Bein out there...

Greetings Folks.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:57 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,674,357 times
Quote:
The problem is other people...no masks, no store requirement to wear them although employees do, my area has had a upward spike in infections since re-opening has been allowed of many more businesses.

My first shot was in January and I had to take off several layers of clothes just to get to my upper arm, in public, grocery carts moving past and sick people waiting at the pharmacy counter and on the bench next to it (where they give shots) to get their meds. Not something I want to repeat now in a pandemic. It felt very third world. Why can't my doctor's nurse give me this shot? How do I know the hygiene of the person behind the counter giving me this shot, who also touches the cash register, credit card machine, etc, etc.

I paid $165 for the first shot it felt like I was in a county low-budget clinic.
You could just wear a short-sleeve shirt.

If your doctor's office has the vaccine, yes, you can get it done there instead of the pharmacy.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

If your doctor's office has the vaccine, yes, you can get it done there instead of the pharmacy.
twinkletwinkle22 . . I paid $35.00 at the Publix (Supermarket) Pharmacy, and I thought that was high, shoot I made out like a bandit compared with you !!!

Old 06-21-2020, 06:21 PM

26,664 posts, read 30,923,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'd love to see the CDC page on it.
See post 29 above.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

I was told by my GP that only pharmacies have the vaccine, so she would have to do as I suggested by seeing if she can buy it at the pharmacy and take to her doctor to give

Old 06-22-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I was told by my GP that only pharmacies have the vaccine, so she would have to do as I suggested by seeing if she can buy it at the pharmacy and take to her doctor to give
THat is why he never mentioned I could have it at his practice, he sent me instead to the Publix Pharmacy, where all my famili Rx's come from.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
THat is why he never mentioned I could have it at his practice, he sent me instead to the Publix Pharmacy, where all my famili Rx's come from.
I had asked my doctor for it when I saw her last year, she told me it's only available at pharmacies. I don't recall why doctors offices don't get it, probably because pharmacies use it a lot more then a doctors office would since people don't have to make an appointment to get a vaccine.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:45 PM

26,664 posts, read 30,923,641 times
Doctors' offices can get Shingrix. Some physicians do not offer vaccines because they are expensive to purchase and store. Larger clinics may do so.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...ne%20Finder%20.

"Shingrix is available in doctor’s offices and pharmacies."

As far as adult vaccines are concerned, some doctors will have standing orders that allow a nurse to give them without an appointment with the primary provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness