U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 03:08 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,674,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I was told by my GP that only pharmacies have the vaccine, so she would have to do as I suggested by seeing if she can buy it at the pharmacy and take to her doctor to give

I got my first shingles shot at my doctor's office.

They eventually ran out, and have been referring to the pharmacy, but doctors can and do give them in the office if they have it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 11:59 AM

6,117 posts, read 7,052,948 times
I had my first Shingrix vaccine in February and had the second one yesterday. I had a slight reaction to the first vaccine and my arm was sore for about 10 days. So far, I have not had any reaction to the second shot.

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of this vaccine anymore. It took me a few months of waiting to get my first shot. I called yesterday and the pharmacy said to come in anytime.

I also received the pneumococcal vaccine when I got the first Shingrix shot. They will notify me a year after the first shot to get the second. Hopefully I'll have the Covid-19 vaccine by then.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,046,735 times
I had my second Shingrix shot a few weeks ago; about five and a half months after the first. CVS, where I had the first shot, was not giving any shots until then; I was worried that I would miss the deadline. No side-effects (unlike the first shot). I just hope I don't ever get Shingles again...

Old 06-24-2020, 09:37 PM

27,907 posts, read 10,485,004 times
My neighbor, 94, opted for her first one in January and since then she has had fevers, shivering/chills and these two are listed in the Common Side Effects. I still have a hard time believing she did this as she is so anti pharma drug for her body and reads the possible side effects when given a script for one and does not take it. Works to seek out alternatives for the issue she may be having at the time. Talking to her today I straight out told her she put a toxin in her body.
Now she's taking daily homeopathic remedy (Oscillo) to reduce what she's dealing with...

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/shingrix-side-effects.html

Old 06-24-2020, 11:43 PM

26,664 posts, read 30,923,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My neighbor, 94, opted for her first one in January and since then she has had fevers, shivering/chills and these two are listed in the Common Side Effects. I still have a hard time believing she did this as she is so anti pharma drug for her body and reads the possible side effects when given a script for one and does not take it. Works to seek out alternatives for the issue she may be having at the time. Talking to her today I straight out told her she put a toxin in her body.
Now she's taking daily homeopathic remedy (Oscillo) to reduce what she's dealing with...

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/shingrix-side-effects.html
A vaccine taken five months ago would not cause "fevers, shivering/chills" now. She needs to see a doctor.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:28 PM

27,907 posts, read 10,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A vaccine taken five months ago would not cause "fevers, shivering/chills" now. She needs to see a doctor.
That's what she's doing now as I mentioned above...but it surprises me as she is one who reads all the list of possible side effects of drugs and obviously didn't with this shingrix...anyone ever read the list? I guess she wasn't thinking "it's a drug".... As far as timing when she took the shingrix, could have been Jan or there abouts, but she says she's been having fevers and shivering issues for some time but didn't mention to me....she doesn't "report" everything to me....

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-25-2020 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 01:05 PM

26,664 posts, read 30,923,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's what she's doing now as I mentioned above...but it surprises me as she is one who reads all the list of possible side effects of drugs and obviously didn't with this shingrix...anyone ever read the list? I guess she wasn't thinking "it's a drug".... As far as timing when she took the shingrix, could have been Jan or there abouts, but she says she's been having fevers and shivering issues for some time but didn't mention to me....she doesn't "report" everything to me....
The vaccine can cause fever and chills for a day or two after it is received. That is caused by the immune system responding to the vaccine. Fever and chills months afterwards are not due to the Shingrix vaccine.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:21 PM

12,043 posts, read 15,646,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
That is exactly what I was told when I called Pharmacy#2 to order my #2 dose. They said CDC said "wait and see" and discuss with my doctor when I see her in under 2 weeks (I could also email her and get an answer sooner).

It is possible that Pharmacy#1 mailed me their "get in here" letter before CDC issued their guidance. I was confounded by the difference in the pharmacies stances. I had no reaction at all to shot#1 but my spouse had tender arm for several days from his #1 and #2 (yes he got his done).
Most likely reason. Where I work the pharmacy has a lot of auto-generated customer communication, including reminders for this, that, and the other.
Since the shingrix vaccine has to be stored in a refrigerator it's probably not something the pharmacy would be willing to release to a patient to carry off elsewhere.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:46 PM

6,117 posts, read 7,052,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The vaccine can cause fever and chills for a day or two after it is received. That is caused by the immune system responding to the vaccine. Fever and chills months afterwards are not due to the Shingrix vaccine.
My son who is a physician, told me that it is actually good to have a minor response to the vaccine. It shows that your body has activated the immune system without causing the disease. I didn't have a response until 24 hours after the shot and then I was achy all over and had slight chills for around 4-5 hours. It was gone by the next morning.

Old Today, 09:25 AM

45 posts, read 2,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Thanks for this, I wondered but no time today to research. I see my doc for mid-year checkup in 2 weeks and will get her opinion. I am in NC and stay-at-home mode since forever, she will know what's happening in my area with Covid19. There has been an infection # increase since things re-opened.
Just go. Get it over with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness